It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An E-MAIL i sent to ATS management.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

This is my first thread so please don't be overly critical

I just sent this idea to ATS management. Here's the E-MAIL:

Hello ATS, I did not know who to contact about this so i decided to write directly to management. I have the idea of creating a poll website or some kind of function in which people can vote on interesting topics like: do you think that Illuminati exist?; do you think that we will openly meet ET's till 2012 or sth like that? and so on and so on. The website poll on opinions can be refreshed every month for example. The idea is to start tracking people's opinions on such things and to monitor how their beliefs change over time and how fast. I know that probably such website exists but my idea is to create it using ATS' popularity. It has to be a world poll in the sense that all the world should participate. Please advise if you think it is wise to do that, Mariyan, Bulgaria P.S. I know that threads do pretty much the same but i am thinking about yes/no type of thing with some nuances of course.

In this way we can see the world opinion and after some time of gathering data, we can send that data to whoever we deem fit. I know that this is not in any way brilliant or something but we should continue being creative and use ATS' increasing popularity in as many ways we can.

That's it,
Please advise! Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Sorry guys, i posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, please put it in the right forum. Thank you
edit on 12-4-2011 by Slevinq because: wrong forum thread

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Slevinq

I like your idea but....

In this way we can see the world opinion and after some time of gathering data

not really, you aren't getting an honest sample, you are getting a sample of people leaning towards information on sites like this, which sadly, does not represent "world opinion". There are plenty of debunkers and skeptics on here like me, but almost all of them are here in the quest for truth as we believe in these possibilities, so using us as a sample taints it.

Ignoring that, a polling system, like available on many forums, would really do good here as some topics don't really deserve full paragraph responses but board rules dictate no 1 line answers. I for one am sick of seeing "2nd line" in someones post. a polling system would allow for information gathering without leaving room for nonsense and bickering.

It won't replace thread discussions, but could help them. On at least 1 board I frequent you can create a poll thread, each user gets to vote, then they can discuss the topic as a normal thread. The poll is essentially a sticky and is always the first post displayed to the user.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Although I like the idea (it's been proposed before if I'm not mistaken), I don't think an ATS poll would be representative for 'the world opinion', as you call it.

An 'ATS opinion', yes - but the users of this site don't represent all layers, cultures, opinions, views... this world contains.
Still, we could use a poll forum around here.

Edit: as phishyblankwaters said...
edit on 12/4/11 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
You both are right! However, i think that even if it is only ATS who votes, it will be extremely interesting to see how many people think this, and how many that. I want to see how opinions change with time. Every member will be able to vote for example every 1 or two weeks or however is convenient for the purpose of gathering correct data. Forums are brilliant but in order to see how people's opinions change, you have to start reading posts of previous years and that will take too much time.

I hope a nice discussion is started with this so that it may become more popular.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Slevinq

I hope responding to this thread doesn't make it difficult for the mods to move it to the correct section, if so, sorries!

I want to see how opinions change with time. Every member will be able to vote for example every 1 or two weeks or however is convenient for the purpose of gathering correct data.

That is actually a fantastic idea. I see this being more than just adding a option for people to post polls. I'd suggest a thread for us to suggest topics, the staff then sends a poll out to users (either all, recently active, or maybe a signup list) much like they send out mass u2u messages. Somehow the data is tracked by topic and user. This is a great idea.

What would be even better is some method of scraping the threads by user posts, making an algorithm that can decipher the topics and users opinions, and keep that tracked. Then on the users profile page you can see their actually opinions, and have an accurate record of all the times they've flip flopped.
(tongue in cheek people)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Brilliant idea man. I'll wait and see what ATS management says and i'll post their answer. I'm going out for 1-2 hours now. Keep discussing it!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Don't worry about if this thread wiil or will not be moved to another forum. The mods know what they are doing, and it is not a problem for them. It happens all the time.

I like the idea. A poll option.

This might be ATS and the members here are drawn to alternative news and the truth about many thinks, where mainstream does not want or can't talk anout. Maybe ignorance is frequently the best explanation.

Anyway...

I've got to learn a little bit about some of our fellow ATS members and they do come from various parts of the world, social class and ethnic groups. What they usually share is being open minded, curiosity to whatever draws their interest, but most of all in each other. They are willing to listen, talk, and discus with people from all over the world without caring about their origin and will even accept it when they learn from others. Even from people they would never have spoken to in real life.

In the Netherlands we have a social site called hyves which is similar to Face Book, but way more fun.
They actually have a poll system build in the site. Maybe you like to visit the site and look around a bit so I will include a link for you. The site is in Dutch, but google can translate most of it pretty well.

I hope you can move closer to your goal. Good luck.

Welcome to ATS

When you have a complaint or suggestion simply use the alert button above each post or below the avatar and/or member name in the option list. You can also click on tools in the blue option bar on to of the screen and you will see another list of options including complaint or suggestion. Click it to post whatever you was planning to suggest , asked or talk about and your message will e seen as it is going to a special moderator forum where they can all see your message. Then the bal is in their court.
~Sinter

Dutch social site. Hyves.
edit on 4/12/2011 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Slevinq

ATS like all similar websites generates revenue from advertising..

The more posts, the more $$$$

Polls don't generate posts...

BTW good idea that's been asked a few times..

Maybe we could have a poll about it

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
We have actually tried polls in the past. The result was not so great. You'd end up with tons of useless polls on everything under the sun, and it got to the point where they were just ignored. The basic idea of the site is more for open discussion vs. a quick poll

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
For those that have not tried the "New Search" feature here at ATS, your really missing out. You would've easily have found that this has been done in the past with interesting results.

Here we asked members to chime in:
Take The Poll: Determine the Top-Ten Conspiracy Theories,

And the end result?
The Top-Ten Conspiracy Theories

It was even mentioned in one of our ATS News video segments:
ATS News 09 - 2009: The Year In Review

Johnny Anonymous

new topics

top topics

join