It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New absurd US passport questionnaire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

New absurd US passport questionnaire

rt.com

In addition to providing additional information on the applicant, the questionnaire would seek additional details on the applicant’s friends and family – i.e. details on pre-natal and post-natal care, the mother's residence one year before and after the applicant’s birth, the names of those in attendance at the birth and those present for any religious or institutional events surrounding the birth.
"The State Department estimated that the average respondent would be able to compile all this information in just 45 minutes, which is obviously absurd given the amount of research that is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I apologise if this has been previously posted. A search has yielded no results thus far.
Currently I am to tired to be infuriated by this. However, I'd like to say I am thankful I'm not American or that I don't live in the U.S.A.
This questionare is absurd. What justification are we going to see them use this time? Islamic terrorism? Domestic terrorism? American's hate us for our freedom?
I don't know what the statistics are for American passport holders are, but I am sure they are low and that this will only make them lower. Stupidity I tell ya.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Crap.

My friends want me to go to Australia with them in August, so in the next few days I was planning on applying for a passport since I'm the only one of us who doesn't have one...

Nice to be given a heads up about all the information they're gonna be asking me.

Although it seems to be a bit much. What do religious ceremonies proceeding my birth have anything to do with whether I'm a citizen or not... wouldn't a birth certificate be enough?

*sigh* It seems things are getting more and more obsessively anal. xP

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
So now not only are we screwed, but now we will have a hard time doing our own "bailout"?

Great. My mom had a brain annurysim(sp?) She dont remember these things. And those adopted?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Odds are they got sued recently for something so had to change some policy. That's why you see directions on stupid things like how to use a ladder or a toaster lol.

Sounds like they are just covering their bases by saying, "see we asked them about it so it's not our fault."

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

The article said new proposed questionaire for some applicants. Apparently is hasn't gone into effect yet. The inssane thing about all of this is it doesn't affect people coming into the US passports are issued by country of origin. Which means it is for people trying to leave the country or trying to come back to the US. I guess anyone one can come here we just cant leave.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
the great beck made a awesome comment on this today

if you didnt hear the presidents speach the other day about americans whether they came from elliis island or the rio grande.

illegals dont need to fill out this assinine form but you a legal citizen of this country does.

seriously how much more fascist can this country get i ask you all.

dunno whose brainchild that form was but they need fired and the person who approved that monstrosity needs to be fired as well.

god save the republic because it sure as hell looks like we cant

edit on 27-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Interesting.

My thought is that this makes it more difficult to get a passport, which is a device used when EXITING the country. Why would the US want to make it more difficult for their citizens to exit the country? Maybe they don't want mass emigrations as TSHTF?

Or maybe they're trying to give the blackmarketeers a boost.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
So once again, as is the norm with ATS,

NONE OF YOU READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE POSTING

Bloody hell the mainstream media must love you people, going off with a knee jerk reaction after only scanning the misleading headline. Dont worry about the details, the headline is enough to influence you lot.
edit - except for redrose123 who posted while I was typing.

... proposed rules... may require some applicants...
... used to supplement an application for a US passport when the applicant submits citizenship or identity evidence that is insufficient or of questionable authenticity,

Isnt this a GOOD thing...
That the overwhelming vast majority of applicants DONT need to submit this form?
That if the initial applicantion looks dodgy or fraudulent, that the authorities ask more questions?

edit on 27-4-2011 by alfa1 because: clarity

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Ah, but you fail to understand the US political psyche.

As soon as something is on paper, whether it is voluntary, optional, or likely to affect only a few, it becomes mandatory, required, and impacts everyone in the country.

So, "bloody hell" is right.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
A few more details.
There was a 60 day period where comments about the proposed form could be submitted.
This ended a few days ago.

The proposed form itself can be seen here...
Form

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
May be they just want to stop so many people getting passports. Would these requirements also apply to the rich and powerfull. It might pay to look into exemptions for these requirments.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
Interesting.

My thought is that this makes it more difficult to get a passport, which is a device used when EXITING the country. Why would the US want to make it more difficult for their citizens to exit the country? Maybe they don't want mass emigrations as TSHTF?

That's about the extent of it. The government only wants control of the taxpayers and their potential assets. Otherwise there would be no borders at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
sounds like they are just trying to trap us here.

hmmmmmm

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I got a passport a month or so ago. I didn't see any of those questions on the form.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I am by no means a Glenn Beck fan, if it's true what he says, it's scary. Everyone, who doesn't have a passport yet should get one asap!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HedyLamarr
I am by no means a Glenn Beck fan, if it's true what he says, it's scary.

Actually for me, his website made things LESS scary.
As he says in the video, his office contacted the State Department....

While not being able to answer a question would not preclude an applicant from being issued a passport, the official said, “Passport adjudicators will consider the information derived from the form in its entirety to confirm identity and citizenship, the two elements required by law for U.S. passport issuance.”

So no, you DONT have to completely fill out the form. Every field is not required.

In other words, just like the current procedure where you provide as much extra identity info as you can (that doesnt have a form, you just write it freehand on whatever scrap of paper you have lying around), but on a form.

Up until going to Glenn Beck's website, I was under the impression (like most) that you had to fill out *all* parts of the form. Now it turns out you dont. Glenn beck knew that when he made the video... but somehow neglected to say.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have never left the US and dont plan on doing so. Everything outside the U.S. is prone to regular riots, revolutions, civil unrest, rebel groups, bombings, kidnapping of Americans and shoddy infrastructure. I dont even have a passport and don't even know how to get one if I wanted to.

I am happy and safe right here in good 'ol United States of America.

Besides, the Solar storms next year will put everyone on Earth back to the 1800's anyways, so I just continue stockpiling supplies till then.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I have never left the US and dont plan on doing so. Everything outside the U.S. is prone to regular riots, revolutions, civil unrest, rebel groups, bombings, kidnapping of Americans and shoddy infrastructure. I dont even have a passport and don't even know how to get one if I wanted to.

I am happy and safe right here in good 'ol United States of America.

Besides, the Solar storms next year will put everyone on Earth back to the 1800's anyways, so I just continue stockpiling supplies till then.

you're being sarcastic correct?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I can't find ANYWHERE that says the proposed new DS-5513 is in effect. If you click on trying to get a new passport now it still requires the old DS-11 (2-page) form.

DS-11 form in Current Application for Passport (.gov site)

DS-5513 Proposed Application form for Passport

Federal Register for Proposed Information Collection

Common American Journal story on all this.

new topics

top topics

join