It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Issues in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I figured this is the best section to put this, as Police brutality is a social issue in my opinion. If any mod feels it better fits somewhere else, be my guest to move it!

I have done my fare share of cop bashing here on ATS, which I do not apologize for. But I would please ask this to NOT become a thread like that. I wish this to be a discussion of a different sort.

I'm sure everybody is aware of the huge number of Police brutality incidents that have happened lately, and also aware of the general trend among police to either trick us into surrendering our rights, or violating them outright.

The argument is always that not all Police officers are bad, and judging all of them by the actions of a few isn't right. While I would definitely agree that there are good police officers out there, in my opinion the problem is MUCH larger than just a few bad apples in the bunch.

Having known several Police officers, I can tell you first hand that there is an unspoken code among them to support their fellow officers, even if they are in the wrong. Destroying evidence, lying, and intimidating witnesses are the common tactics to cover for their Police buddies.

The actual good Police officers out there are in a tough spot. If they go along with these criminal actions, in my opinion they are equally as guilty as those that commit them in the first place. If they speak out against their brothers, they are ostracized and find themselves victims as well.

When you combine this with the officers that have no respect for the law, a citizens rights, or justice, it creates a very very disturbing trend. A trend of continuing abuse of citizens, with oftentimes no repercussions other than a paid vacation.

I'm sure most people have heard of the "Fraternal Oder of Police" www.fop.net There are also several other police organizations throughout the country, but as far as I know they are the largest, with roughly 300,000 members.

My question is, when there is an incident where an officer kills someone without cause, violates someone's right, or otherwise abuses citizens WHY do organizations like this NOT come out and condemn these actions?

The FOP should want to distance itself from these types of acts, but it seems they in fact encourage them by providing legal help for the ones that commit such heinous crimes against citizens. They are often times vocal about incidents where Police officers are harmed, but as an organization made up of members who have sworn an oath to protect and serve they don't seem to care the slightest bit about that oath.

The only way that police officers as a whole can regain my respect, and the respect of many other people of this country is to speak out and denounce other officers that abuse citizens unjustly. Yet I do not see this happening, the opposite always seems to be true. If the Police as a whole are good people they should band together and attempt to weed out the rotten among their ranks. Organizations such as the FOP that represent them should make themselves vocal in support of the rights of citizens, and cast out members who spit on the very oath they are supposed to uphold.

As I said before, I don't want this to become a cop bashing thread, I would like to hear people's opinions on the issue of officers supporting fellow officers that have done wrong, instead of distancing themselves from those actions.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
we just had phoenix cop convicted of murder here within the last couple months his own partner turned him in
also had a police officer shot and killed on duty by other police [ they think] but no ones talking now
also had a man in city jail who killed himself but was killed by the guards and listed as suicide
so there good mixed with bad

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by john1287
we just had phoenix cop convicted of murder here within the last couple months his own partner turned him in
also had a police officer shot and killed on duty by other police [ they think] but no ones talking now
also had a man in city jail who killed himself but was killed by the guards and listed as suicide

I would agree. I'm just concerned that there isn't an "official" outcry from the police departments and organizations whenever these things happen. I'm sure it's happened a few times, but after a long time searching google I can't find any "Police department condemns officer's actions" articles. I could be a bad googler though.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by john1287

I would agree. I'm just concerned that there isn't an "official" outcry from the police departments and organizations whenever these things happen. I'm sure it's happened a few times, but after a long time searching google I can't find any "Police department condemns officer's actions" articles. I could be a bad googler though.
there is no outcry for fear that they will target you

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Every day on here I see police brutality threads. Some random cop from Tinbuctoo yells at a lady in Alabama and it's on ATS. You know what I don't see? A thread every time a perp kills a cop, physically assaults a cop, yells and goes nuts at a cop, shoots at a cop, tries to run a cop over, etc.

ATS is blatantly one-sided on this issue and it makes them look like ignorant cop haters.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by john1287

the cop who was shot and killed here in phoenix was a bad one they think he was going to rat out others to get himself out of trouble
but yet no charges were ever filed against him and yet his family will not get any widows benefits from the police even though he was shot and killed on duty and the killer is still running free
edit on 13-5-2011 by john1287 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

we just had a man hi on drugs pull a gun on a police officer and the police officer did what i would do he shot and killed him good job officer
i praise the police all the time it is a very rough job and i am very glad we have them
there is good and bad in every job out there police officers is a very stressful job i thank god for them everyday

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Every day on here I see police brutality threads. Some random cop from Tinbuctoo yells at a lady in Alabama and it's on ATS. You know what I don't see? A thread every time a perp kills a cop, physically assaults a cop, yells and goes nuts at a cop, shoots at a cop, tries to run a cop over, etc.

ATS is blatantly one-sided on this issue and it makes them look like ignorant cop haters.
did not mean for it to be one sided i am very sorry it looks that way i do love our police here and always will they saved my but 4 times in 10 years and no matter what they will always have my respect and love

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Being a cop, you have to walk a thin line. There is a target on your back. The majority think you are crooked and will find anything to file a complaint. When I was in law enforcement, the department had a few dirty cops. Running around with high school girls, sleeping with married women. Just recently, a girl I went through police academy with was arrested and charged with 15 felony counts of using her official compacity for personal gain. I was shocked cause I always knew her as a fine upstanding cop. Like the post above though, there are never any threads on cops that are killed in the line of duty. My neighbor is a cop and on a stop 8 months ago, a 17 year old punk kid decided to put his hands on her. Shes had 2 surgeries and her leg is still in a cast. The point is that everyone hates cops but they are the first to respond if you are in danger.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

When a police officer joins the force he knows that things like this are a possibility. While tragic for the families, it's not unexpected, and when it does happen there is usually HUGE media support for the Police and family members. The perp is called scum, and if survives is thrown in jail for life. That same attitude should be used when cops do the same sort of thing, but it isn't.

Your average American didn't "sign up" to be abused by the police. Having a few grams of weed isn't "signing up" for getting shot in the head while flushing it down the toilet. When an old asian man is making music in the park he didn't "sign up" for getting mob attacked by a bunch of cops. When a drunk high school girl showing no aggression simply WALKS away she isn't "signing up" to get body slammed by a 300 pound cop so hard her head hits the wall and she gets knocked out.

If you break the law, you have to expect to pay the price for it. But the "price" is not up to the police, it's up to the jury and the judge at their court date. If you are not doing anything violent, you don't deserve violence against you.

In addition, when these things happens, the media doesn't make a huge deal about it. If they even present it at all, it's a back page article that usually ends with "don't mess with the cops!"

Cops that do such things should be treated JUST like regular criminals. Not given a paid vacation and defended by their cop buddies.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
Being a cop, you have to walk a thin line. There is a target on your back. The majority think you are crooked and will find anything to file a complaint. When I was in law enforcement, the department had a few dirty cops. Running around with high school girls, sleeping with married women. Just recently, a girl I went through police academy with was arrested and charged with 15 felony counts of using her official compacity for personal gain. I was shocked cause I always knew her as a fine upstanding cop. Like the post above though, there are never any threads on cops that are killed in the line of duty. My neighbor is a cop and on a stop 8 months ago, a 17 year old punk kid decided to put his hands on her. Shes had 2 surgeries and her leg is still in a cast. The point is that everyone hates cops but they are the first to respond if you are in danger.
i know what your saying but i don't hate them even when i got arrested years ago i didnot hate them i thank god every day for them it is a underpaid thankless job but hate them i never will and you can put a gun to my head and i wont change my mind
edit on 13-5-2011 by john1287 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Fist as a U.S citizen you have no rights, only presumed rights more on that can be found here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Second ever hear the expression sht rolls down hill, well this is truth especially in law enforcement. The pressure comes down from the top to increase revenue; these created tensions play out in the field, with threats of time off without pay for those whom do not meet or beat quota.

Third they do up hold their oath to defend the Constitution; the problem is most people do not realize the Constitution that is upheld is the one created with the 14th amendment, and not the organic constitution that so many are known to quote from, it is a deception again learn more from the link above.

Remember politics is part of your local law enforcement and the reason I got out, even family members after years of service has left the force for this reason. Our hands are tied, many do not want to act the way they do, and especially when you see them in riot gear to break up what other wise would be a peaceful assembly. During these times people often spout off such things like, we have the RIGHT to assemble, well that is an organic right, and there for does not apply to you. Thanks to the 14th amendment we have presumed rights, remember if it requires a permit ie permission it is not an organic right.

The laws are designed to protect the criminals, and create even more frustration at street level. Also remember it has been upheld in court that police are allowed to lie, ie entrap the individual into submission to such things like warrantless searches this is most prevalent in motor vehicle stops.

If the officer suspects something he will use such tactics like treating to bring out the dogs in order to scare the individual to submit to a vehicle search, this is a game so learn the rules. There is many videos on youtube that depict the proper way to act at a traffic stop I suggest you look some of them up.

The best way to protect yourself is to simply follow the law, however even with that a time might come when you might be confronted by the man, and in this case kill them with kindness, and if possible video tape the event this helps you to keep them honest. Remember they are taught to act forceful this helps to keep them safe and to intimidate the average person, with every stop the officer is putting his/her life on the line, we have been breed to respect authority this in it’s self isn’t a bad thing, however some have used their position to act more like the bully then the servant.

Education is the key, and not the education you received in a government run school, but an education of truth in law, the above link will help you on this journey to legally recognized freedom.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

I'm well aware of the tricks that are used, I've saved myself countless times by knowing them.

I also accept that pressure is put on officers from above, but I'm talking less about tricking people into consenting to a search than I am officers that will arrest people for things that aren't crimes, harass, intimidate, beat, and murder citizens.

Such as the incident where the 17 year old kid walks by an officer while videotaping him. The officer asks what he is doing, and he says he is making a video about warantless searches, or something along those lines. IMMEDIATELY the officer arrests him. He was NOT charged with any crime. This is unacceptable. Abuses of power such as this should mean your job. I'd much rather have one less cop, than one more that uses his power to illegally detain people.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

What really gets me is people on here that have had no real contact with law enforcement base their opinion on what they read. They've never had their rights violated or suffered police brutality. I curse and get pissed if I get a ticket and will even fight it in court. But when I get my ticket or pay my fine (or beat the ticket), I shake the officer's hand and tell him to be careful out there. cause I know when he left for work this mornigh, told his wife and kids that he loves them, that it maybe the last time they see their dad or husband alive.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

edit on 14-5-2011 by aero56 because: new thread

new topics

top topics

join