It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Break The Cycle??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Today, on short notice, I had the privilege of conducting a tour of the Police Department to two groups of troubled youth from a local public school. I don't often get to address these kids unless it is a situation where they don't want to talk to me because they are in trouble. I gave them some info I thought they could use in the conference room and then started the tour down the hall to the police station.

As soon as we got into the hallway a young man of about 15 yoa stated boastfully "I'll be in prison in 3 to 5 years". I asked him if he thought that was "cool" or a good thing. He briefly back paddled and we continued the tour. He was dressed in the "thug" style, for lack of a better description.

So, to my question; how do we break this cycle? Young men thinking that their life should include a term in prison as a right of passage into adulthood someway. I asked him his name just so that I could properly address him and he stated that I did not need to know his name. Every time his friend would say something revealing about them or someone else he would tell him to be quiet. As we passed my office, there was a mug shot on the bulletin board and he stated that he knew that guy and called him by name, again in a proud sort of way.

How do we rescue our children from a life of crime that seems as normal to them as being required to go to school? Required military service or trade school? It starts at home, but many are taught "how to" commit crimes by relatives. It's like there is no out. An endless cycle. I guess there is no real answer.

As a Christian I know the answer but even that cannot be shoved down someone's throat.

Before I close, Please do not turn this into some sort of "cop bashing" thread. It's not about the cops, its about the kids.

Seeashrink

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
In a country with over 2 million in prison and over 7 million on probation or parole how can you NOT expect a prison "culture"? There are neighboorhoods and families where over half the men are in the legal system.

The war on drugs can be blamed for most of this, along with the fact of single parent homes because the spouse is locked up. It isnt the "silver bullet" to fix it all but it would be a good start

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

I can certainly agree with that if they are non-violent offenders. But along with that condition there should be someway to insure that they don't continue or contribute to the problem. I don't know the answer to that, but surely it could be done at least for the same price it cost to keep them in prison.
Seeashrink

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seeashrink

Like I said....it aint a silver bullet.

Ending the war on drugs would have many side effects

It would take away the "Hero Worship" of local dealers
Greatly reduce the power of gangs
Allow people to get treatment easier
etc

Of course without people taking responsability for there lives and there kids its not going to cure everything, but its a good start. Sadly its took a couple genorations of the drug war to get to this point.....so it would take some time to fix the issue.

Like you, I dont have all the answers, But I think almost everyone agrees that what we have now isnt working

Its sad this hasnt had more responses

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

I agree and thank you. I was beginning to think I had been black balled or something. I don't think that we will see this resolved in our life time......sadly.
Seeashrink

top topics

join