It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Environmental showdown - Nortel Networks fights provincial order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hoping this is the best forum to post this...

Nortel Networks is fighting a provincial order to clean its polluted former plant site in south London.

London Free Press

The one-time star of Canada’s high-tech sector is arguing it’s bankrupt and can’t afford the $10-million cost to stop compounds linked to cancer from spreading from its property near Hwy. 401 — even though Nortel is about to rake in at least $900 million from selling its patents

For its polluted London site, Nortel has gone to court to challenge the ministry order against it, arguing bankruptcy law trumps environmental law.

Once again the mighty dollar trumps everything else. I see so many decisions being made these days based on monetary issues instead of morals, ethics, environment etc. And especially since Nortel is most likely going to make a good buck on selling it's patents (Link) I see no reason they should be entirely responsible for cleaning up their mess.

So what if the shareholders don't get as much of cut of the patent sale - I say if you are willing to buy into stock of a company - you are just as responsible when the company screws up. Somehow I think even if they did spend the $10M to clean up the site - there would be plenty $$ left over for the greedy execs/shareholders.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OK, so one law seems to trump another, but even so, why can`t the executive be tried and jailed, for instance, if they fail to comply?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I believe the bankruptcy court had put in a restriction that would 'protect' Nortel for claims like this. Chances are about 0% the courts will turn around and enforce any proceedings against the executives/shareholders.

new topics

join