It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bashing of Hip-Hop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Over my years on ATS I have seen people bash Hip-Hop or say its a consipracy to our youth or us etc. I am going to share a compelation of music that if you have not listen to I think you should take a listen to. It would say different. Please take a listen at least to the first song. Even if you do not like Hip-Hop take a listen to it and the words.

Reflections Eternal - Ballad of the Black Gold

"If you oil rich then we invading. They call it occupation, but we losing jobs across the nation. Drill baby drill well they make our soldiers kill."

Immortal Technique - Bin Laden

"All they talk about is terrorist on televisio they tell you to listen, but they dont really tell you their mission."

Eminem - Mosh

"No more blood for oil we got our own battles to fight on our own soil."

Moby ft Public Enemy - Make Love F*** War

"Tell the leaders, they gotta feed us. Grand theft oil gonna bleed us. New world order doesn't need us.
Call for peace better heed us."

So this is just a short compilation of songs I have found. There no conspiracy in Hip-Hop people say what they feel. Some just do not speak out against the issues.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

I think that what is known as hip-hop today is not what it was 25 years ago. Today all hip-hop is is commercialized, sensationalized gangsta rap. There is hardly any talent involved. What happened to good, quality artists like Tribe Called Quest? De La Soul? The only modern example of pure hip-hop I can think of is "The Roots". Everyone else is just saying the same thing the other guy said about money and cars, just to a slightly different beat. Or you can do what P Diddy does and take an older song and just add "Yeah" and "bad boy" and "take that, take that" to it and call it a remix.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The bashers of hip hop may have had a point ten years ago but the genre has grown up since the days of Masta P and DMX. Artists and musicians use hip hop like any other musical canvas-as a way to spread ideas and express themselves...its not just about guns and money anymore

I saw these guys here in Denver the other day. They were amazing.

Resident Anti Hero

And lets not forget Beastl33t's amazing song posted a while back

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hip hop heads unite!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by ExCloud

I think that what is known as hip-hop today is not what it was 25 years ago. Today all hip-hop is is commercialized, sensationalized gangsta rap. There is hardly any talent involved. What happened to good, quality artists like Tribe Called Quest? De La Soul? The only modern example of pure hip-hop I can think of is "The Roots". Everyone else is just saying the same thing the other guy said about money and cars, just to a slightly different beat. Or you can do what P Diddy does and take an older song and just add "Yeah" and "bad boy" and "take that, take that" to it and call it a remix.

Good stuff is out there. But just like any music nowadays, its not on the radio. Most mcs wouldnt be caught dead with P Diddy blasting out their speakers.

A lot of current artists were inspired by Tribe and De La. The good ones are out there. You just gotta dig for em.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i coudln't agree more, S & F! Rap is not what people think it is, all about women, moeny, guns, drugs and being ''gansta''. But its far deeper than that. Those 4 videos are just scratching the surface, there are many good hip hop song all about the struggle of the poor, the state of the world and the corruption of the worlds leaders. 99% of people only listen to the chorus of rap songs anyways and its usually only the ones that get regular air time on tv. They forget that serious rappers, even Eminem, who in my opinion is the best rapper to have lived, just above 2pac, do put out songs for the fans, like one that would get the air play and make them the money but they don't realise that behind this, they put out songs with great meaning behind them. Best example i can think of is 2pac - changes. He wanted to change they way we treated each other regardless of colour, and had so many fans he may have made a difference. Yet what happed? He got shot. Everyone who speaks about change, peace or love either gets killed or made out to be crazy. And rap in general gets a bad rep from the MSM for bringing out youngsters into wana be gansters. If Immortal Technique was more famous and had more air time to play his songs so everyone could listen to the lyrics, we might have a revolution on our hands and thats what TPTB are afraid of

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
i coudln't agree more, S & F! Rap is not what people think it is, all about women, moeny, guns, drugs and being ''gansta''. But its far deeper than that. Those 4 videos are just scratching the surface, there are many good hip hop song all about the struggle of the poor, the state of the world and the corruption of the worlds leaders. 99% of people only listen to the chorus of rap songs anyways and its usually only the ones that get regular air time on tv. They forget that serious rappers, even Eminem, who in my opinion is the best rapper to have lived, just above 2pac, do put out songs for the fans, like one that would get the air play and make them the money but they don't realise that behind this, they put out songs with great meaning behind them. Best example i can think of is 2pac - changes. He wanted to change they way we treated each other regardless of colour, and had so many fans he may have made a difference. Yet what happed? He got shot. Everyone who speaks about change, peace or love either gets killed or made out to be crazy. And rap in general gets a bad rep from the MSM for bringing out youngsters into wana be gansters. If Immortal Technique was more famous and had more air time to play his songs so everyone could listen to the lyrics, we might have a revolution on our hands and thats what TPTB are afraid of

and its funny to think how much rap changed after Tupac died. Its like TPTB got scared and all they fed us was the "American Dream-hop". Every guy rapped about how he grew up on the streets and now he's got diamonds and shiny cars. Instead of freeing people from the evil empire, record companies decided to shove the false hope the American Dream down our throats.

Speaking of evil empire, no list of anti authoritarian hip hop is complete with out Rage Against the Machine

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

exactly, i think 2pac could have made a real change and TPTB put an end to it before it got to far. Just my theory on the subject, might be wrong however, but it just stinks, the whole story and how the fact he could touch so many people with his words

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
reply to post by doctornamtab

exactly, i think 2pac could have made a real change and TPTB put an end to it before it got to far. Just my theory on the subject, might be wrong however, but it just stinks, the whole story and how the fact he could touch so many people with his words

I doubt TPTB understand half of what eminem says in his lyrics as he uses metaphores a lot as what he means come off multiple ways. Also I believe in my own mind 2pac and BIG were most likely killed by the same person to make it look like gang violence or "East vs West" at the time. Be it Suge Knight who had them both offed or someone else.

Facts are facts though. Not everyone in Hip-Hop is trying to dumb down the people. In fact a lot of hiphop is trying to enlighten the people. I can say some people probably are trying to do this to people or spread the wrong message, but its there choice on that message and what they believe.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Bashing any and I mean ANY genre is a pretty clear indication that the person is into top 40 only garbage. People that say I don't like this or that genre or the ubiquitous "music these days" know pitifully little about music. That or you will find out that they do like certain acts and have just fallen in to the narrative provided by the same people selling the music.

These days musicians have both a fanbase and a hatebase and both are equally important in getting recognition. How many albums have (insert any pop act here) sold because someone was foaming at the mouth over how bad/offensive (insert any pop act here) was.

Plain and simple if I don't like an act I blank their existence.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

top topics

join