It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching for an ET? Scientists Say Look for Signs of Aliens Mining Asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
After 50 years of searching the heavens with radio telescopes to try to contact alien life, so far the attempts of SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) scientists seem to have fallen on deaf ears.So is there another way to try to find aliens in our galactic neighborhood? Some scientists suggest looking for signs of ETs mining asteroids.

Interesting concept, because it shouldn't be difficult to detect any outer space mining operations conducted by aliens, especially something that would kick up an unusual amount of dust in the process as they search for precious metals found in rocky asteroids.

"The development of civilizations like ours into spacefaring, multi-planet entities requires significant raw materials to construct vehicles and habitats. Interplanetary debris, including asteroids and comets, may provide such a source of raw materials," write Duncan Forgan of the University of Edinburgh and Martin Elvis of the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

www.aolnews.com...
We mite only need to go as far as Phobos to find the answer. We need to get our priority's right as a Planet, as Humans we have got to go into space soon or we will not be around much longer just look around you.

Renowned physicist Dr Michio Kaku:
www.bing.com... ku&FROM=LKVR5>1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR28

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I wonder what other tell-tale signs are out there for advanced civilizations. I recall reading about how we should be able to see 'Dyson Spheres' even though they're only really theoretical, if they exist out there they would be collosal, and so easy to spot (for hubble type sattelites).

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have to ask, What happened to those photos of the giant ships mining the rings of saturn?
There was a sageant major showing them around,
Evidence of a type 2 or better civilisation may be on scales we dont even recognise as un naturally caused....involving forces and principals we are ignorant of....
Evidence of type 1 or lower would be more familiar in some ways, but still way beyond our reach....
Mining asteroids for metals is prtty much a human level concept when you think that there is really one basis for matter and that if you can manipulate it, you can produce any combination or purity you want from garbage....
This is not beyond even human possibility.
Evidence of other beings probably would apear as if by magic if we could drop our own ego out of our world view, and open our minds.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I have to ask, What happened to those photos of the giant ships mining the rings of saturn?
There was a sageant major showing them around,
Evidence of a type 2 or better civilisation may be on scales we dont even recognise as un naturally caused....involving forces and principals we are ignorant of....
Evidence of type 1 or lower would be more familiar in some ways, but still way beyond our reach....
Mining asteroids for metals is prtty much a human level concept when you think that there is really one basis for matter and that if you can manipulate it, you can produce any combination or purity you want from garbage....
This is not beyond even human possibility.
Evidence of other beings probably would apear as if by magic if we could drop our own ego out of our world view, and open our minds.
I did a search for you and found this: www.abovetopsecret.com... is this it?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majician
I wonder what other tell-tale signs are out there for advanced civilizations. I recall reading about how we should be able to see 'Dyson Spheres' even though they're only really theoretical, if they exist out there they would be collosal, and so easy to spot (for hubble type sattelites).
I did a search about Dyson Spheres and got this awesome site that talks about where scientist think there could be some you can look at with a telescope : home.fnal.gov...

new topics

top topics

join