It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father trying to fix pistol accidentally shoots daughter, 11, in head

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Basic common sense safety rules broken.

And these are the guys who are supposed to better than all of us.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That's a joke, when I was in corrections academy, for the vast majority of people it was the first time they'd ever handled a weapon (G23). I had never had my head on a swivle more in my life! Most Leo's aren't "gun guys" most of em barely qual'd and half of em only shoot once a year during qual. I've had guys that couldn't break their weapons down for cleaning (It only has 4 parts) You wonder why we have leo shootings up here with crazy round counts & shots fired? There is your answer. Lack of supplemental training.

Enough has been said about the father of the little girl , He didn't follow the 4 rules and a terrible thing resulted from it. I wish his daughter a speedy recovery.

Here is the brainwashing that has kept myself and my family & friends safe!

A Combat Marksmanship Instructor, or CMI, teaches recruits the fundamentals of weapons safety with their M-16A2 service rifle.
During Firing Week, which is the second week of marksmanship training, recruits hear the four rifle range safety rules several times each day. Recruits will hear these safety rules frequently for the rest of their time in the Marine Corps and many Marines remember them for the rest of their life.

The four rifle range safety rules are:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.

Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.

Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot.

Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I really hope that this was a freak accident and an other warning for gun owners to be extra careful when handeling a gun.

On the other side, when such an unnatural death with family involved occurs it should be thoroughly investigated by a forensic team because more than often the victim in such a family setting turns out to be murdered. This girl is fortunately still alive and I am sure that the father thanks God for that....no matter what caused her the injury.

If the shooting was intensionally the reason for such a regretable act can be something insignificant and caused by an accumulation of stressful events. If there is a history of serious domestic problems in that family it should certainly be adviced to approach this 'accident' as a serious foul play investigation.

edit on 23-4-2011 by zatara because: I forgot something

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Damn not good, Poor girl. Excuse my naivety (I'm from the UK) but is a .22-calibre pistol not that powerful? I take it a higher calibre she wouldn't be here. Not being morbid just curious.

Either way I hope she makes a full recovery.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thats quite sad. We should always be careful around weapons and not become complacent. That man is going to regret that for the rest of his life. Is he being charged for manslaughter etc?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MrHappyman989

The .22 is mainly used for target practice and hunting small game. It is generally considered not powerful enough to be considered a self defense cartridge although many people have been killed by them. While not the sole factor in determining a calibers use for self defense the muzzle energy is a good place to start as it measures the round's actual ability to do work i.e. destroy flesh. The muzzle energy of a .22LR is around 100 ft lbs of energy. Most experts consider around 300-400 ft lbs minimum for an effective self defense round. This is achieved by guns like the .380ACP, .38 Special, and standard 9mm loads. Most police in the US today carry guns chambered for the .40 S&W caliber loaded with rounds that achieve around 500 ft lbs of energy. So, yes the .22 is kind of a wimpy round. She was lucky her moronic daddy didn't have a .40 or a .45 otherwise the result might have been fatal.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I need to clarify that the father is not the Sheriff in this thread. I will see how to delete that from the title. The article starts off with the word Sheriff, my apologies about any misleading info here. I took it from the headline of the article.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Maybe I missed something in the article, but it doesn't say he's the Sheriff? .. It says ...........

"Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole says the man was doing target practice with a .22-caliber pistol outside his home near Braham (bram) when the gun jammed."

So, unless he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, he's not the Sheriff, he's just some tool who doesn't know how to use a gun.

EDIT: Sorry OP, I didn't see your response above mine..

edit on 4/23/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

This is a very missleading statement.
The 22 has been used in slauhgter houses for years to kill cattle before butchering.
Any round can be deadly. The 22 tends to bounce around the inside of a body doing
tremendous damage. Ask the victims of John Hinckley.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TriggerFish

The .22 in slaughter houses, like the air gun, is not used to kill cattle.. it's used to stun them or knock them out. They are then hung up side down, throat slit, and bled to death.

Sorry hamburger lovers..

Anyways, of the ammunition available, a .22 is least deadly besides smaller bird ammunition, pellets, BB's etc. If shot in the head with a .22 if it's not catastrophic, ie, bullet is lodged in the center of the brain, brain stem, frontal lobe (blinding) etc, the worst of the damage would come from bleeding. Saying the .22 will bounce around the body is false, and saying it will bounce around the head, assuming it makes it all the way through the skull would require a perfect trajectory and angle for the bullet, it would also help being at a very close range so as the velocity of the bullet is higher and thus expends the energy inside the body. A 9mm is a perfect bullet for such a thing. the girl in the story was lucky it was a .22 because from the time of being shot in the head till EMS arrived to her rural home, transported her all the way to the hospital she never even lost consciousness.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TriggerFish

As noted any round can be lethal. The .22 was used in slaughterhouses not because it was particularly deadly but because it is cheap and easy to shoot and effective on restrained animals at point blank range.

The claim, ".22s bounce around inside the body and do terrible damage", is a myth. Especially so if talking about .22lr rounds fired from a pistol. The .22 is not used as a self defense round because most of the time a person shot with a .22, even if the wound is eventually fatal, is still functional and a threat for many minutes after being shot. The more conventional self defense rounds do much more damage than a .22 possible neutralizing the threat due to pain and causing a much faster bleed out and subsequent death.

All you have to do is fire both a .357 Magnum and .22LR pistol to realize the .357 has much more power.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I guess I would agree that a 22 caliber bullet would most certainly not have quite the impact of a .357 magnum caliber bullet/cartridge upon a person. My brother, did however survive a point blank shot in the chest with a .357 magnum and survived. Lucky for him. I do hope that this sweet little eleven year old is doing well, of which I have not heard otherwise at this date. I'm thinking she will be okay.
edit on 25-4-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Horrible event, they need to start teaching gun safety in school. Just the basics you know(so the anti-gun, pro slavery/genocide crowd won't throw a hissy fit).

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Bit of a late reply but thanks for answering my question mate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join