It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria found in meat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria found in meat

www.desmoinesregister.com

Meat and poultry sold in supermarkets may be widely contaminated with staph bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, scientists found.

Researchers tested beef, chicken, pork and turkey from stores in five U.S. cities and found drug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria in one in every four samples.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Antibiotic resistant bacteria found in meat and poultry.

To top it off it was found in 75% of the samples. They are killed by cooking so cook your food well.
But they can be transfered by contamination with raw meat so need to keep that in mind.

I think contamination of a few specimens at a few stores would be normal, but 75% of them contaminated? Where possibly is this contamination coming from?

www.desmoinesregister.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I just recently found a scientific report stating that they'd found that honey combats this resistance to antibiotics unfortunately I didn't read the full report so don't want to comment on this - perhaps other members have seen it?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I know the government has been pushing to have all meat radiated. Maybe this is just a cover story to push for the implementation of radiated food. Fear tactics can change minds. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This building drug resistance has been known for a long time. It is due to feeding the animals lots of antibiotics so they grow faster and less of them die, it gives better returns on investment. So what happens as this drug resistance becomes more prevalent? Who cares as long as big business makes even bigger profits. If the medical science cannot keep up with this problem then the CEO's sell all there stocks and go over seas as usual to avoid any responsibility and fallout.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i wouldnt worry about it.. i think the combination of pesticides, aspartame, flouride, gm crops, poisonous plastics that package our food, chemicals in our food and the pollution in the air we breathe are enough to kill most known germs and bacteria..
im sure most of our bodies in the western world are really inhospitable places..

edit on 16/4/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Umm basic maths 101..... 1 in 4 is 25%

2nd...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by exo87

Elsewhere in the article it stated 47% so between the OP and the paper there is some sloppy reporting going on.

It is still a problem nevertheless. My personal opinion is that all factory farms should to be outlawed. I would rather pay a little more up front; even if I had to eat meat less often, than consume this biologically and chemically poisoned and genetically modified franken-food.

Small farms with sensible, organic, sustainable practices produce the best meat.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
I know the government has been pushing to have all meat radiated. Maybe this is just a cover story to push for the implementation of radiated food. Fear tactics can change minds. Just a thought.

With the Japanese fallout, the government won't need to spend any money on the project because it will be radiated on the hoof.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by exo87
reply to post by kaleshchand

Umm basic maths 101..... 1 in 4 is 25%

2nd...

Uh year sorry about that, should me 25%. Note to self, never post breaking news late at night.

If a mod could edit the OP to 25% much appreciated.
edit on 4/16/2011 by kaleshchand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Once the world if full of antibiotic resistant super bacteria, the only organisms that will be left will be the few that have a super resistance themselves to the super bacteria.

We all know that cockroaches will survive, and maybe ants, but will a horse, a dog, or a human be amongst them??

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be interesting to see where the found the bacteria? Was it on the surface of the meat eg. contamination, or was it within the actual tissue? Of course the article doesn't mention it so they are either scaremongering or being sloppy in their reporting. Either way, less hormones and drugs in my food is always good. But after reading about how restaurants sell meat glued together as prime cuts, nothing surprises me anymore. Read more: au.todaytonight.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Could be from slaughterhouse sanitation practices.

We'd first wash everything down with water then pull this piece of equipment out that sprayed a foam on everything to sanitize it. Then hose that down. Then use bleach on all work surfaces.

Any bacteria that evolved to survive that would contact the food.

Once I used the sprayfoam AND bleach together...the fumes were horendous and little leach worms started crawling out of the cracks in the WALLS/tile grout spaces.

Over time somethings bound to evolve in that environment.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Right on. I think you have it down pat.

Nothing is going to be perfect in this world where evolution and adaptation can happen very quickly; especially in the realm of micro-organisms. I think that is where modern science misses the mark.

For the many thousands of years that human beings have been on this earth we managed to survive without anti-biotics, or sterilization. What we did was learn to live in harmony with nature; and that meant utilizing the tools nature made available -- such as healthy bacteria and yeasts.

Our foods were "preserved" by drying, salting, and fermenting. Milk turned into yoghurt or cheese lasts longer than fresh. The healthy bacteria help fight off the unhealthy ones -- read up about Kefir.

Now we take the blunt approach of trying to kill of everything and end up with super bugs. Once again, it is the large chemical companies that have brainwashed the public into thinking these things are necessary just so they (the companies) can make a buck.

What they and we are doing is destroying our world as we've known it for thousands of years in the process.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Do I see this as one more way to raise the prices and garner more fear in general? It is spoken of as if it is the animals who have this illness, but it is the unsanitary conditions at the rendering plants and slaughter practices that need to be looked at and punished not the consumer...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

You're so right! I should find and post an article about a woman in Germany, who was a huge McDonalds fan. She died and after several years they had to exhumate her body. She looked as she was alive lol No changes. No need for embalming.

new topics

top topics

join