It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant whirlpools in Atlantic Ocean puzzle scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

US scientists discovered two giant whirlpools in the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Guyana and Suriname. It became a sensational discovery because this part of the ocean has been studied thoroughly, and no one expected anything like that to appear in the area. More importantly, no one can understand where the whirlpools came from and what surprises they may bring to people.

According to Brazilian scientist Guilherme Castellane, the two funnels are approximately 400 kilometers in diameter. Until now, these were not known on Earth. The funnels reportedly exert a strong influence on climate changes that have been registered during the recent years.

Has anyone heard about this? I know about the whirlpools that were in Australia that supposedly dropped the water levels. Now there are more popping up? Does this give credence to the hollow earth theory? Or just plates shifting creating large pockets of space for water to drain? It seems like w/ everyday that passes, there's something new hitting the headlines that just blows my mind.

www.jungleapocalypse.com...
edit on 12-4-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Man, I so wish I could witness a huge whirlpool( from above of course )! One of mother natures crazy creations. Kinda like the platypus. No one gets it. Oooohhh man. Yeah anyway, cool find s+f.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
All I can think of is what happens when a bathtub is full and you remove the drain stopper,

Maybe I'm simplifying Mother Nature too much, but it just seems that this phenomenon has to be caused by holes/cracks in the seabed from tectonic activity.

S+F for not being sucked into the stupid ATS game that is taking place right now...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

I know about the whirlpools that were in Australia that supposedly dropped the water levels.

If this is a real accurance, then where would the water go?
It has to go some where?
It would be my guess that would be alot of water, huh?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So thats where my ship went to

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on 13-4-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

I guess that would depend on what is really in the center of the earth(if it's draining that far). If the water is in fact draining to the center then wouldn't it evaporate into steam? Considering our center is supposed to be molten, and would that steam in turn create pressure causing earthquakes/volcanoes? I'm not an expert by any means so I have no clue, but the water DOES have to go somewhere..

And here is a link to the Australia whirpools that dropped ocean levels..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Humm... if it is going to the center of the earth and if the centers just that core thats really hot full of what ever... and as the water falls down there wouldnt the water cool what evers down there and cause eq's?

Im not a scientist so beats me

edit on 12-4-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: add

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Unfortunately Pravda has cried wolf so many times it's hard to believe them about anything anymore. If it's true - it's sensational but I have my doubts. Mostly because a) It's Pravda b) They say US scientists discovered them, then explain it all from the point of view of a Brazilian???

Oz

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

I guess it would depend on the water/core ratio. I would doubt if the core is big enough, that the water would even get close enough to "put it out". Pretty sure it would evaporate before it even gets close. But yea I'm in the same boat, I'm nowhere near an expert in the field.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I dont think the water is draining...its probably a huge tsal whielpool cause by the bottom being irregular and a massive tide change taking plce...
Nerly caught up in one myself one day.....scarey as hell.....

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozscot
Unfortunately Pravda has cried wolf so many times it's hard to believe them about anything anymore. If it's true - it's sensational but I have my doubts. Mostly because a) It's Pravda b) They say US scientists discovered them, then explain it all from the point of view of a Brazilian???

Oz

Agreed. However, it's all over the internet lol (not that that makes it true)

www.google.com...=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Giant+whirlpools+in+Atlantic+Ocean+puzzle+scientists&cp=52&qe=R2lhbnQgd2hpcmxwb29scyBpbiBBdGxhbnRpY yBPY2VhbiBwdXp6bGUgc2NpZW50aXN0cw&qesig=GAC0LmpLp3ilGKo2YLJdRQ&pkc=AFgZ2tnU7t1EAqTkg7SnwxLFJiQiNoVJiAuf_MgtrE_S_CBO1hQKLrBJ130sK-OGY7Di6_g8jkbwJX2PMZ8 9DYXVKPL2qQPbSw&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=Giant+whirlpools+in+Atlantic+Ocean+puzzle+scientists&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&f p=c875dd2b8adea15a

EDIT: Blah, link fail. Just google search "Giant whirlpools in Atlantic Ocean puzzle scientists"

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Does this give credence to the hollow earth theory?
Not unless the ocean level starts going down as the water drains into the hollow part of the Earth. That isn't going to happen.

It says scientists don't understand it but it sounds like they have a good guess:

However, such movement of water may not always depend on the difference of temperatures of the water column. The difference in salinity can also be a reason. The mechanism here is the same. The density of saltier water is higher, this water is heavier and it moves closer to the bottom, pushing less saltier water up. This type of vertical fusion occurs frequently in the tropics because high temperatures lead to the evaporation of water from the surface. The salt does not evaporate with water, though. It stays in the ocean, which raises the level of salinity on the upper layer of water. This layer “drowns” and gives way to less saltier waters of the depth.

Such vertical movements of water create giant whirlpools. The whirlpools, tens and even hundreds of kilometers in diameter, may last for months and even years, scientists say. The vertical movement of waters is a slow process, though. Why do those whirlpools exist for such a long time? This is partially the effect of Earth’s magnetic field. In addition, marine water contains many charged ions, Na and Cl for example. To crown it all, water molecules are dipoles that are charged both positively and negatively....

It is not ruled out that the reason for the appearance of the whirlpools off the coast of South America is the same as in other parts of the World Ocean.
So that could be the reason, they just aren't sure. Temperature differential could also explain it and that's what drives tornadoes that form in air, so that would be another possibility.

They are both slightly in the Northern hemisphere though close to the equator, but the direction does match that of the Coriolis effect but it's only a small effect so it's more likely to be one of the other explanations in the story:
en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21bc1ec3ea1a.png[/atsimg]

The Coriolis effect is so small that it typically doesn't even affect which direction the water forms a vortex when going down the drain in a sink for example, although that's a popular myth. You'd only see it in a rather large, still tank, much larger than any sink. The ocean is large enough, but probably not still enough. I think there are too many currents to make that effect a likely source.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Cool thanks for the info. I was also leaning towards different water temps colliding and causing this, as said w/ tornadoes. 400 kilometers is massive though. I hope more pictures and even videos will surface later.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this seems to be a hoax. Compare the Japan Tsunami whirlpool at about 40 seconds into the video, with the photo attached to the story. The timing alone seems to give caution, and apparently this news source has been known in the past to hoax material.

edit on 12-4-2011 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The research into these whirlpools is being done according to the article by Bill Jones of the University of Miami - I just searched their staff and faculty register. There is no Bill Jones at the University of Miami - there is an annual William R Jones award but he's long gone and had nothing to do with earth sciences.

Oz

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

It very well could be, but as I said to a previous poster this info is spreading like wildfire. Do a simple google search of the thread title and you'll get endless pages. I'm all for it being debunked if it is in fact a hoax. Gonna need a little more evidence than that though.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozscot

Now we're talking. That's the kind of info I wanna see in terms of it being bunk. I look forward to hearing more info about this.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Assuming this is even real, which is unlikely, there does not have to be a hole to cause a whirlpool. In other words for your hollow earth people, this doesn't lend any evidence whatsoever to your theory.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

As the guy that posts these stories, would you mind pointing me towards the apparent "hoax" I pulled? This story is from Pravada.ru and the link is at the bottom of the story. And as I always say...

"My method is to post anything I find of interest, not what I believe to be true. I'm not here to be some sort of web dictator to say what is true, what should be on the web, or what should be shot down the memory hole."

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

That is really cool. All doom and gloom a side that is awesome......Back to the D&G.. Didn't a whirlpool show up of the coast of Japan after the Big one? Has there ever been any evdence of whirlpools before a quake? I'm gonna check that out.

Link
edit on 12-4-2011 by highfreq because: Link

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join