It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran arrests 30 people suspected of spying for US ‎

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Hijaqd

Interesting....

Well The road to war is paved with lies.... So let the games and propaganda begin.

Is there anyone who hasn't been blamed and linked with 9/11?

No, it's the gift that keeps on giving as far as they're concerned.

If there is a country that hasn't been linked, and we need to take action against them, do not worry, un-named sources will provide the necessary documentation.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sHuRuLuNi
Hang 'em.

Thanks for the wisdom..... who are we hanging anyway?

:shk:

The spies. Who else?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

Originally posted by sHuRuLuNi
Hang 'em.

The spies. Who else?

I have a few names for ya, but I don't want the alphabet boys knocking on my door so I'll just keep them to myself........

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Neither do I lol. As an ex recon I know some about Iran but again, like you put it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
One has to think, that if these are real spies they are not very good. I mean they got busted.....Just saying.....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
iran has had a image problem with jailing and disappearing dissidents and other undesirables.

But to keep down on the outcry over this Iran just calls them spys and blames the CIA.

They hang gays in iran. And the human rights groups make it hell for iran.
news.bbc.co.uk...

But if iran were to arrest gays, and try them, then hang them as CIA spies not much would be said.

Its very unlikely that iran would be able to catch 30 CIA spies at one time.
Trade-craft for the CIA would never allow that many to work as a group and together.

Two might work together seldom three.
any more and there would be cutouts to prevent such number of a network from being rolled up as a group.

Plus if 30 spies know each other its one information source.
If 30 spies do not know each other and can not exchange information between themselves you have 30 independent sources.

You also have active spies and passive spies.
A passive spy may just gather information from gossip, newspapers, and bars around a military base.

The Russians ran a number of passive spies in the US during the cold war.
but under US law there was little the US could do but watch in case they became active spies and started to get classified information from on the bases.

Sometimes Russian passive spies were useful to the US as a way to plant disinformation for the Russians to 'find'.

If you are getting the same information from multiple sources that don't know each other and its all the same it has a higher value.

I for one do not believe they caught 30 CIA spies.

I worked for the navy for a few years as a federal security officer. and watching for foreign agents was part of the job.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

:shk:

well, exactly :-)

people seem to be in a hanging mood - and they don't care much who it is anymore

30 spies...boy howdy - that's a mess of spies - ain't it?

I think this is the more interesting story - and the timing is very interesting

Spy flap weakens Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Surveillance of the president's closest aide sets off events that humiliate Ahmadinejad after the nation's supreme leader reverses the president's decision to fire the minister of intelligence.

Electronic surveillance of officials at the highest levels of political power lies at the heart of a rift between Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, a source close to Tehran's conservative leadership told The Times.

Intense mistrust of Ahmadinejad's closest aide, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, put him in the sights of the nation's spy services, the source said, triggering a sequence of events that has humiliated and weakened Ahmadinejad after Khamenei reversed a presidential decision to fire the nation's intelligence minister, Heydar Moslehi.

Ahmadinejad, whose disputed 2009 reelection prompted massive street protests, has struggled hard to gain more control over the country's national security branches, purging the Intelligence Ministry of those he mistrusted in the first weeks after the election unrest and replacing the foreign minister late last year.
www.latimes.com...

The announcement on the alleged spy ring gave no further details and appear to be part of Iran’s frequent claims of Western and Israeli interference. But the Intelligence Ministry also is at the heart of a messy political showdown and could seek to boost its credentials as a front-line defender of the country.

Last month, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad forced out the intelligence minister as part of government infighting, but the minister was immediately reinstated by Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. It touched off a high-level battle that included Ahmadinejad boycotting Cabinet sessions and Khamenei’s loyalists warning Ahmadinejad he was on dangerous ground by challenging the ruling system.

Hard-liners have since launched pinpoint strikes aimed at weakening Ahmadinejad and his allies before next year’s parliamentary elections and the vote for his successor in 2013. The latest apparent blow was reported yesterday after a court ordered a four-year political ban on one of his vice presidents.

The alleged spy ring could add another level of political intrigue.
www.boston.com...

that's some pretty fancy sleuthing considering all the infighting and chaos

and, just to help set the scene:

Ahmadinejad Allies Charged With Sorcery

Ahmadinejad: Europe Stealing Our Rain

Arrests show Ahmadinejad under increasing pressure from Iran’s clerics

:-)

edit on 5/22/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Yep, it seems Ahmadinejad is desperate and is kind of clinging on, not only ruffling feathers over in the west but also closer to home.
It will be interesting to see not only what we do about him but also what Iran themselves do about him.

Is he becoming a liability?

Is he hell bent on war?

It will be interesting to see....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

According to the semi-official Fars news agency, the suspects passed information to US officials at embassies and consulates in countries including Malaysia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

It said Iranian counter-intelligence officers identified 42 CIA agents in such countries, saying: "They engage in collection of information regarding Iran's nuclear, aerospace defence and bio-technology fields," among other areas of interest.

Spying in Iran can carry the death penalty.

Washington has had no diplomatic presence in Iran since the 1979 revolution that installed the Islamist regime. Diplomatic cables published by WikiLeaks showed the United States operated information-gathering desks in neighbouring countries where diplomats would seek to get information from travelling Iranians.

The announcement of the arrests comes two days after President Barack Obama made a speech on the Middle East, reiterating Washington's view that Tehran sponsors terrorism and is seeking nuclear weapons.

www.channel4.com...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So some of these alleged "Spies" are government officials....

One official had worked at one of Iran's ministries for 25 years and was allegedly gathering information for U.S. intelligence with the aim of immigrating to the West and keeping his son out of military service, the source told Fars.

latimesblogs.latimes.com... d

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

This isn't good for either of them; the more they rely on secrecy and intimidation the more they guarantee that we will be at long term war or on the verge of war and the less likely we'll be able to solve any of the more important problems. Not that this isn't important but the tactics they're using are the only things that make it so threatening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join