It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Extraordinary evidence is required to shift the consensus hegemony of the dominant paradigms of whatever elite is empowered by them in every and any field of human endeavour.

For an individual however - particularly in the area of conspiracies, disinfo, secret agendas ect the most minor seeming details can become extremely compelling.

Even for the hard sciences all it takes to disprove a long held and cherished theory - is a single contrary observation!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yet most fail to present even the most minute detail.

The old adage of "proof or it didn't happen" holds true... all the rest is opinion.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
COINTELPRO. Learn to recognize the techniques they use.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

Well, it comes down to theory/fact. Most of what is said on this site is theory, and therefore doesnt need to be proven fact, by definition. Most of what is on here is up for discussion, and not presented as irrefutable.

I do agree that people need to back up claims with SOMETHING, but just the same, those that would come and tell one that they are flat out wrong should be expected to back that up as well, as telling someone they are wrong is claiming something as fact, and not theory.

Plus, take the theory off this site, and there is no site. Period. Just sayin....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Well, it comes down to theory/fact. Most of what is said on this site is theory, and therefore doesnt need to be proven fact, by definition. Most of what is on here is up for discussion, and not presented as irrefutable.

I do agree that people need to back up claims with SOMETHING, but just the same, those that would come and tell one that they are flat out wrong should be expected to back that up as well, as telling someone they are wrong is claiming something as fact, and not theory.

Plus, take the theory off this site, and there is no site. Period. Just sayin....

More often than not the "theory" is just fantasy/hope/belief.

Theories tend to have supporting claims, whenever you try to get supporting
claims from religious zealots, Galactic Federation Lightworkers, or any of the
assorted fantasy driven types they either clam up, resort to nonsense
technobabble or try the stock internet tactics such as the questioner being
an agent of the gubmint, etc...

Personally, I believe in lots of weird stuff but I only talk about it when I am
reasonably sure of the evidence as opposed to what I want to believe or
conveniently fits my fantasies.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

More often than not the "theory" is just fantasy/hope/belief.

Theories tend to have supporting claims, whenever you try to get supporting
claims from religious zealots, Galactic Federation Lightworkers, or any of the
assorted fantasy driven types they either clam up, resort to nonsense
technobabble or try the stock internet tactics such as the questioner being
an agent of the gubmint, etc...

Personally, I believe in lots of weird stuff but I only talk about it when I am
reasonably sure of the evidence as opposed to what I want to believe or
conveniently fits my fantasies.

A theory certainly can be a hope or belief. The thing is though, maybe they are putting this ting that they believe out there to be disproved. Maybe just trying to stir up a discussion. Maybe they see the world differently than you.

There are some subjects that definitely go much further than others, such as the ones you have mentioned, but to discourage all theory that doesnt have backing is to do a disservice to this site.

I have to wonder what is really worse for the site....someone having a theory that they cant back up, or the obligatory weekly rant about such threads...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It isn't a matter of theory... theory if fine.

It is the resident buffoons who make claims that what they say is factual - not theory. Then, when you ask them for proof, they try to tell you how you have to provide proof that they are wrong.

I am at the point that I am close to starting to name names and provide links to the worst offenders.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The 'I saw santa clause' thread was a major face palm moment for me. Like the OP I've been lurking for a while in fact the only reason I joined up is cause ATS has come down to my league.

Like the MSM, ATS now has it's own accepted narratives. Which means we must accept that whatever it is, was and will be. It is currently operating as enter/info-tainment and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some of the stories are amusing and the odd few are even informative. All in all I wouldn't change ATS a smidge but hopefully some new research masters will pop up and give us something to really ponder.

Actually I would probably cut out all the "I'm not racist but..." types. But whatya gonna do?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join