It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

This is not looking great, please note that this will be impacting wall of mart of america but i also suspect that it will also have an effect on canadas wall mart brand.

Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

Of course the CEO never blames the finical crisis, that the fact people still dont have any jobs to work and to buy stuff, rising gasoline prices are a second factor.

Lately, they're "running out of money" at a faster clip, he said.

I have also noticed a little less shopping in a wall mart store here in Toronto before the easter weekend.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I find this quite ominous. Wal-mart is the biggest retail establishment in the US&C economies. It is a bellweather for the financial well-being of the poor and middle income brackets. The fact that they are seeing EOM drop offs is not a sign of a recovery, it is the sign of continuing decay, in my opinion..

+58 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think it's funny that they don't say that they are worried about the customer, just the fact that the customer is running out of money. Haha I lol'd

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
They're building MORE Walmarts here in Southern Alberta. Can't get enough

+29 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
good. put wal mart out of business so we don't buy chinese crap anymore

let's make some crap in north america and sell it

link   
See..they monopoloized and pushed mom n pop stores to close, bought out others so theyde fail or had no chance..thats why you should keep it local* so they cna be abit priceyer..at least the shop is going to be thier for you* not 8 miles somewhere else, like walmart.
you cannot have a business system without competition. walmart is one chain of retail stores, that has monopolized* when they close sotres, we wont have many options left to shop at, except online*

link   
double posted
edit on Thu Apr 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

link   
triple posted
edit on Thu Apr 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
link   
Welcome to the new third world. Walmart and every other conglomerate is experiencing the same thing. Get ready, we will all be living in hovels just like in the far east.

1% will live life greatly, the rest of us will be glad for rain ( with isotopes), just to clean our backsides.

We are going to hell in a hand basket. Yes, I am afraid for everyone. The middle class has been wiped clean and out.

What is our next move? It won't be pretty. S & F.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Its ok people Walmart will be fine. Hillary is helping them. You know her old pals she sat on the Walmart board with. Don't worry about Hillary either because its your tax money shes helping them with.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Walmart came in and took over my town.

Oil man says how far I can drive. $4.00 a gallon is ridiculous(Sorry to the U.K. folks)

Electric company says how hot or cold I can have it in my house.
(because of the high cost of gas and electricity, for the ones who do not understand me)

Gallon of milk is $3.00

Lj01 is not made out of money and he is sinking fast.

Down with big oil, big industry, big brother, taxes, etc.............

edit on 27-4-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Somehow I have the feeling that there is not 3 pieces of legislation being drafted to signed by the president to bailout the Walmart shoppers directly. In fact, I would think that China is now realizing that the money borrowed for the Wall Street bailouts, GM/Chrysler bailouts and banks isn't going to be realized by consumer purchases of Chinese made goods distributed via their largest distribution point of sale company.

Makes you wonder if War Bonds will be a hot ticket item for investors in the near future...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yes they are so worried that they down size products and still sell them at the inflated price. I would love for it to be for the fact Americans are supporting the smaller business owners but that isn`t the case.
We just don`t have any money thanks to our over paid heads up their butt government smucks running this country into the ground selling us out..

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Thats what a lot of the greed mongers didnt seem to realize. They are like ticks on a dog, sucking it dry. They dont realize that if you take ALL the blood, the dog dies. And then no more blood for them.

They killed the goose that laid their billion dollar eggs. And now they are going to all rush and jump on China and India thinking thats going to save them but.....................it wont. They will collapse those dogs too, and it will happen a lot faster than the collapse of the US.

Idiots.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ive been boycotting china-mart for some time now, just actually went there tonight to get a few things that are harder to find elsewhere, and would have to go to multiple places...

Anyways I noticed it was real dead in there, only about 1/4 of the parking lot was full, and this was only at about 9:30PM... Half of the people I walked by, were walmart employees... Then going to check out, only 1 register was open, and not even the self scanners were available...

So if the poorer people arent still shopping there, where are they shopping??? Definantly a sign of the times, and its too bad I dont see any end in sight.. So keep prepping ATS

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It does make one wonder how they don't make the connection between the economic policies, corporate practices, and Wall Street when they comment this way. Business has been pandering to investors (Wall St) for decades. Corporations make huge profits but it's never enough to satisfy the investors, is it? Who are these investors? Governments, other corporations/banks, the big money families -- all essentially the same thing, I know -- but they now have all the money. Businesses don't put money back into the business. They won't pay the employees nor try to ease their financial burden with perks anymore. So what did they really think was going to happen in the end?

It's time for us to take our trust away from these financial masterminds and put it into ourselves and our families. For years now, I've been living as low as I can, being satisfied with virtually nothing. When I need something, I ask around until my one of my friends happens upon that thing I needed, and I can usually have it for free or nearly free. Flea markets and thrift stores aren't cheap anymore. Besides, charities are fronts for fraud too, so there's no point sending a single cent there.

We need very little to survive. Do this for a year or two and watch these mountainous corporations crumble. Without our last pennies, they will start to rethink their evil plot, or at least bring their hand out onto the table for all to clearly see.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Food prices are going to go up fast soon .. it will hurt the poor and middle classes even worse. Personally I tried to plant a big garden this year.. the constant frigid temps and daily rain has either ruined most of the early plantings or dwarfed what's remaining. And I think it's safe to say we can forget about pollination.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
While I'm sure gas prices and other economic factors are part of the problem, Walmart overall has not been doing so good as of late.

A few years ago, they decided to reduce inventory, and make stores more organized (due to extra space from lack of product). They remodeled many regular-sized Walmart stores and replaced higher profit items (sporting goods, crafts, garden, etc.) with low-margin groceries. What was left was a store that was mostly groceries (and prepackaged meat and produce that doesn't look real good) and a very slim selection of everything else. What was on the shelf was mainly Walmart brands.

They did this to my local store...gutted the entire place after being closed for a year. The next nearest Walmart is/was several miles away. So people found alternatives. The local Kmart actually became somewhat busy and made some improvements. Target nearby is always packed on the weekends. I went into this particular Walmart on a Saturday afternoon and parked right near the door. Nobody was really doing a full grocery shopping trip there (this store is surrounded by 4+ major grocery chains that already battle on quality and/or price..plus they double coupons). Nobody had a full cart of anything. No department in particular seemed to really attract people. The overall vibe was that people weren't really finding what they wanted. I do applaud the look of the store..it was bright, clean, and airy, but honestly, nobody really shops at Walmart for the ambiance. They want low prices and a vast selection.

So guess what? It seems to me that people have simply decided to go elsewhere. Target has had fairly decent profits. People also seem to be getting tired of the whole Walmart experience. Dollar General and Family Dollar (for those unfamiliar, these are more of a '5 and Dime' variety store and are not strictly a $1 store) have been expanding like crazy and bringing in record profits.

And just a a few days ago, this article came out, as Walmart is adding back in the items they shouldn't have gotten rid of in the first place.

NEW YORK — Seeking to reverse seven straight quarters of same-store-sales declines at its U.S. namesake chain, Walmart said Monday that it's expanding the number of items on its shelves, launching TV advertising and working with its suppliers to lower costs. The Bentonville, Ark.-based retail giant, hurt by a previous strategy to narrow its product assortment, said it's adding about 8,500 items, or 11 percent, to an average store. Fishing supplies, crafts and fabric are among items being added back to store shelves, Walmart U.S. Chief Merchandising Officer Duncan Mac Naughton told reporters, adding that the company is tailoring some merchandise to local demand, such as selling ice-fishing tools in markets like Minnesota.

www.pressherald.com...
edit on 27-4-2011 by compwiz32190 because: added detail

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Where do you find gallon of milk for 3 dollars? It is 5 dollars here, north Carolina.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Star for you! You called it exactly as it is. China-Mart. I will never forget that! LMAO! Gonna use it in my regular language to refer to the low wage factory that it is.

We need to dissemble these large companies. It's killing all of us in the western world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join