It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado: Storm Wreckage Surrounds St. Louis Airport

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by katfish
Okay. Remaining calm.
There was one long-event tornado (North) and it stimulated probably one other. The other was a semi-long event tornado (South) that merged with North to make a massive bow front storm with straight line winds into Illinois.

We were in the middle of it all (North) and the storm held together very well for many, many miles. Probably due to the humidity and rain St. Louis was experiencing. It fed the storm. When the tornado passed overhead we had extreme pressure drop with ears hurting. Our immed area was ok but a few miles away sustained major damage in neighborhoods.

Lambert Airport will probably re-open by tomorrow.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries.

The airport wasn't wiped out and these were relatively SMALL tornadoes in the area.

Some debris, glass blown out, a few planes damaged, and the roof messed up on con. 6. The real story is that this storm season is shaping up like the ones in the 60's... news reports hundreds of homes destroyed, hundreds homeless, thousands of homes damaged, and thousands without electricity.

Im across from you in Il... and we got slammed pretty good. The one a few days ago, we'd gotten baseball sized hail and tornadoes, this one we get golfball and straight line winds. My home is double brick, but my garage is siding... sans half of its siding and shingles now.
We really didnt get it bad in my immed area but all around us was pretty darned bad. tens of thousands without power and trees were pulled up, twisted off, and in spots the tops of the trees were just broken off. We'd seen a few telephone poles just snapped in half.

I have friends in New Melle in Mo and they called a strike team out for that area last night but then NSTL got his so bad they sent them there instead! In New Melle there was said to have been 20+ homes involved in what they thought was a touchdown.

Im not from this area.. only been here 5 yrs due to a transfer.. and among all of the things that the Midwest has that I dislike, weather is top on my list.
Keep in mind though... these tornadoes are SMALL and most damage was from straight line winds in our entire area. The odds are getting better that we're going to have the large ones and a wild weather decade like in the 60's. This weather isnt anything new.. it HAS happened before... but doesnt make it any less frightening or economically bad.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Advantage because: added a sentence

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thanks for the update Ad

Glad to hear the news!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yeah, i have not noticed any warming where i live...please show me where it is warmer ??

This has been one dam cold spring.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
An apparent tornado tore through Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, lifting the roof off a concourse, injuring several people and forcing the airport's closure. People scurried for shelter as plated glass shattered around them. (Apr. 23)

www.youtube.com...

All flights are being diverted this morning from Lambert-Saint Louis international airport after an apparent tornado tore through the airport injuring several people. Maggie Crane reports

www.youtube.com...

Sunrise Saturday morning revealed massive amounts of damage across the St. Louis area in the wake of a tornado or torandos that raced across the area Friday night. The damage is just starting to be assessed.

The worst appears to have occurred in the Bridgeton area in Norht St. Louis County. The Harmann Estates subdivision off Old St. Charles Rock Road. Over a dozen homes are completely destroyed in the area of Beaverton Drive.

Much of the debris from those houses ended up just to the east on Taylor Drive, where several more homes suffered significant damage. A race against the clock was underway Saturday morning to get tarps on rooves before more rain moved in. www.fox2now.com...

edit on 23-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The St. Louis airport is closed indefinately!! It probably is HAARP! Did anyone think about the fact that once the airport is taken out, the ability to receive aid and assistance from this point on including AFTER the MEGA QUAKE if they do it soon is nill!! Think about that guys! No way to get help after the quake because it normally comes in on military aircraft. Also if you look at the weather pattern for the next couple days, it looks like a repeat along the same path. If they take out some overpasses or flood the area, no trucks coming in with aid either! Nasty!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Thanks for the update Ad

Glad to hear the news!

No prob, my dear
They say the airport will be open for business on Sunday ( tomorrow). God forbid we lose the money from that holiday traffic LOL! The one guy who was in the plane trying to take off when it hit said it rocked the plane violently and pushed them from gate 12 to gate 10... the wind was vicious. he had called the news station whie stuck on the damaged plane and waiting for a bus to pick them up. Id have been scared to death.. like in a tin can in a tornado!

I do expect some gnarly storms this season.. looks like its stacking up to be one of those years I get to re-side my garage 3 times.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is worse damage than previously thought...and its now confirmed...

National Weather Service meteorologist Scott Truett confirmed Saturday it was a tornado that struck the airport.

St. Louis’ International Airport was closed Saturday after a tornado swept through a terminal, injuring several people and forcing the airport to be closed indefinitely.

There was extensive damage to the airport's busiest terminal, where 40 to 50 percent of glass was blown in, according to Lambert-St. Louis International Airport Spokesman Jeff Lea.

Mayor Francis Slay said Lambert would be shut down "indefinitely," impacting 256 daily departures and arrivals from the facility. www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

OM! The plane was pushed along!

Man I would have freaked!

Looks like the mayor just announced the airport will be closed indefinitely...

I hope everyone is ok, and those hurt recover well.

I have been in that airport a few times....

I also am very afraid of tornados, having lived in the tornado belt some long time ago.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Looks like your into sensationalism. The airport is hardly wiped out and will be just fine. I'm surprised you haven't connected this to HAARP in some way yet but at least it's a break from all the earthquake doom and gloom, which isn't coming true yet by the way.

Go figure

Wow every thread I go to all you do is knock the the OP?? What gives? If you don't have anything to contribute why bother posting?? Are you what they call a troll??? Or do you have something large stuck up your &^$

If you seriously have something important to say why don't you write your own damn thread instead of being an insatiable critical &*$#@

Tornadoes are not a joke, speaking from a place where last week I had to evacuate my home with my children to avoid an EF3. We got lucky and were blessed, it missed my house by only a few miles.......

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8041b132ae1.jpg[/atsimg]

Photo credit to yfrog.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1af534440477.jpg[/atsimg]

Photo credit to
yfrog.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Looks like someone got a video of it as it was happening...

Scary!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Storm worst since 1967, weather service says

ST. LOUIS • The National Weather Service reports that the storm that ripped through the region Friday was the worst it has seen in more than 40 years.

The last time the area saw such severe and widespread damage was on Jan. 24., 1967, when a tornado traveled 21 miles across St. Louis County following an eerily similar path.

That was the fourth-worst tornado in history to hit the St. Louis metropolitan area, according to the weather service. www.stltoday.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Helicopter footage here in this video...

www.stltoday.com...

Looks severe...

Lightening video here:

Amazing Lightning Bolts - St.louis Tornadic Supercell Storm 4/22/2011

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

WOW that video was scary!!! It gives me anxiety just watching it! Like I said in my previous post, TORNADOES ARE NO JOKE!!!

I'm actually planning on building a storm shelter after this weeks storms. I don't have a basement unfortunately.......

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Yeah, when large things start flying, I cant look have to close my eyes.

Scary!

Tornados have no mercy...they just rip. I have never seen on myself, only a twister
which was scary enough. They stories I have heard from family members made an impression.

Very Close Intense Lightening

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I was supposed to fly in there today, but they have shut down the airport indefinitely so I guess I'm hoping a flight to Kansas City or Indianapolis... The damage mostly hit Terminal C.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I was supposed to fly in there today, but they have shut down the airport indefinitely so I guess I'm hoping a flight to Kansas City or Indianapolis... The damage mostly hit Terminal C.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Amazing videos, thank you, born and raised in tornado alley, you don't need sirens to know one is near, that moment just before it hits, you can smell it in the air, and see it in the hue of the sky, it is so calm and the air as fresh as it will ever be, then the wind chimes start, my very earliest memory is sitting in the bedroom closet with my mom and watching them go by through the bedroom widow, trees knocked down all around us but it didn't touch the house, every year people that live in the mid-west have to pick up the pieces, every year you pray it misses you,

If only you could live in that moment just before the storm, it is inexplicably beautiful.
edit on 023030p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Oh.. around here some say indefinitely and on the news theyre saying it opens tomorrow. Probably not concourse C.. but Im sure parts will be open.

They said last night that the folks in the air traffic control tower saw the funnel cloud.. and we knew it was a tornado already, but it wasnt a real big one. When they assess the damage we will get a rating on he tornado. I havent even looked recently for it, they may already have rated it.

If what you posted is true, that this season will be worse than the one in the 60's... erm.. I wanna transfer and get out of here yesterday!
I live in a double brick huge old historic home.. I have this false sense of security.. and a stone basement. My mother says ( from Montana) that I wont be so secure under a pile of bricks with a f4. She had to go shatter my cozy false sense of security as only a mother can do...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join