It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Please ATSers. Is it safe to travel to Thailand?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi guys basically my 22 year old girlfriend and her 4 friends are planning a holiday to Thailand, I have no idea why thats the destination that they are totally set on. My gf is a very beautiful, blonde haired young girl and a friend of mine who went there a couple years ago said that she was gettig her blonde hair stroked all the time nby passers by in the street which I thought was a bit odd.

In the press in the last couple years there have been cases of British girls being raped or murdered over there which is why im so concerned, Also due to the polital unstability a while ago which resulting in riots and airports closing. My gf is a loverley, very sensible girl, but not terribly street smart. She had £20 stolen from her the other week when she was in a bar and im really worried that something could happen to her.

I've also heard cases of police corruption over there and if she was arrested (not that she would ever do something to get herself in the situation, but abroad who knows what they might do) I would be terrified for her.Her older brother has also come back from tavelling.including Thailand and he is telling her not to go as its too dangerous and since he has recently been there I cant help feeling that his concerns are rightfully justified.

I want to know more though and if avnyone can shed some light on the country it would be appreciated as I know that the total % of these crimes are probably very low, but I cant help feeling really worried about her planning a trip to there. I'd much rather them go somewhere safer, but my knowledge is mostly coming from the paper so Im hoping that I am just being the typical ott concerned bf and getting worried more than I shoould. So please anyone with first hand knowledge or any knowledge please share so I can decide if I need to convince her to change the desination or if I need to just stop worrying so much and just make sure she knows which areas to avoid/stick to.

This is concerning me a lot so I appreciate taking your times to reply and help me out, thanks guys n girls

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Just be positive and smile and everywhere is safe on this beatiful planet

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I wish that was indeed the case my friend

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I lived in Thailand for 3 months, I got married there and am going back with my wife in November for a holiday. The Thai people are one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Trust me I know, I have travelled around the world, so should know.

Your girlfriend will have absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact its you who is more likely to be pestered by Thai girls! Doesnt matter what part of Thailand you visit you will be made very welcome and will be respected.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My nephew was in Thailand for two weeks last year, and he had a blast. He loved it.

Like any place, it has some areas she might not want to go, I'm sure. But staying in the mainstream areas, should be fine.

The pictures he brought back were awesome! He looked like he was having so much fun. (Too much fun?)

You should go with her!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

thanks for the reply, made me feel a lot better. I understood that my bias about the country was probably due to exagerated news articles. Would you recommend them to stay in certain areas or not to go anywhere in particular??? When her brother was there him and his matyes went away from the main touristy parts and they said that they had some problems, like being hounded by drug dealers and were worried that they would be robbed for declining.

Also can you be arrested for talkimg to a dealer out there? I was once told that even saying 'no' to one can get you arrested as you are not suppost to acknowledge them at all, but that might have been a diferent country though.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Thailand is still relatively a safe country although I strongly suggest you keep to the touristy areas where there are always plenty of tourists around.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Heres what the Australian travel advisory says about Thailand
I wont say either way to go or stay .
thats her choice, but at least you have some information to help you decide.
The Uk may have a similar site to see what they say as well
www.smartraveller.gov.au...
from the site.

Safety and Security
Terrorism
There is a threat of terrorist attack in Thailand. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including locations tourists and foreigners may frequent.
Thai authorities have on a number of occasions warned of the possibility of bombings in Thailand to coincide with symbolic dates or holidays, including in Bangkok and the southern provinces.

and this

In Thailand, penalties for drug offences are severe and include the death penalty. The possession of even small quantities of "soft drugs" for recreational purposes can result in lengthy jail sentences and deportation.
The death penalty can also be imposed for murder, rape, crimes against the state including treason, and certain offences against the monarchy.
Lengthy prison terms up to 15 years can be imposed for insulting the monarchy or defacing images of the monarch and his family. This includes destroying bank notes bearing the King's image.
Foreigners are required to carry identification at all times.
Almost all forms of gambling (other than at a few major race tracks) are illegal in Thailand. There can be heavy penalties for illegal gambling of any form.
Penalties for shoplifting, including at airports, include heavy fines and detention.

deny ignorance and be safer for it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yea her brother had a blast there as well. Did your nephew do the river where you float along in a tyre and stop at all the bars along the way?

I have offered to go with her, but its a girls holiday where al her friends are going in a group so I dont think her friends would be too happy about me stealing her away.

I would love to go there though. I have a boys only holiday later in the year at a festival that my band are playing and she was asked to model at a fashion show that the festval puts on and she declined the offer because she knew my mates would be gutted ifI was with her the whole week so after that there no way I can crash her holiday after that unfortunately.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Thank you thats really helpfull. One of my main concerns is police corruption, she would never knowingly break the law, but I worry that abroad foreigners are sometimes targeted and arrested for offences that never occured. I know every guy says this about their gf, but she is very gorgeous and I worry that if someone were to target a girl it would be someone like her.

Im not one of theose over protective bf's but she means a lot to me and I cant help being worried

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Dont listen to this guy above, What you want to do is fly to to vietnam and get into contact with some real low life smuggler gang types lay 4-5 thousand euro's their way tell em you need guns and high altitude free fall gear. Then you exchange goods you meet him on a small tarmac outside of Pleiku and board wait for green and HALO in mate. Hopefully youll have a preset course for your initial descent because i cant baby you here I'm guiding you on the right path to save your girlfriend and her friends who are worth A-lot of vietnamese dongs ( I know look it up). Anyways after you make fall your going to need to ditch your gear in a small water inlet the murkier the better throw everything in but the essentials and a small pistol that one would hope you acquired earlier from said smuggler if he didnt kill you alread y which they might so watch out for that too.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I heard Thailand is a great place for the kids!!

Sorry, I just had to

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Ha, I knew someone had to

It was less than a year ago that all the political riots happened as well wasnt it? people were shot and bombs detonated and airports all closed

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Dont listen to those who post on this thread scaremongering about police corruption etc, as unless you are smuggling drugs, you have nothing to worry about. In fact a lot of the tourist areas have Tourist Police, so its their job to look after you!

I am not sure where you are from, but I live in the UK and feel far safer in Thailand. I dont live in a bad area, but wouldnt walk to the shops late at night. In Thailand I have walked the back streets of bangkok at 1am and not had any bother.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

My main worru is that the riots happened less than a year ago and people were shot, grenades were used and bombs were set of. I've been looking up travel advice and areas of the country (mainly near the Cambodian border) are considered no go zones, ie 'Dont travel under any circumstances'.

They still have police patroling Bankok which makes me feel like it is indeed not very politacaly stable and last time during the riots I remember watching the news and UK tourists were terrorfied and stranded (im from UK too btw) and im just worried about them getting caught up in something ismilar, even if its not likely. The soldiers also have the power to search whoever and detain people for a while without needing any proof, just on suspicion.

all this worries me and I am going to be trying to convince them to go elsewhere. She really wants to go to Thailand so i've offered to go with her another time with or without friends. Im unconfortable at the moment with army on the streets and the chance of a repeat of the rioting because it wasnt long ago and it was very out of hand.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I've been to Thailand a few times. It is a pretty safe place to visit. I've been through Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket. All three were just fine, although I wasn't a big fan of Bangkok.

Anyway, the biggest threat is most likely the possibility of another Tsunami. It is a risk if you stay near the coastline.

The only other real threat is STD's. So use a condom. They don't call Pattaya the Adult Disneyland for nothing.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

If you are into DATING them...!!!
(kidding)

Your girlfriend will have absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact its you who is more likely to be pestered by Thai girls!

Or ladyboys....

*shudders*....

Funny that the Aussie advisory mentions the harsh penalties for gambling and drugs, when supposedly, both are easy to be had there. Haven't been myself, but certainly know plenty of guys who've been there before, and I've heard all the stories.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Thailand is beautiful and the people very friendly. Asians are always fascinated by blonde hair because you only see black hair all the time. Do not go to Southern Thailand as there is a Muslim separatist movement in the southern most 3 provinces. Do not be too adventurous with the food, go with the crowd. With foreign exchange in your favour, you can really live it up in Thailand. You'd want to come back for more I assure you. You will see a lot of caucasians in Phuket sun bathing and they only sell liquor after 5 pm. Important advise is not to help anyone carry anything at airport as it may contain drugs and you will be in a lot of problem. I live in a country just next to Thailand and here you get the mandatory death sentence if you are caught with drugs. A lot of drugs mules were caught recently. These girls were promised a holiday overseas and ask to carry things back on the way home. Do not be too friendly or helpful at airport.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
My spouse and i existed within Thailand pertaining to 3 months, I got betrothed there and feel returning to college together with my wife within The fall of for the trip. The particular Thai everyone is one of many sweetest folks you can at any time satisfy. Believe in myself I realize, I have travelled all over the world, consequently should be aware.

Your current partner should have hardly any problems at all. In fact it is anyone that is more likely to become pestered by means of Thai young ladies! Doesnt matter exactly what section of Thailand anyone visit you can be produced quite encouraged and will also be respected.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Thailand is one of the most beautiful countries on Earth.
Your GF will be fine, she's with friends and the people there are some of the most friendly, welcoming and lovely I've ever met.

Don't worry.... I know it's natural to worry but your GF would be less safe in the UK than in Thailand.

Seriously.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join