It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your small pet sick as of recent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

We had her put to sleep
I HATED it..but you would have agreed..and I think the vet came to that conclusion too without any test. She was really old for a pure bred german shorthair. She had collapsed the day before and didn't really move. We really thought she would die on her own but she didn't and we couldn't allow the suffering to go on. She wasn't eating, drinking, etc..just sleeping. She had really been falling apart for awhile and this bout of sickness just put her in the point of no return. She had been blind and very arthritic for about year..it was a VERY difficult decision but we had been preparing ourselves for some time..
(

I feel for you and you made the right decision IMO ... mercy. Id love to be selfish and keep old Jack around but I just cant stand to see him suffer, be in pain, and waste away.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

When they are old AND sick you really do have to weigh quality of life issues. Im sorry for your loss. It really does sound like you did exactly the most humane thing for her. Its still hard though. You miss them.

Like Advantage said, there is really no point in allowing them to suffer if there isnt anything that can really be done for them. I have always had pets, and I love them to death. I always dread their old age though, because sooner or later you know the day will come when you may have to make that hard decision. Some people stop getting them, because its too hard to lose them, but I never will. They add way too much happiness to life to be without one for long.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It's probably some form of bacteria. I had one of the oldest dogs in this state at 21. I have the oldest cat in this small town now at >21 .

They lick the floor, eat dead bugs, eat off of dirty plates.

I give Rasta, Sgt. Lookie, Ginger and Smolkey colloidal silver when they seem to be fading.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I live in Dallas myself and my dog is just fine... It is possible that there is some kind of virus going around in your area that affects dogs... May want to ask your vet about that...

As I said, my dog is fine...Though he did get attacked by a cat recently for an unknown reason.Could not sleep as usual so I took him for a walk and went to check the mail etc... My dog is14 and out of nowhere this cat runs up the sidewalk and jumps him!

I stupidly reached down trying to pull the cat off and got scratched by the damn cat... So, unfortunately, I ended up kicking it just hard enough to get it off of my dog... It ran up a tree and just hissed until we left...Maybe it had kittens nearby or something....

My dog had a scratch near his eye and on his ear... But is fine.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I live in california, and run a Pomeranian rescue. We have a 20 year old dog here and a couple 16 year old dogs and they are fine. You might want to look into the doggy flu. It's been going around a lot lately, and in fact just made it's way to california. I would have the vet check on it. It starts off exactly like kennel cough, but quickly turns into pneumonia. 1 out of 10 dogs will die from it, the older and very young dogs at the most at risk.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

As long as he didnt get bitten he should be fine. But bites, you need to watch those. Cat bites can get seriously infected.

Its strange though that the cat attacked out of no where. But there are ninja cats, who for no good reason are just aggressive and territorial.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
My animals have been fine. And have not heard of or seen issues locally to the Pac NW.Whereas I don't dispute what you are asking...about the radiation-it doesn't seem a likely answer...
The symptoms your mentioning sound like Coccidia or Giaradia(intestinal 'parasites'), which are common this time of year due to run off in the water supply.

They can not only affect your dog, cat, or rabbit(etc,etc.), but yourself as well. Make sure to boil water and that your animals do not drink outside water(which also can harbor Leptospirosis for example). These organisms(flagellum) can exist dormant in the digestive system-naturally some flourish in the tract-as well as homes, yards and more. Younger animals will especially be prone to dying from Giardia.
A Vet checkup would help any pet with the symptoms and if ruled to be such a parasite, take the prescription because- Keep in mind the treatment drugs can be hard to come by, because people who are making meth in bathtubs are now using drug/s that can cure and protect your pets from these parasites.
Also, Coccidia and Giaradia are hard to diagnose from just one fecal sample because they do not always shed their oocytes/eggs. Symptoms and more than one sample play a part in the diagnosis.
edit on 29-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: correction.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Look at your food source. Most bagged dog foods have the health of toxic potatoe chips. Why would an animal be able to survive a fulll life on kibble when they should be eating fresh meat.

That is why there is a high incidence of diabetes in cats. Cats are not meant to live on corn, and pellets. They are meant to eat meat.

Start giving your dog high grade food, or adjust him to a real food diet.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

We had her put to sleep
I HATED it..but you would have agreed..and I think the vet came to that conclusion too without any test. She was really old for a pure bred german shorthair. She had collapsed the day before and didn't really move. We really thought she would die on her own but she didn't and we couldn't allow the suffering to go on. She wasn't eating, drinking, etc..just sleeping. She had really been falling apart for awhile and this bout of sickness just put her in the point of no return. She had been blind and very arthritic for about year..it was a VERY difficult decision but we had been preparing ourselves for some time..
(

I feel for you and you made the right decision IMO ... mercy. Id love to be selfish and keep old Jack around but I just cant stand to see him suffer, be in pain, and waste away.

I agree with you guys...it's really, really hard to have your friend and companion put to sleep. When my family's black lab was put to sleep, I sat there with her and held her as they gave her the shot. It was the least I could do for her, you know? Ok I gotta stop typing about this, heh, I'm a big, wet rag when it comes to my animals...you know that ASPCA commercial with the one-eyed-puppy? yeah, that always makes me cry. Heh. Anyhow, off topic.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm on the west coast of the US and my little guy (cat) is doing great as always.

I seriously doubt it would be radiation at all. If radiation levels were high enough to actually cause radiation poisoning there would be people dropping like flies all over the place. The real danger with Fukashima is from developing cancer 10 years down the line, not loosing your hair and getting sick. For creatures outside the immediate area, that is.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join