It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexual transmission of insect-borne virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Cologne...check, Hair gel...check, Condoms...check, Bug repellant....wait..wait..what?

I really shouldn't joke about this for there are some serious implications involved if this happens to be the case. New vectors and means of infection are discovered everyday although they may have been around for aeons. By no means is this 100% confirmed yet but it is an interesting topic.

Brian Foy, a U.S. vector biologist from Colorado State University and a Ph.D. student Kevin Kobylinski had been in Senegal conducting research on Malaria. During the course of their research they were collecting mosquitoes in the village of Bandafassi. During their time there, they also endured many mosquito bites themselves.

They returned to the states on August 24, 2008 and within five days of their return became ill. They experienced symptoms of rash, fatigue, headaches, and swollen joints. Foy also experienced painful urination and blood in his semen.

On September 3, 2008, Joy Chilson Foy, Brian’s wife, also became sick and experienced many of the same symptoms however none of their four children were ill....

Link here for full article.

At the rate that viral infections mutate I suppose it is possible that this could occur in reverse with other diseases. Maybe at some point the infamous HIV could in fact be transmitted by insect bite. The list goes on Herpes, HPV, Hepititus, etc.
I also find it scary that with our knowledge of genetic manipulation/engineering that this could be weaponized. I realize that those concerns have been around for a while. I am just pointing out this potential find to be of importance.

edit on 4/8/2011 by LastStand because: spelling errors

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wow...this thread was dead before I even submitted it.

Oh well I'm a newbie so I had better get used to this.
And on to the next one.

new topics

join