It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polytheism = Open Source; Monotheism = iGod

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In this thread, I wish to debate the openness or inclusiveness that Polytheist have over their Monotheist brethren.

I have been wanting to do this thread since I've recently watched the movie Agora

A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

Let's just say the movie mad me a bit upset with Monotheist beliefs.

On to the debate. It seems historically that pagans were much more known to question themselves and their world without the fear of dogma or persecution. They set up many schools of thought from philosophers to druids.

Ancient Greek Philosophy

Ancient Greek Philosophy studies the philosophical activities and enquiries of the Greco-Roman thinkers. It covers a period of 1,000 years; from the 6th century BC to the 6th century AD. It starts from the theoretical novelty the early Presocratic thinkers such as Thales and Anaximander and ends to the late Neoplatonic and Aristotelian commentators such as Simplicius and Philoponus. Ancient Greek philosophers can be found throughout the Greek-speaking Mediterranean regions such as South Italy, Sicily, Asia Minor, Egypt and North Africa. The questions posed from the Greek thinkers concern the philosophical areas of Cosmology, Ethics, Epistemology, Logic, Metaphysics and Aesthetics such as: What is the origin of the Universe? What is the nature of Cosmos? Is there any transcendental reality beyond perceptual existence? Is there any true knowledge? Is there any ethical standard for good life?

ence the end of ancient philosophy is usually marked by the close of the Platonic Academy of Athens by the emperor Justinian in 529AD.

Did Monotheistic belief help guide us into the Dark Ages?

Dark Ages, Two serfs and four oxen operating one medieval agricultural plow, 14th-century illuminated …the early medieval period of western European history. Specifically, the term refers to the time (476–800)

The dates certainly seem to coincide.

So what has made Monotheism become the prevailing belief? It can't be argued that it was the transgression of denying ignorance, as it seems to have taken the opposite path.

I am sorry if my post is not as orderly and neat as it should be if I were a college paper (it's been 4 years since I've taken any courses.)

Comments, questions and counter arguments welcomed from all sides of the table (except for one liners, I hate one line replies)! This is a civil debate and not one of trolling or, "my god is better than your god, period" debates.

~Quest, to become a Master Debater

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here I shall flip it around for you, just for fun.

You may say Polytheism is open from one point of reference, however I can say the opposite from another point of reference, hence the theory of relativity.

"Polytheism is closed minded because it refuses to accept the theory of one all-powerful God. "
We could turn this around also. Many possibilities.

It is actually easy to twist things around like this and use various points of view to contradict anything.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
My thoughts here is that monotheistic dogmatic religion is easy. Everything is decided for you, all you have to do is believe. An open religion that accepts the idea that things are not already all figured out is harder.. it makes us think and makes us responsible for our actions. There's no god or savior to "absolve us" from our sins.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
Did Monotheistic belief help guide us into the Dark Ages?

Dark Ages, Two serfs and four oxen operating one medieval agricultural plow, 14th-century illuminated …the early medieval period of western European history. Specifically, the term refers to the time (476–800)

The dates certainly seem to coincide.

Thanks for the chance to toss this up:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82f874cfb387.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyhow, my view on poly v mono.
Lets forget I am agnostic atheist for a moment...just conceptually as far as theology and philosophy is concerned...I favor a poly version of deity pantheons...why?

1) the gods have their specialized roles...you don't pray for the goddess of fertility to help you win a war, you don't pray to the god of war to help your crops grow...it gives focus towards a prayer

if you go to get someones help, you don't start with "Hey, I know you to be a great cook, and fisherman..so, can you help me fix my computer?...no...you go to the person whom is focused almost exclusively on technology and computers to get help.

the bland 1 god for everything just by the very nature makes people intellectually lazy. Sure, the catholics tried to make it complex and intellectual by having patron saints of this and that (basically reinventing roman poly), but still misses the mark by having the singular deity as the focus

2) it creates a council of wisdom...a angry god could be kept in check by a consensus by the other gods with different perspectives...
"no Posidon...no flooding the world because someone ate the wrong fish...now just calm down!" It makes the system of consensus and political understandings more relevant...and in a way, makes the gods more like us (and therefore understand our plight)

3) better festivals

4) Economic boost. nevermind having just 1 temple for 1 god...you need to build 12 temples for 12 different gods, employee the clergy of this or that, etc...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thank you all for your replies thus far. I'll comment on your posts later, for now I have to get ready to leave for work.

I'll be back in 8 hours!

~Quest

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AMANNAMEDQUEST

I think it's just like anything else.
People will choose the the belief that best meets their needs.
On the other hand," Convert or die!" doesn't leave you much choice.

top topics

join