It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moratorium on posts with new UFO sightings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Just thought I'd ask if the mods have ever considered clamping down on the number of hoax videos that are being posted? It seems that every single thread that claims to have a new sighting is nothing more than CGI or wishful thinking.

Before you tell me to stop going to that respective forum, keep in mind that there are people out there with the sole aim of making these hoax videos to annoy and piss off folks by duping them into thinking that they're real.

I'm personally fed up with it. I used to come to that particular forum and check out the videos. I won't even bother now that there's a crapload of hoaxes being posted.

Any other thoughts?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Yeah. Let's just close this site, close the Internet, gouge out our eyes and close our minds. Why should we bother? I'm sick of people in general. Let's just all jump off a cliff.

Or you could read other stuff and broaden your mind while others explore what are new horizons for them. Let people think and dream and discover. The world doesn't begin nor end with you.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

It ticks me off to no end....but I have to say that I cant NOT watch them, or look at a thread that brings something new, cgi or not, to the table. I always ask myself "what if.". Because Ill guarantee you there are legit UFO photos and videos debated on here that get dismissed as hoaxes. i just try to find them in the haystack of garbage.

Works for me.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Yeah. Let's just close this site, close the Internet, gouge out our eyes and close our minds. Why should we bother? I'm sick of people in general. Let's just all jump off a cliff.

Or you could read other stuff and broaden your mind while others explore what are new horizons for them. Let people think and dream and discover. The world doesn't begin nor end with you.

Perfectly stated......id star ya if I could. Made me laugh hahaha

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Yeah, let's allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to post their homemade CGI sightings or videos of chinese lanterns. Let's allow them to continue to fool people for fun.

Before you know it, this place will look more like GLP.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Why don't you take your dreams of control and suppression of truth somewhere else.

And alot of those hoaxes ARE THE REAL DEAL!

People are not very bright when it comes to analyzing anything.

Its already draconian control here.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

More like my dreams of intelligent debate and common sense.

How do we know those videos are the real deal?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Alert. Alert. Alert. I and other staff try our best to keep up with the amount of new postings in A&U. But we cant be everywhere at all times and some of us (maybe not all of us) have a life outside of ATS.

So, again. Alert. Alert. Alert.

And when you alert a thread that you believe is a HOAX. Tell us why. Details are always best.
While you wait for an alert to be dealt with by staff....

The best thing you can do is to respond on the thread with detailed reason why you believe it is a HOAX.
Dont just scream "Hoax" and run away. Tell everyone WHY it is a hoax.

Be a part of the solution

edit on May 3rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

The question is this: Who are you to decide? Prove what you know to be otherwise. Prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you cannot, keep your whinging to yourself and let others speculate to their heart's content.

Ask yourself this too> why does it bother you so much that others learn what's what? You were new here once too...not so very long ago either.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Alert. Alert. Alert. I and other staff try our best to keep up with the amount of new postings in A&U. But we cant be everywhere at all times and some of us (maybe not all of us) have a life outside of ATS.

So, again. Alert. Alert. Alert.

And when you alert a thread that you believe is a HOAX. Tell us why. Details are always best.
While you wait for an alert to be dealt with by staff....

The best thing you can do is to respond on the thread with detailed reason why you believe it is a HOAX.
Dont just scream "Hoax" and run away. Tell everyone WHY it is a hoax.

Be a part of the solution

edit on May 3rd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

c'mon, greeneyedleo...quit trying to be reasonable and rational
....i tend to take a look at each one, and the few seconds it takes to determine if it's a hoax, is worth the few times when an intriguing post actually does pop up, and is worthy of further research. don't let the bastards get you down.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Before you know it, this place will look more like GLP.

Dude, the Aliens and UFO forum jumped the shark YEARS ago.

Sure, they try to keep the bull# to a minimum with things like Skunkworks and Gray Area, but because the moderators and staff keep an "agnostic" approach to moderating, they literally cant do # about 'hoaxes' without taking a side in the argument. So, after years of this, a complex web of stupid has taken hold on the minds of the people that post their garbage in there.

If you shot a UFO or Alien, ATS is probably the LAST place you should post your video or picture. You would probably get a better response at 4chan.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

If you would pay attention long enough to my original post, you will see that I never said anything about deciding a single thing.

The moderator said it best. When you're done using me as a punching bag, close the thread.
edit on 3-5-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Keep in mind that all ufo vids are potential hoaxes and not are deemed 100% authentic, only plausible. If you start disqualifying on the grounds of possible fakery none will be left to watch.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I completely empathise with your postition in terms of your ire toward hoaxsters and thier works. However, you are suggesting in your thread title , a moratorium on posts with new sightings. I cannot for the life of me imagine a worse thing, than the prevalence of hoaxes, making it impossible for free sharing of information and video documenting real events. I know as well as the next guy that it is superbly rare to find a genuine, or at least, not patently false video. But I would rather suffer the assault of liars and those obsessed with spreading falsehood, than miss one golden, crucial morsel of reality.
If desire for truth, automaticaly places one in a sea of lies, then I for one would rather learn to swim, than stand on a land based on ignorance.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
And alot of those hoaxes ARE THE REAL DEAL!

You're right, they're REAL HOAXES!

To the OP.....in time, many of us go through the "OMG" phase to the "OMG, not again" phase and just get on with ignoring the spam. I suggest you do the same, or get used to being the victim of others pranks and/or ignorance and continue feeding the thing you obviously don't like.

Above all, have fun here and try to remain positive in all the dross we have to wade through.
edit on 3/5/2011 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
IMO without the hoaxes we wouldn't have the
opportunity to analyze what is real and what
isn't. We need to know what isn't real so that
when something is we can recognize it. This is
learning, discussing what is going on in the
world. As long as we have internet and GGI,
we will have hoaxes - part of internet life.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Damn, 6 out of every 7 threads you do is about complaints and such, why do you complain so much?

You have never did a thread on the ufo side,and it seems that you have never ever contributed to one either,whats up with that?
What did the ufo forum ever do to you being though you dont even post over there?

Moratorium on posts with new UFO sightings?
Board Business & Questions topic started on 3-5-2011 150crazydaisy
on 3-5-2011 Obama's shot at Trump was justified
US Political Madness topic started on 1-5-2011 7534NadaCambia
on 1-5-2011 Conspiracy regarding the cutting of social programs, etc
US Political Madness topic started on 17-4-2011 7915Wildmanimal
on 17-4-2011 Increase in one-line posts
Board Business & Questions topic started on 30-3-2011 565argentus
on 30-3-2011 My thoughts on the Middle East uprising
Middle East Issues topic started on 20-3-2011 61The Sword
on 20-3-2011 Lack of common sense/logic in posts
Board Business & Questions topic started on 17-3-2011 3410latitude39
on 17-3-2011 Avatar is not showing up on profile
Board Business & Questions topic started on 16-3-2011 41Regenmacher
on 16-3-2011 Spell Check
Board Business & Questions topic started on 28-2-2011 7712captaintyinknots
on 28-2-2011 Using "TPTB" as a cop-out
Social Issues and Civil Unrest topic started on 16-1-2011 226~Lucidity
on 16-1-2011 Social stigma conditioning and social welfare
Social Issues and Civil Unrest topic started on 24-12-2010 11547000
on 24-12-2010 It's official: Telling the truth makes you a "terrorist"
US Political Madness topic started on 20-12-2010 2618The Sword
on 20-12-2010 Why so many anti-homosexual threads?
Social Issues and Civil Unrest topic started on 19-11-2010 584Crakeur
on 19-11-2010 How do I get rid of negative points?
Board Business & Questions topic started on 11-11-2010 143Mary Rose
on 11-11-2010 Climate Denial: A look at the culprits
Fragile Earth topic started on 2-11-2010 195sdcigarpig
on 2-11-2010 Increase in prediction/SHTF threads
General Conspiracies topic started on 31-10-2010 72The Sword
on 31-10-2010 Do we need a National "Complain about President Obama" Day?
US Political Madness topic started on 18-10-2010 442JIMC5499
on 18-10-2010 Herd mentality and Stigmas
Social Issues and Civil Unrest topic started on 11-9-2010 82SirTFiedSkeptic
on 11-9-2010 9/11 means nothing to me
Rant topic started on 10-9-2010 927beijingyank
on 10-9-2010 Get Rid of U.S Political Madness forum
Rant topic started on 25-8-2010 171deadruby2006
on 26-8-2010 Could the U.S successfully invade Mexico?
Above Politics topic started on 13-8-2010 402ripcontrol
on 13-8-2010 Spell/Grammar Check?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I suppose we should just let you control which content can be posted then? Better idea. Create your own website, and sit there and debunk yourself into infinity.
edit on 4-5-2011 by thorazineshuffle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Recently I reported a thread in which the poster made a sensational claim about a link which literally and very clearly said the complete opposite of what he claimed. He said it was a live data map -- the link says it's not, and not even using real data. It explicitly warns against using the data in the exact way he used it to try to scare people. Couldn't be clearer.

I reported it three times in two different ways. It's been days. The thread is still there and I assume it will remain.

Alert alert alert? No, I won't be wasting my time anymore.

And yes, I did try to stay with the thread and correct the information, but you know how threads work. Nobody reads. If moderators are too busy to deal with it, or feel that it's okay to lie about links, so be it. I'm not going to worry about it. But I'm also certainly not going to accept the standard reply that the moderation issues here are all our fault for not being sufficiently diligent citizens.
edit on 4-5-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button likes my hair this way

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

Why don't you find something better to do other than attacking me?

Do me a favor: Take your own advice and don't click on threads if you don't like them. Everyone tells me to do that but they don't take their own advice.

new topics

top topics

join