It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific falsehoods in the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just to make a quick reference for people, this is a quick list of some of the brilliant scientific "facts" (read blatant flasehoods) found in the Bible. Feel free to ask for explanations.

Plants existed before the Sun and Moon (Genesis 1:11-16)

The Earth is created before the Sun (Genesis 1)
...actually, to just shorten this: The order of events in Genesis 1 is wrong

The Sun and Moon are set in a physical firmament above the Earth (Genesis 1:16-17)

The Moon is a/produces light (Genesis 1:16, Isaiah 13:10)

Global flood (Genesis..mentioned several other times in later books)

Humanity at a time of civilization which would have enabled large scale construction projects shared a single language (Genesis 11)

Diverse language happened instantly rather than gradually (Genesis 11)

The Hebrew population in Egypt somehow goes from dozens to millions in a few hundred years. (Exodus)

Hares and coneys are ruminants (Leviticus 11:5-6)

God's cure for lepers (Leviticus 14:2-52)

Snakebites are cured by a brass serpent on a pole (Numbers 21:8)

Giants (way too many passages Numbers, Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Amos)

Dragons (Deuteronomy 32:33, Psalms 148:7)

The Sun apparently moves and can be made to stand still so that people can sneak attack others at night (Joshua 10:12-13)

The Earth has pillars...I guess instead of being hung it's placed.(1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6,26:11,38:4-6...actually, a lot of places)

Pi = 3(1 Kings 7:23, 2 Chronicles 4:2)

Either the Earth stopped rotating and moved backward a bit or the Sun moved backward on its own...well, we know what the Bible says about the relationship between the two. (2 Kings 20:11)

The Earth doesn't move.(1 Chronicles 16:30, Job 38:4-6, Psalms 93:1, 96:10...and a lot of other places where it mentions that the Earth is set on foundations)

People think in their heart (Esther 6:6, Isaiah 10:7)

Ostriches are apparently entirely inattentive parents (Job 39:13-16)

The Sun moves around the Earth (Psalms 19:4-6)

Snails melt (Psalms 58:8)

The Earth has four corners (Isaiah 11:12, Ezekial 7:2)

Lots of fantastical creatures used to exist including satyrs, cockatrices, fiery flying serpents, etc (Isaiah)

The Earth is definitively flat (Daniel 4:10-11, 20)

The stars are tiny objects that can fall out of the sky and be stomped upon (Daniel 8:10)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Fantastic! Sadly you do realize what is about to happen right? They'll come in and tell you, oh well the examples you cited aren't meant to be taken literally. See, because we aren't believers, we don't know which passages are literal, and which are figurative. We don't know the special code that always makes the bible right.

anyways, are you expecting us to believe the earth orbits the sun because NASA said so? Because we can test this and have? BLASPHEMER

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Cool , great summary.
but i have to make a few extra points..

We all know theres no pillars on the earth, they are all buried in the moon.. and besides we all know that the worlds is sitting on a turtle on a turtle on a turtle etc..
The world was flat, before we decided it wasn't..
The earth did have four corners , until the giants cut them off for us and fed them to the dragons.
And we all know that we feel with our hearts and thinking should be left to politicians..

But thats just my ideas, now let me get back on my Pegasus and head back to the land of oz..

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
First off yes there seems to many inconsistencies with our modern day science. But remember, the scriptures are not written to be 100% literal, only those who have the gift of the Set-Apart Spirit given to us from the Father Yahuwah, can actually understand its meaning. Sort of like, can a computer technician really explain everything about how the computer is built and how it functions, or can the Manufacturer or Designer really explain it to you.

Remember the scriptures cannot be explained entirely by human brains made of water, neuron pathways, salt, nerves, etc which we don't entirely understand how they function either. Only the Father Yahuwah can explain, the Designer of everything, why it works and how it works. Humans know less than 1% of the total understanding of the universe. Think about it were not eternal, how can we explain the eternal? We arent all knowing, so how can we explain everything?

I recommend you watch some videos by Kent Hovind on his theories of the Earth, or Ken Ham. It will help to clear up some things.
edit on 14-4-2011 by kove400 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kove400
First off yes there seems to many inconsistencies with our modern day science. But remember, the scriptures are not written to be 100% literal

Brilliant

Can we pick and choose..
They didn't -literally- mean he resurrected...they didn't -literally- mean adam and eve...they didn't -literally- mean god as in deity..

nothing like a slippery slope....incidently, did God put an asterik beside the stuff we didn't have to take literally? like the homosexual thing, or shellfish, or commandments...

thanks for clearing that up...now religion makes total sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

What's the point of this?

Is it for the people who take the Bible to be literal truth? You suppose that they will change their mind after hearing what you have to say?

Almost no one takes the Bible literally anymore. . . and if they've gotten to the point that they are using the internet and still think the Earth is five thousand years old and all life was saved by a 600 year old drunk who built a ship and put 2 of every creature on board. . . they're not going to read this and say, "oh, well then, I guess I've been mistaken..."

Isn't it just to be a troll?

I don't think the Bible is an accurate historical document, I don't even believe in God. I think it's just as irrational to troll for religious people that you can provoke on the internet as it is to take unproven sacred texts as literal historical records.

I hope you really answer my question, though - what is the point of this thread?
edit on 4/14/11 by OnceReturned because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Only the Father Yahuwah can explain, the Designer of everything, why it works and how it works.

Wait, you didn't take that part literally, did you? heh...come on man...designer of everything? Did he design cancer? did he design evil? did he design Satan? Viruses? Chainsaws? Hot Pockets?

let me guess...take literally only what you find to be a good selling point, the stuff you don't like is not literal...

I don't take the bible itself literally, from cover to cover...to me, its a bunch of cavemen trying to explain superstition and experiences well beyond their comprehension in intellectually dumbed down ways.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Sort of like, can a computer technician really explain everything about how the computer is built and how it functions, or can the Manufacturer or Designer really explain it to you.

Umm, I'm a computer 'technician' and yes I can. Where would you like me to start?

There's one thing that boggles my mind the most about religions. If 'God' created the Universe, why did he/she create it to be so vast that we cannot see very much of it at all? I mean its only in the last few decades that we have created the technology (through SCIENCE) to be able to see more than just the smattering of stars we do. What's the point of it all? What is the point of the Quasar pulsating 7 Billion light-years away? What is the point of having so many stars and galaxies that they outnumber the atoms that make up our solar system?

For anyone who is confused, the total number of stars estimated in the known Universe is somewhere between 10/26 to 10/100 - thats the number 10 with 100 zeros after it.....looks something like this:

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Whats the point?

PS - please dont tell me we aren't supposed to take this 'literally', that is a cop out.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

LOL what the point?

WHATS THE POINT??!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, Why not allow the stupidest people we have on ats to have their own little special jesus corner where all the sharp edges are dull and everyone gets a cup of pills every few hours to keep them from being sad. When a religion has its own political party.... you must kill it with fire.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

"Just to make a quick reference for people, this is a quick list of some of the brilliant scientific "facts" (read blatant flasehoods) found in the Bible. Feel free to ask for explanations."

this is the point of this thread, as stated by the OP, in said thread. He thinks that there are things in the bible which don't jive with modern science and he wanted to present a quick list of a few of his discrepancies. I don't believe that he is attempting to turn believers into scientists or once and for all prove the bible wrong and I think that he is more than smart enough to realize that that is impossible. So, let's turn the question around on you; what was the point of your reply? You actually supported the OP's points, but then told him that it's stupid to talk about his opinions? which you seem to share?! so... who is trolling? being deliberately inflammatory? and who is merely attempting to present and interesting topic for discussion?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I find it interesting that you neglected to address any of my points in the original thread, especially about the very scientific heartmath stuff but you felt it necessary to start a new thread on these points.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As I state below, I am not a Christian and have no desire to argue for the rightness of the Bible.

So the funny thing about this list is that you are using a literal interpretation of the Bible to argue against someone else's literal interpretation of the bible. Understand also that I am not a Christian arguing for the “rightness” of the Bible. I have no investment in proving the Bible accurate but I call them like I see them

Plants existed before the Sun and Moon (Genesis 1:11-16)
The Earth is created before the Sun (Genesis 1)
The Sun and Moon are set in a physical firmament above the Earth (Genesis 1:16-17)

See my images earlier in the thread regarding a sacred geometry interpretation of Genesis. When understood as a metaphorical description of that process it makes a lot more sense. Please go through those images where I specifically address the seed and fruit issue. Likewise heavens and earth are meant to represent the divisions, not necessarily literal earth. All of the above verses are understood through sacred geometry and not to be taken in a literal sense.

The Moon is a/produces light (Genesis 1:16, Isaiah 13:10)

Actually what was said was a greater light to rule the day and a lesser light to rule the night. It doesn't matter that the moon is reflective, it is still a lesser light. And Isaiah says “The sun will be darkened ...and the moon will not cause it's light to shine,” which would of course happen if the sun were darkened. Show me a child alive today, who prior to learning that the Moon is a reflector does not believe that the moon produces it's own light.

Global flood (Genesis..mentioned several other times in later books)

Native global flood stories are documented as history or legend in almost every region on earth. Old world missionaries reported their amazement at finding remote tribes already possessing legends with tremendous similarities to the Bible's accounts of the worldwide flood. H.S. Bellamy in Moons, Myths and Men estimates that altogether there are over 500 Flood legends worldwide. Ancient civilizations such as (China, Babylonia, Wales, Russia, India, America, Hawaii, Scandinavia, Sumatra, Peru, and Polynesia) all have their own versions of a giant flood.
These flood tales are frequently linked by common elements that parallel the Biblical account including the warning of the coming flood, the construction of a boat in advance, the storage of animals, the inclusion of family, and the release of birds to determine if the water level had subsided. The overwhelming consistency among flood legends found in distant parts of the globe indicates they were derived from the same origin (the Bible's record), but oral transcription has changed the details through time.
Perhaps the second most important historical account of a global flood can be found in a Babylonian flood story in the Epic of Gilgamesh. When the Biblical and Babylonian accounts are compared, a number of outstanding similarities are found that leave no doubt these stories are rooted in the same event or oral tradition.

It is generally accepted that the Gilgamesh story was the prototype for the Biblical flood story. While this site states that the Bible was the origin for these flood stories, which I don't agree with, it is obvious that cultures around the world had a similar experience.

From the web page Flood legends around the world

www.nwcreation.net...

Humanity at a time of civilization which would have enabled large scale construction projects shared a single language (Genesis 11) Diverse language happened instantly rather than gradually (Genesis 11)

This thread has an interesting take on things. It is not the first time that I have heard about this in relation to telepathy and ET intervention.

The Hebrew population in Egypt somehow goes from dozens to millions in a few hundred years. (Exodus)
Hares and coneys are ruminants (Leviticus 11:5-6)
Ostriches are apparently entirely inattentive parents (Job 39:13-16)

No arguments and no desire to contend this information.

God's cure for lepers (Leviticus 14:2-52)

Sounds a little loopy but no different than some alchemical practices, which have been found to be sound.

Snakebites are cured by a brass serpent on a pole (Numbers 21:8)

Not just snakes but “fiery serpents.” Here is where I slip into my own suppositions but I have long contended that some of this kind of thing, along with the Nefilim, Elohim, and Son's of God marrying the daughters of men stuff was really about a time when ET's walked openly on the earth and were venerated as Gods. Perhaps the fiery serpents were among these and the brass serpent on a pole was advanced tech, much like the Pyramids are thought to be (as opposed to burial chambers.)

Giants (way too many passages Numbers, Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Amos)
Dragons (Deuteronomy 32:33, Psalms 148:7)
Lots of fantastical creatures used to exist including satyrs, cockatrices, fiery flying serpents, etc (Isaiah)

There have been skeletons of giants found at archaeological digs (though in this age of photoshop...) There have been artistic representations of giants found. See my comments above about Ets

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

The Sun apparently moves and can be made to stand still so that people can sneak attack others at night (Joshua 10:12-13)
Either the Earth stopped rotating and moved backward a bit or the Sun moved backward on its own...well, we know what the Bible says about the relationship between the two. (2 Kings 20:11)

This was also preceded by hailstones. Perhaps the attacks were timed at this point rather than being made to happen for the attack. Like the flood stories, many cultures around the world have stories of the sun standing still, which is precisely what would happen during a pole shift. There are also cultural legends of a point in antiquity when the sun rose in the west and set in the east. Which would be the same phenomenon. Graham Hancock talks about this in several of his books as well

Sahagun -
The Spanish savant who came to America a generation Columbus and gathered the traditions of the natives, wrote that at the time of one cosmic catastrophe the sun rose only a little way over the horizon and remained there without moving: the moon also stood still. (22).

The Andeans record a myth-story that the sun stayed away for twenty hours. This event is said to have occurred under the reign of Yupanqui Pachacuti II, the fifteenth ruler of the old time.

In the Mexican 'Annals of Cuauhtitlan' or 'Codex Chimpalpopoca' - the history of the empire in Culhuacan and Mexico, written in Nahua-Indian in the sixteenth century - it is related that during a cosmic catastrophe that occurred in the remote past, the night did not end for an extended period of time. (22).

And from Asia - The canons of the Chinese emperor. (2,400 BC ?) - 'In the lifetime of Yao, the sun did not set for ten full days and the entire land was flooded (by an immense wave), that reached the sky'. 

It is important to recognise that all these stories were recorded from different locations on earth. On one side of the Earth people record that the Sun stayed in the sky, while on the other side, the stores are that the Sun stayed away.

The Earth has pillars...I guess instead of being hung it's placed.(1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6,26:11,38:4-6...actually, a lot of places)

The Earth doesn't move.(1 Chronicles 16:30, Job 38:4-6, Psalms 93:1, 96:10...and a lot of other places where it mentions that the Earth is set on foundations)

Again, like the sacred geometry think in terms of esoteric metaphor

People think in their heart (Esther 6:6, Isaiah 10:7)

Heart–Brain Interactions:
The heart and brain maintain a continuous two-way dialogue, each influencing the other's functioning. The signals the heart sends to the brain can influence perception, emotional processing and higher cognitive functions. This system and circuitry is viewed by neurocardiology researchers as a "heart brain."

www.heartmath.com...

Their studies using HeartMath techniques and technology have been published in many peer reviewed journals including; The American Journal of Cardiology, Harvard Business Review and Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Additional studies are currently taking place in many institutions such as Mayo Clinic, Arizona State University, University of Northampton, Northampton, England and VA Palo Alto Health Care System.

Heartmath's research, published in many peer reviewed journals with studies going on at ASU and Mayo Clinic has found that we do “think with our heart” It could also be a metaphorical for being guided by our emotions.

Here's another quote on it:

With his revolutionary research the University of Montreal’s pioneer neurocardiologist Dr. J. Andrew Armour first introduced the concept of a functional heart brain in the 1990’s. This brain in the heart – just as the brain in the digestive tract – may also act independently of the brain in the head. The size of this brain, according to Boulder Creek, California’s Institute of HeartMath, is as great as a number of the principle areas of the brain in the head. Studies discussed in Brain and Values,  have shown that the consistency of the rhythm found in the heart brain is capable of changing – sometimes in spectacular fashion - how effectively the thinking brain functions. In theory that means that what occurs on a feeling level, has the capacity to deeply influence what occurs on a thinking level.

The Earth has four corners (Isaiah 11:12, Ezekial 7:2)

This is a reference to the Law of 4: North, South, East, West; Air, Water, Earth, Fire, etc.

Snails melt (Psalms 58:8)

It says the snail melts away as it goes. In reality, the snail and slug leave a trail of slime in its wake, which could be taken to mean the snail is “melting away as it goes”

The Earth is definitively flat (Daniel 4:10-11, 20)

Firstly he is describing a vision. Secondly, it does not say the earth is flat, it says there is a tree that grew that could be seen by all. This also could be understood metaphorically or esoterically

The stars are tiny objects that can fall out of the sky and be stomped upon (Daniel 8:10)

Perhaps meteorites?

The Sun moves around the Earth (Psalms 19:4-6)

This is just a description of the sun going from one side of the horizon to the other, which it appears to do to one standing on the ground.
edit on 14-4-2011 by coyotepoet because: fixed links

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I only posted in this thread to say this:

Atheists or believers always have on thing in common, arguments.

Why does anyone still try to prove a point from either side still?
Don't we have better things to worry about?
This country is drowning in debt and you're worried about Bible 'falsehoods'?

Its not the atheists that make me sick, its what seems to be instigators.
Looking for an argument...

Dang you guys, put it to rest.
Especially you posters with experience.
Find something productive to contribute to.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
While i believe in the over aching power of an Omnipotent force i don't believe that the bible is the only true word of god.
If we take just a few parts of it as literal, like the fact the god is the creator and the fact that we are all children of god, then the only conclusion i can really see as right" is that all paths lead to god..
How can so many different religions all be wrong?, just as science isn't wrong..
I recently read an article that many of us put our faith into science, this might sound like its wrong as we know science.. but how many of us really understand science at its most basic levels, explain string theory to me or even quantum loop gravity oh and while your at it what shape is the universe... so we put faith into the knowledge that is presented to us.
Exactly like the bible, the bible may be the word of god, but it was transcribed by men, the same men of water previously described, so there will be errors, just as the way we perceive the universe is full of errors. as we are fully aware of, theory's cant be proven in science, only supported or disproved..
We may never fully understand this world and its place in the universe.
The bible and other religions were designed to be tools, with one or two reasons, to either control the masses, or to bring the masses into a new world view a higher social responsibility (yes the new world order is another such tool)
There is no right or wrong, there is just a time and place for everything. somethings outlast there time, others never make it in time.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Name 1 thing in the entire old testement which gods hand wrote besides the 10 commandments.

Just as you struggle with reason and comprehension so too were those who transcribed and TRANSLATED the word of GOD guilty.

Also Id like to state that the story of creation tells of how we were banished from the garden of Eden. Jesus said something as well, When asked how will we find the kingdom of heaven? His reply was that he was the light and the way, and that no man can enter the kingdom of heaven except through him. And also said that even when man can count every star in the universe and name them, even when we can travel to and from these stars we will never find it.

This tells me several things, The first of which is that Gods kingdom is not a part of the dimension we currently exist in. And because it was said that man will one day know the entire universe and be able to transverse it, that just like heaven the garden of eden did not exist in this dimension either. So creation was most likely kickstarted in this other dimension as well. So if this is true all the things before original sin cannot be held subject to the laws and rules of this dimension.

Now for the four corners of the Earth I give you North South East West. Hmm wait a min that just made total sense.

I just want you to see how you have not succeeded in crushing the word of God, and have given you an example of the truths and mystery contained within. And how your scientific analysis is jaded by a lack of real study.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
There is this girl. She is amazing, beautiful, nice, the whole nine yards. And we had this thing which got pretty serious. I would do anything for her because she is perfect. The rub is that she is super christian. Now I went to catholic grade school, high school, went to church, still go to church, ect. but i just never really looked into it all enough to form an opinion. So pretty much this girl said, "if you are christian, we will get married." Trust me, i love this girl. So I started going to bible study with her, started reading the bible on my own, because at the end of the day the bible is the only, i repeat the only "proof" of god. So i would read it and when i came across something i didnt understand or a question about its legitimacy I would write it down in a notebook and later ask the bible study instructor. Well it soon became apparent that he never himself asked himself these tough questions, so I went online, and it seemed apparent that no christians legitimately ask themselves these tough questions and if they do they are simply answering them without regard for the truth.

Moral of the story, the girl I loved, the most perfect girl in the world, said if you can believe in the bible (because if I did believe the bible was true I would have no problem being a super christian) we will get married, which is what i really wanted. And because I am true to myself, I couldnt do it.

My opinion is that the Bible might have some truth to it. But it is in no way the word of god. If you cant recognize that so much of it was primitive mans way of explaining the crazy, natural, ways of the world/life then you really need to look yourself in the mirror.

I am on a quest for the truth, and while I understand I am but a human and will probably never understand the "truth" I would much rather be honest with myself than believe in something that is blatantly not true.

Imagine putting yourself in ancient mans shoes, not knowing what caused a flood, or an earthquake, or thunderstorm. That would scare the sh$t out of me and I am pretty sure I would explain something like that as being the direct influence of God.

Next, I am a young adult. Pretty much my entire adult life the internet has been by my side, thank god. But even my parents when they were younger (thats one generation ago) didnt have the internet. So for their information they relied on what their teachers/piers said, books, and tv. Do you kinda understand how much easier it was to spread religious propaganda without the internet?

Lastly, there is a god. I am a smart man and have thought long and hard. And somewhere there has to be something intelligent. But is it bible god..absolutely not.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

"Just to make a quick reference for people, this is a quick list of some of the brilliant scientific "facts" (read blatant flasehoods) found in the Bible. Feel free to ask for explanations."

I'm asking for an explanation. There's nothing new or surprising here. It's just a collection of ideas from the bible that are contradicted by modern science, presented in a sarcastic and confrontational way. There's literally no one who will read this that isn't aware of the discrepency between the bible and science. Given the incompatable beliefs, people have already formed their opinions. So, what's the point of trying to confront those who disagree with you with a set of facts that are similar or identical to what they have heard before and who have already decided to disagree with? Do you suppose that there is a critical number of times that they could hear the same sort of thing, and then be convinced, and that maybe this will be that time?

It's clear to me that this is just a medium for aethists to stroke each other over how silly religious beliefs seem. You'll pat eachother on the back, and you'll get a couple of hardcore uneducated Christians who argue with you. You will make belligerent but ultimately ineffective (to them) arguments against what they have to say, and you will love it.

This isn't anything scientific or some noble pursuit of truth. You must realize this at some level.

this is the point of this thread, as stated by the OP, in said thread. He thinks that there are things in the bible which don't jive with modern science and he wanted to present a quick list of a few of his discrepancies.

Oh, is that what he thinks? What a revelation. He's probably the first person to point that out. I'm so glad he did. Now I can be sure that I'm right and the believers are wrong. Doesn't that feel nice?

I don't believe that he is attempting to turn believers into scientists or once and for all prove the bible wrong and I think that he is more than smart enough to realize that that is impossible.

So, what? The OP is intended to serve as a reminder that the Bible doesn't "jive with modern science?" That sounds reasonable, since there are probably some people who forgot...

So, let's turn the question around on you; what was the point of your reply? You actually supported the OP's points, but then told him that it's stupid to talk about his opinions? which you seem to share?! so... who is trolling? being deliberately inflammatory? and who is merely attempting to present and interesting topic for discussion?

My point is to call this guy out for being just as irrational for making this thread as the people he is so clearly trying to discredit. I share his beliefs when it comes to scientific facts, but I don't share his belief that there is value in waving those facts in the face of religious people who have heard it all before as though to say, "See? You're all so rediculous for thinking what you think! Right guys?" (You being one of the guys who then responds, "Right! And you're awesome for givin' it to 'em straight!").

The thread is deliberately inflammatory. Given that, I think the right thing to do is point out what kind of thinking goes into belittling the small percentage of the population who take the Bible literally. Attacking a small and obviously irrational goup is pointless and belligerent. I'd rather give everyone who does that a hard time than bask in the shared victory of rationality over a handful of people who didn't go to college and still think that the first woman was made from the rib of the first man.

If you really think that this is about "merely attempting to present an interesting topic for discussion," you should make sure you don't read the Bible... You might actually fall for it. Are you really interested in the list of facts? Would you be participating in this thread if those facts were presented outside of the context of their disagreement with the Bible? Of course you wouldn't. The whole thing is about entering into an argument in which you know that you're right, against people who are hopelessly misguided, which you are a lesser man for doing.

Or will you argue some other objective? Perhaps it's really interesting to you to hear about how plants didn't exist before the sun and the moon? Or to be reminded that the moon doesn't really produce light? What's your favorite fact on this list? I'll bet it's the one about dragons.

Don't you see that this thread only exists as a pretext for an argument that is pointless and rediculous?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

LOL what the point?

WHATS THE POINT??!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, Why not allow the stupidest people we have on ats to have their own little special jesus corner where all the sharp edges are dull and everyone gets a cup of pills every few hours to keep them from being sad. When a religion has its own political party.... you must kill it with fire.

And this is definitely the way to impose rationality on them...

If it didn't convince them the first several hundred time they heard that the bible and science are in disagreement, why do you think that this time will be any different?

It's not up to you to "allow" people to hold their beliefs.
edit on 4/14/11 by OnceReturned because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by soldita

Lastly, there is a god. I am a smart man and have thought long and hard. And somewhere there has to be something intelligent. But is it bible god..absolutely not.

I agree, but that also doesn't mean the Bible is full of mistruths, just misunderstandings.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh well with all this talk of religion im just glad that im one of the others, my place was before and after the original sin, i wasn't part of it, i look past the god of eden to the god of everything..

"Cain left the presence of Yahweh and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden. We can assume that the phrase "left the presence of Yahweh" implies that Yahweh is a local deity, and not omnipresent"
"Cain settled among the people of Nod, and married one of the women of that country. Here, for the first time, is specifically mentioned the "other people" who are not of the lineage of Adam and Eve. i.e: the Pagans."
"For Yahweh, as he so clearly emphasizes, is not the god of the Pagans. We have our own lineage and our own heritage, and our tale is not told in the Bible. We were not "made" like clay figurines by a male deity out of "dust from the soil." We were born of our Mother the Earth"

this article sums up alot of things for me,

www.paganlibrary.com...

follow your own paths guys just dont get lost on the way...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join