It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Out-Of-Date: Dawkins 10 Commandment Alternative.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hello, further to my thread regarding an alternative list of "commandments" proposed by Christopher Hitchens here

I present the Dawkin's 10 commandments:-

Please note, Dawkins does not wish to be authoritive, or controlling - He's merely showing that religious ethical and moral teaching can easily be replaced (and improved) to include both people with belief and people without.

1. Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you

2. In all things, strive to cause no harm

3. Treat your fellow human beings, your fellow living things, and the world in general with love, honesty, faithfulness and respect.

4. Do not overlook evil or shrink from administering justice, but always be ready to forgive wrongdoing freely admitted and honestly regretted.

5. Live life with a sense of joy and wonder

6. Always seek to be learning something new

7. Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.

8. Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

9. Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.

10. Question everything

SOURCE: www.sacredriver.org...

As mentioned on the link above -"this list was not written by Dawkins, but only offered in his book" (The God Delusion)

Any comments and alternatives to would be appreciated. I encourage debate of religious ethical and moral teaching against ethical and moral teaching free from religious prejudice.

Peace
edit on 22/4/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Cool story.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Thanks, same to you regarding your bible.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Where are the punishments for disobeying these commandments? How do I know which ones I should put someone to death for? These new commandments are too "nice" for my tastes. Needs more fire and brimstone.

How can we get people to follow these commandments if there is no threat of death or divine judgement involved with them? This is madness!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Love it!

As to the consequences... these commandments, from what I can see, are self explanatory.
Examples:
"Do not follow blindly" - If you believe everything everyone tells you it makes you a fool.
"Treat all things how you would like to be treated" (paraphrased) - If no one does this then there is pain inflicted to someone, something. All you have to do is look at our world the way it is today to see that this commandment is not being followed by the vast majority of human kind.
I think it is high time we take a serious look at these guideposts.
Goes directly into the Wiccan Rede- "Do as ye will, lest ye harm none"
If we were all to constantly strive (to the best of your ability) to live our lives in as harmless a way as possible (yourself, your neighbors, and Mother Earth included) the entire world as we know it would change.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

Nice satire.
Anyway, these are just common sense. Anyone guided by a positive moral compass will already encompass (hehe) these things. Which is why they are so good.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kylioneXsushi

A moral compass consisting of "not being a dick" i find is more than enough.

I found cheeky image alluding to the same -

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Thanks, same to you regarding your bible.

So it's okay for you to reply "cool story" in someone else's thread, but when someone does it in your thread you get pissy??

Hypocrite much?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
7. Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.

8. Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

That will never be done by those who disbelieve in God,

And their theory of evolution which has no facts is to cherished for them to discard because that would leave God as the true answer to it all. Which in turn means that their life style choice probably does not fit the standards that God has for us, which would mean that they as we all are, are sinners.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

LOL - I honestly enjoy you posting.

Thanks again for your response.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Thanks for your comments.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Dawkins is a fundamentalist Atheist.

He say religion has caused a lot of pain in the earth. Actually it's human beings who have caused the pain Richard.

Lets examine Stalin, the perfect atheist. He killed 20,000,000... 20 Million people in his Fundamentalist Atheism and Richard Dawkins has ignored that as most do.

Too selective, too fundamental himself. What would he do to stop religion? Kill them all?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I disagree with you. 7 is my most cherished of those commandments. It's actually why I'm an atheist. Of course, the fact that you're just spewing unabashed bigotry instead of something constructive is telling.

Anyway, great thread. It's more or less how I try to live my life.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Originally posted by daggyz
Dawkins is a fundamentalist Atheist.

How can you be a fundamentalist in not believing in any deity?

He say religion has caused a lot of pain in the earth. Actually it's human beings who have caused the pain Richard.

...no, religion has caused a lot of pain too. It is a human construct after all.

Lets examine Stalin, the perfect atheist. He killed 20,000,000... 20 Million people in his Fundamentalist Atheism and Richard Dawkins has ignored that as most do.

Stalin killed people in the name of Stalin. He was a horrible individual who happened to be an atheist. I'm not going to say he wasn't an atheist, but he clearly killed people either for the sake of his own power or in the name of totalitarian communism.

Furthermore...Stalin and any other atheist who has done horrible things in the modern age had modern mechanized warfare as well as modern supply lines to cut off to kill people...the religious murders of the past had nothing but bows, swords, horses, and maybe some muskets and they didn't even have as many targets as population figures rose exponentially in the 20th century.

Such a stupid argument (one which Dawkins actually addresses in his book).

Too selective, too fundamental himself. What would he do to stop religion? Kill them all?

Wow, you're going to assume that someone who has specifically abhorred genocide is going to commit it? Dawkins has given the solution to religion before....let it die its own death through people becoming informed and understanding it.

new topics

top topics

join