It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remove Star and Flag feature in this section?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm sure some of the people that use this section as their own personal S&F factory are going to bash me for this, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway, as it has been something on my mind for a little while.

This section is basically where anyone can come in, make things up out of thin air, and then get tons and tons of stars and flags. For what? What does this contribute to ATS? Out of the hundreds of threads has one single person ever been right about something? And I don't mean something incredible vague that could apply to anything, I mean saying "Situation X will happen on _____" kind of thing?

I have no problem with people posting their dreams and predictions. What I do have a problem with is important and relevant topics being bumped off the front page because of someone's dream or prediction. If you want to share your imaginary ideas with everyone that's cool, but personally I don't feel that stars and flags should be allowed to be given in this section. Anyone else agree?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I agree completely. A dream or prediction can be interesting, but no more so then any other piece of short fiction.

No stars or flags for you!
edit on 23-4-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I believe that some people think their dreams and predictions are extremely relevant and I don't think you have the right to determine for the rest of Ats what is important and what isn't.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
I agree completely. A dream or prediction can be interesting, but no more so then any other piece of short fiction.

No stars or flags for you!
edit on 23-4-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

Yeah I probably should have stated in my OP but please don't flag this thread, that goes against my whole point for making it.

Originally posted by kro32
I believe that some people think their dreams and predictions are extremely relevant

I could think the rotten potato in my potato drawer is extremely relevant but that doesn't make it so.

Originally posted by kro32
I I don't think you have the right to determine for the rest of Ats what is important and what isn't.

When people flag a thread that is exactly what they are doing, determining for the rest of ATS that the thread is important, and by not flaging it determining for the rest of ATS that it isn't.

A dream is a personal thing, not something that is going to inform or help anyone else. Do you have proof to the contrary?

Every single prediction always turns out to be false, so how is a false prediction important or relevant?

Actual current events, or other things that are really going on, or subjects that aren't proven but have evidence put fourth for them can actually help and/or inform people here on ATS. How is someone elses' dream or prediction going to help anyone? How is it going to inform them?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Allowing dreams and prediction threads are simply a way that ATS is being cheapened by egocentrics and those that actually want to drastically lower the credibility of ATS.

I have a short Rant earlier today that gives an insight into that thinking.

Threads on dreams and predictions are as worthless as shaky, "lights in the sky," videos that add nothing to the UFO debate.

While many people believe that dreams--predictive or not--are impmortant and want to hear of them from others, they as a rule are of little worth.

I pass them by while at the exact same instant knowing that some of my own rare dreams are key to my own development and self-understanding. Personally, I doubt that the dreams of other are of much help to another.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am not a big fan of the Dreams and Prediction threads but I think it's a false assumption to believe that people flag threads on behalf of 'ATS', they flag it because they personally feel it's important and worth reading.

Some people thought the Color Purple was very important and worth reading. I didn't agree with them but it was a best seller nonetheless.

I think it's also a false assumption to believe that if a dream or prediction thread ends up with 200, 300, 400 flags that a lot of members aren't enjoying it on some level.

In fact some of those threads bring in new members anxious to comment on them.

I think to a certain extent we would all like to from our own unique perspective 'define' what ATS is and should be, but the truth is that's just individually what a single person attempting that really would like it to be.

What it is, is a very diverse, often eclectic, sometimes mystifying, sometimes brilliant, sometimes insightful, sometimes inciting, sometimes petty, sometimes noble, sometimes down right silly but staunchly alternative place, that is all about user generated content and members deciding what rises to the top of the heap.

People talk about stars and flags all the time like they are some how some commodity worth fighting over and envying, and begrudging.

The truth is it’s really all about the content, and your willingness to share, learn, teach, and do your level best to get along with others and create a cordial atmosphere in a very diverse online community.

When it comes to the sentence above some members do better than others, but to me that’s what ATS is really all about, people wanting to share, people who enjoy that they do.

edit on 23/4/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I flagged this thread just to make you feel special.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
For thousands of years of human history dreams and predictions played a major role...

We all remember the cry "Beware the Ides of March"

TrueAmerican predicted the month and location (March Japan) of the next 8.0 plus earthquake and posted that prediction on ATS... seems he was right.

So I consider this are of the human condition very important and too neglected by modern science.

new topics

top topics

join