It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Pranks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Anyone have any good computer pranks for if you have a brother or sister or roomate that leave their computers up?

Here is one, it will freak them out the first time you do it.

Make a new shortcut on your desktop.
Set the target location to C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "Trojan Horse detected. System shutting down in 60 seconds."
Make the icon's name Internet Explorer.
Change the icon to Internet Exlorer by going to program files -> internet explorer.
Delete the original Internet Explorer icon.

Next time this person clicks on Internet Explorer, a message will come up that says Trojan Horse detected. System shutting down in 60 seconds. And then it will shut down in 60 seconds. And they will think they have a virus or someone hacked their computer.

Here is a variation on it, even more evil, even better.
Starts out the same way, make a new shortcut on your desktop. Set the target location to C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "insert message here"
Make icon's name "startup"
Move the icon to the Startup file under All Programs.
Next time this person starts up their computer it will shut down in 60 seconds.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I had a friend who liked to open and close my disc tray. He did this from his own home around 30 minutes away from me. The first time it really freaked me out but once I found out what it was it just got annoying after awhile haha.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
might as well rename the internet shortcut that and get the same effect, the best thing is to lock them out of their own computer

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Scary maze:

Vid, watch at 4:00

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is old school, but I don't see why it would not work with newer computers ... and it is not as cool as the ones you've mentioned.

Hit the print screen key (which copy's your desktop), save it as a jpg or image file and then set it as the wallpaper. Hide all the icons under My Documents, leaving just the image of the icons on the desktop. That really works if they have a lot of icons on the desktop, otherwise, doesn't quite have the same effect. So, they will click away on an icon or rather, the image of an icon, rather than the icon, wondering why it isn't opening.

Simple

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
You could send out some printer control codes to change the printer's default display (if it has one).

I changed our printers display from "READY" to "INSERT COIN".

No-one figured it out but it was fun for a day.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
my favourite..

Ctrl+Alt+[Arrow Key]

rotates screen 90, 180 or 270degrees ...

"dude my screen is upside down!!"

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Take a screenshot of their desktop. Save it as a jpeg. Hide all of there desktop files in a subfolder(be sure not to lose them). Set the screenshot as the desktop background. When they try to click on any shortcut or application, nothing will happen.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
nm i c wat you mean good one
edit on 17-4-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
my favourite..

Ctrl+Alt+[Arrow Key]

rotates screen 90, 180 or 270degrees ...

"dude my screen is upside down!!"

hahahaha thats a great one people have done that to me and I never knew how to fix it. This is one of those that if you don't know the trick you can never fix it... Now I finally know how to fix it.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
I had a friend who liked to open and close my disc tray. He did this from his own home around 30 minutes away from me. The first time it really freaked me out but once I found out what it was it just got annoying after awhile haha.

How do you pull that one off?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

I have no idea how he did it. He also liked to take copies of any D&D books I had saved on my computer. He liked to hack and stuff like that. But he ended up going to juvie for his hobby O.o.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Damn that's too bad if we got some real hackers on this thread we could have some dirty pranks.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
After working under a crappy boss for a while
I went to work early one day and went to his
office where I opened his tower and inserted a
dead fish on the bottom of it and closed it back up.

Back in the "Mac" days there was a program that
would write out full words or sentences if you typed a few words
needles to say our fellow worker how would always I M during working hrs
got red in the face. Different things would pop up and be entered onto the screen.
Some were just funny things and some were nasty depended on
if she used those keywords we "macroed"
After a few days lets say she started proof reading what she wrote
before she sent in chat or email.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have a friend that loves windows 7.

One day we stopped at his place for a few beers and i knew he would start his computer to check his emails.

I got to his computer before he did a plugged in my linux on a pen drive in the back of his computer.

It was fun when his computer booted up into a strange OS that he had no idea what it was or how to use.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by ANNED because: doabryty

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have a friend that loves windows 7.

One day we stopped at his place for a few beers and i knew he would start his computer to check his emails.

I got to his computer before he did a plugged in my linux on a pen drive in the back of his computer.

It was fun when his computer booted up into a strange OS that he had no idea what it was or how to use.

Haha yes an external hard drive opens up endless possibilities. You can prepare your prank on your external hard drive and then when you get to their computer just import the files. I'll have to think of something with that.

join