It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Galactic Spaceliner Launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50747711cb58.jpg[/atsimg]

Early on Wednesday 4th May 2011, in the skies above Mojave Air and Spaceport CA, SpaceShipTwo, the world’s first commercial spaceship, demonstrated its unique reentry ‘feather’ configuration for the first time. This test flight, the third in less than two weeks, marks another major milestone on the path to powered test flights and commercial operations.

I wonder if any UFO sightings were reported around this time. I am surprised for the lack of media coverage this is getting.
Virgin Galactic Link

Sir Richard Branson unveils Virgin Galactic rocket plane the SpaceShip Two to the world in Mojave, California, at the VIP unveiling included California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson who both christened the spaceliner Virgin SpaceShip (VSS) Enterprise. After five years in top secret construction, this will be his first commercial spacecraft, with a long list of people already paid up to go on it when testing is completed in the next 18 months.
The craft created by Burt Rutan a famed aviation designer is built form lightweight carbon composite materials and is powered by a hybrid rocket motor. The SpaceShip Two will be carried up to 50,000 by the White Knight and then will travel 65 miles by its own rockets above the Earth’s surface. The flight will last approximately two hours and passengers will also experience six minutes of weightlessness during this time. The SpaceShip Two is able to hold six passengers and two crew, already 300 people have reportedly signed up at a cost of about £121,000.

Link to story
Well, I am not ready to go for this right now but hopefully soon this will be the new reality for most of us!
edit on 5/13/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Can't wait to go for the thrill-ride one day. I believe Virgin Galactic also has plans in the works to send humans to Mars and the Moon. Virgin is already succeeding where NASA has failed for so long.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is great news imo. I'm glad there are more companies out there competing with Nasa.
Offcourse it might take a while till everyone can afford a trip to space and watching the filthy elite up there is kinda of unfair.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I hear seats are going for $200,000! I remember a few years ago you had to pay 15-20 million to get a seat on a russian space ship.

I hope this really "takes off" and they grow a whole fleet of these planes!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is so awesome!

Just think all those millionaire celebs cruising in space, we're sure to get some good accounts on what's really going on out there!

Seriously though, the more people in space the better IMO. Especially if they're not government employees.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Anyone notice that to buy a spot on these flights it must be paid in Euros?

Maybe im wrong.......

ETA: Looking for the link in which it said only Euros accepted.
edit on 13-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I realy admire Sir Richard Branson for his will to explore and that he uses his money for something usefull

Even more I love his new submarine ...build to dive deeper than anything humans have ever build before

www.dailytech.com...

A true pioneer - hope he won´t get lost on some of his trips

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
This a dream come true, the day when anyone can hop on a spaceship as easily as boarding a jetliner. Awsome.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just some thoughts.

First, I hope that they keep in mind that bulkhead doors are for safety of everyone on board. I can see some idiot covering the grove track with mahogany or some other tough wood that would prevent a seal in an emergency just so rich customers would not have to look at that grove around the doors.

Second, space is not a friendly place that is conducive to maintaining life as we know it. Will the passengers have any emergency training? Will the passengers have normal suits to maintain a living environment in an emergency? Stewardess "In case of emergency you have a few seconds to put on your normal suit before your body fluids boil and your eyes pop out."

if they overshoot orbital threshold and make low earth orbit what are options for rescue? NASA has killed the shuttle program. The Department of Defenses little automated shuttle probably would not work.

If they exceed low earth orbit are they our first manned mission to leave the solar system?

Finally, when has it been a good idea to beta test anything?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
They should build a real cruise liner in space.
Then offer trips to go around the moon once.
While a little frivolous to you and I, it would give
millionaires and billionaires a first hand look at
investing in space travel without NASA hanging
around impeding progress.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Very awesome! Although about as 'Galactic' as the walk from the living room to the kitchen is cross-country.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
its only the beginning
, i think its fine sending the rich first, if it goes wrong in the first 5 years of commercial flights better them then us.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

This would make a great job, to pilot one of these into space and back for income.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I like the whole idea of testing it one the rich. That way when it gets cheap enough for the rest of us they will have all the bugs worked out.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ancientmustytext
This is so awesome!

Just think all those millionaire celebs cruising in space, we're sure to get some good accounts on what's really going on out there!

Seriously though, the more people in space the better IMO. Especially if they're not government employees.

A few years ago I made a thread on this subject and it totally got slept on.

HERE
edit on 15-5-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
Finally, when has it been a good idea to beta test anything?

Umm, beta testing things is a fantastic idea. Testing is extremely important because it lets you work out bugs. Beta testing just means testing a product before putting it into release. This lets you catch and fix bugs before releasing to the client/consumer/public. In an industry like private spaceflight, testing is EXTREMELY important because any bug can result in catastrophic disaster.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Right, I remember it coming up but due to a lack of coverage even here as far as I know I missed this. It is exciting and I wonder if it would be wise to invest in shares of the company? I know a few years ago it was possible at a very decent price now I am not so sure?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Here's the video of the feather flight test. Very cool, very cool indeed.

top topics

join