It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to get Mom on Mothers Day?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Every year and every holiday I go through the horrible task of trying to figure out what to give as a gift.

I try to give gifts with some type of meaning behind them, not the commercial typical BS you see floating around the million stores across the country.
Well, tomorrow is Mothers Day and most of us (lol) have mothers. I am completely blank, as usual, as to what to give/do to/for her for putting up with me all these years.
Any suggestions?
What are you going to do for your mom?

Please don't say flowers, candy, cards, dinner, jewelry or any of the boring mainstream stuff anyone could buy or give (unless you have some brilliant idea behind it).
I really want to find something special this year.

edit on 5/7/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
How about a letter, written from the heart, telling her how much you appreciate her and what she's done for you over your life time?

I'm a mother and appreciation/acknowledgement is probably the best gift either my son or my daughter could give me! It's free too!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Last year I took some time and gathered old family photos, then made a slide show accompanied by some of my guitar playing. Kind of like people do for the deceased, but I figured, hey, why wait til someone is gone to celebrate their life and importance to us.
My mom so enjoyed it, she was unable to speak for a moment.
Love ya mothers out there!

Peace,
spec

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Im a mom, and I want a new ps3 game, lol, what does your mom like? Start there

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Very spiritual, into everything from crystals to Taroh cards but she has all this stuff.
She is a level 4 Reiki healer and hairdresser/cosmologist, but again she knows more then I do about these areas.
Native Italian born.
Mid 60's.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I recommend nothing more than a letter written from the heart as posted above.

Don't buy into that materialistic BS.

Good Day.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Hmmm.. No clue. The letter idea sounds nice, maby a nice meal at home also? clean the house for her? The little things mean the most.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm starting to agree the letter is something I haven't done yet!

What are some of you going to do for your moms?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Every year and every holiday I go through the horrible task of trying to figure out what to give as a gift.

I try to give gifts with some type of meaning behind them, not the commercial typical BS you see floating around the million stores across the country.
Well, tomorrow is Mothers Day and most of us (lol) have mothers. I am completely blank, as usual, as to what to give/do to/for her for putting up with me all these years.
Any suggestions?
What are you going to do for your mom?

Please don't say flowers, candy, cards, dinner, jewelry or any of the boring mainstream stuff anyone could buy or give (unless you have some brilliant idea behind it).
I really want to find something special this year.

edit on 5/7/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

PS
I am nearly fifty, and what I have recommended, comes from years of experience, and several screw ups, so I'm just passing a little wisdom on. I assume that you know all about the 'waiting on her, hand and foot' bit, so that's why I left it out.

First and foremost, DO NOT GET something that is used in the course of housework. Get something that she has talked about, thought was neat, or would otherwise never buy for herself because she could not justify it.

Then there is always the 'poem' or card WITH a several paragraph letter written on the 'usually' blank inside left. If she does her nails, get her a 'pedicure' coupon. Those Asian gals will rub your moms feet and make her feel spoiled!

Most of all, just let her know how much you love and appreciate her, even though it (probably) looks like you don't show it enough.

edit on 7-5-2011 by oldenough because: Forgot 'PS'

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ask her for a date , she'll see the humor and then take her out for dinner to a nice Italian place . For a gift , ask her if she needs anyone whacked or maybe just some legs broken . Nothing too good for momma .

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

My father handles that department.

She is 2000 miles away, which I forgot to add.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Every year I get a booklet of job tokens.....

could be anything from washing the floor, vacuming, dusting, pegging out washing etc.

I usually pull one out when I'm tired or too busy.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I bought my Mom a Kelly Kettle to use for camping. Made in USA. Great product!

edit on 7-5-2011 by fockewulf190 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The answer is to simply state something like this.
I looked for a gift for you Mom, something that could show you how much I realize the time and love you have put into me.
Some sort of a gift that could mirror the beauty of your heart.
I looked in the mall at all of the shiny trinkets and gadgets, i read all of the cards and looked at all of the jewelry but, nothing that i saw could compare to what i want to convey to you.
So i will just say Happy Mothers Day.
One of my boys calls his Mom almost every day just to say hello and that he is thinking about her, he has only been out of the house for a little over a year now but, i can tell when it was him that called.
I see it in her glow.
That is the best thing you can do for Mommy, is to let her know that all of her years of sacrifice were for something real good, and her hard work paid off.
Let Dad get her the cheap trinkets, he's stuck with her!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
How about a letter, written from the heart, telling her how much you appreciate her and what she's done for you over your life time?

I'm a mother and appreciation/acknowledgement is probably the best gift either my son or my daughter could give me! It's free too!

I absolutely LOVE that idea onlyhuman. That would be such a wonderful gift and keepsake for many many years. The flowers die, and the candy gets eaten but that would last forever...especially if you're not that great at saying the things in person.

I personally don't have a relationship with my mother..she lives in a different country and I haven't seen or spoken to her in about 15 years. But as a mother, what I would love to get are things of a more personal nature rather than, like you said, the commercialized crapola - another mug with "world's best mom" would complete my collection, but I'll survive without it

One year I got three vouchers for 1/2 hr massages (love it!), another year flowers..but not a bouquet...some beautiful perennials to plant in my garden that still bloom every year (love it!), and another year that stands out was a scrapbooking kit as I love to scrapbook. I guess just things that I love to do but will rarely spend the money on for myself are the best gifts to me.

Michelle

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by oldenough

Snap Bang!
Dead on.
That is what my Hunney is doing right at this moment, i sent my wife to her nail place and she is having her 20 nails done.
It is fairly cheap like 35 bucks and she comes back all goo goo exclaiming how she rubbed her feet Etc.

If you are a hubby or a boyfriend i fully endorse oldenough's idea.
Big time brownie points.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thank you it was the perfect gift!

new topics

top topics

join