It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Printing Objects as Software:The Coming Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

this is a public talk with zach hoeken and the future of digital fabrication.
and how his machine can replicate its self...and and how in the future everyone will own a 3D printer,and we will download our objects..or upload our objects to build on our 3D printers.

zach hoeken

makerbot

The MakerBot Thing-O-Matic 3D printer is a breakthrough in 3D printing technology. We've named it the Thing-O-Matic because it is an automatic 3D printer. All other 3D printers can only do one thing at a time while the MakerBot Thing-O-Matic 3D printer prints thing after thing! Buy it, assemble it, and enjoy being the first on your block to live in the cutting-edge personal manufacturing future of tomorrow!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84b0926ae8fe.jpg[/atsimg]
Why I LOVE My 3D Printer

shredder/recycling 3D printer

reprapdelft

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The idea that a house can be created in this way blows my mind...in a good way. I am a big fan of this technology and cant wait to see it implemented on a large scale.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
When I was a child I read a sci-fi novel, where in our future we have 3-d printers. Every neighborhood had a personal shanty where these products were manufactured and sold. Thing was, the objects disintegrated within weeks. Then someone came in and invented a printer that the items it created existed indefinitely under any kind of abuse. 20 years later, all we have are these objects, and since the objects are indestructible, the old ones just lay around everywhere. It gets to the point where we use all our resources trying to store obsolete objects, we cant build anything new anymore. I doubt if this invention would truly benefit humanity if used in the commercial sector. Educational products, yes. Innocuous little trinkets, no. I just cant fathom a positive future for us if we were to use this printer, like we do everything else. The obsolescence cycle for tech is like 2 weeks, and it's speed grows exponentially every passing year.
edit on 15-4-2011 by MyPathManifests because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When a sister told me about this she heard it on the radio i couldn't believe her but after seeing the videos it's unreal! I would love one of these, imagine the progress that could be made, something on your xbox/tv breaks instead of paying ridicules amounts of money to get it fixed just download the design and print the badboy love it! I'd invest in this

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
the thing i love about this new machine they are working on,is the fact,you can recycle your plastic stuff with it...so nothing goes to waste..as when a certain item has served its use..put it in the machine for shredding..and ready to use for another item or product you need...

the bit in the last video were the designer talks about for instance ..if your child grows out of her sandels then put them back through the machine,but a inch bigger....

the use's are mind boggling....and the faster this is made mainstream the better.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This technology is so 1990's! It is called FDM, or Filament Deposition Modeling, and has been used in rapid prototyping for over 2 decades. Stratsys is one of the biggest manufactures of 3D printers. The models are not very durable and cannot hold tolerances too much greater than one could achieve with simple hand tools. I sold this equipment for over a decade and had several demo machines in my office so I am incredibly familiar with it. This will NEVER be a single source of product.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread.. this is great tech that will truly revolutionize our lives.. but it is just part of a larger trend.. this is just one of the technolgies that will force us to totally change our way of life in ways most people don't realize. what happens in a world where we all have free energy from tech like cold fusion.. and the ability to amke all the things we need ourselves. How can our currrent economic model continue in this kind of future.. what are people going to do for work? Abd e wonder why the government and military supresses these kinds of tech. Where does the military get the money to "defend" all of us of our economic system is no longer valid and they have no way of making money?

The only thing I can envision is a way of living in which we all have a self contained existence where we live off the land so to speak.. bt with our new technogical tools.... either that or controls are going to have to be put in place.. if you really consider the implications it's mind boggling.. just take cold fusuion.. with cold fusion and or zzero point energy you can transmute materials.. you have free energy in which to make gold or other valuable materials... what happens to our economic system if gold is worthless?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
This technology is so 1990's! It is called FDM, or Filament Deposition Modeling, and has been used in rapid prototyping for over 2 decades. Stratsys is one of the biggest manufactures of 3D printers. The models are not very durable and cannot hold tolerances too much greater than one could achieve with simple hand tools. I sold this equipment for over a decade and had several demo machines in my office so I am incredibly familiar with it. This will NEVER be a single source of product.

Combine this with cold fusion tech where you can make new materials and deposit them on a minute scale..the sky is the limit.. The capabilities and tolerances will likely evolve rapidly like Moore's law with computer chips.

top topics

join