It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Car Engine Sends Shock Waves Through Auto Industry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by predator0187

25 KW hahahahahahaha! Rotary hahahahahaha!

[snip]

love burning fossil fuels no matter how we acquire the oil hahaha!

[snip]

This piece of machinery is a dud!

Wow. hahahahahahaha... taunt much?

Never mind that gasoline is getting so expensive, it's holding back the recovery from the recession.

That may be true in North America and Europe ,but Phat man is in Oz and we don't have a recession.............Yet,

Interesting little motor thou,we be good to see how(if) it comes along

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Well sadly, the concept of the Rotor engine isnt all that new.

The rotary engine was an early type of internal-combustion engine, usually designed with an odd number of cylinders per row in a radial configuration, in which the crankshaft remained stationary and the entire cylinder block rotated around it. Its main application was in aviation, although it also saw use in a few early motorcycles and cars.

This type of engine was widely used as an alternative to conventional in-line or V engines during World War I and the years immediately preceding that conflict, and has been described as "a very efficient solution to the problems of power output, weight, and reliability".[1]

By the early 1920s, however, the inherent limitations of this type of engine had rendered it obsolete, with the power output increasingly going into overcoming the air-resistance of the spinning engine itself. Another factor in its demise was the fundamentally inefficient use of fuel and lubricating oil caused in part by the need for the fuel/air mixture to be aspirated through the hollow crankshaft and crankcase.

The university simply took the concept of the original form of the Rotary engine and altered the style. Hopefully though, it will be more dependable with more longevity, and more output. Perhaps this is the idea we all have been waiting for?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Well since you dont care about much, Not all people want a cheap car to run to save the planet I want a cheap daily run around car so i can play longer on the weekends in my less enonomical toy and use your car as a flex ramp since i dont care much for muscle cars which are a waste of HP which you can rarely enjoy its full potential legally,

We all have opinions but your first post you came across as a dumb teenager on his P plates who thinks the worlds about him. Maybe you'll change your tune and attitude about however item in question is sourced when we are invaded for a particular item by another country. But I doubt you'd care as I doubt you'll put your hand up to protect your country as all you care about is your own arse and well being.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

A Luddite is someone who doesn't like progress and, even though that's where the term originated, it now covers anyone against progress (because they like things the way they are). If they had their way, we'd still be going out with horse and buggy.

On this particular rotary engine, if it was able to move a full sized sedan well over 240kph and do the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds, I'd bet you'd be saving up to buy one. Right?

Baby steps, maybe... but I like innovation.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Trigger82

We all have opinions but your first post you came across as a dumb teenager on his P plates who thinks the worlds about him.

Well I suppose even "banana benders" are entitled to opinions but by the way I am over 40!. Be rude if you want I don't care about that either!

when we are invaded for a particular item by another country. But I doubt you'd care as I doubt you'll put your hand up to protect your country as all you care about is your own arse and well being.

I will lay money I will be there before you, fight harder and have twice the ticker you will ever have in that department! What has this got anything to do with this under powered engine?

When these substandard products can compete with the current platform in terms of performance, feel and sound they don't rate. I have no interest in swapping to a hybrid car until they are even in the above criteria.

Where do you get off insulting someone because they have a different opinion to you? Now that is really Un Australian

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

my car has 110 hp and it is not very light but fast
so 140 hp is enough

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Exxon in a joint venture with BP, Conoco Philips, Saudi Aramco, etc. will buy own this patent in the next few weeks.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
Exxon in a joint venture with BP, Conoco Philips, Saudi Aramco, etc. will buy own this patent in the next few weeks.

Or the patent holders will be destroyed financially in long drawn out litigations, and if that fails, they will die from untimely inconspicuous deaths.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
We could be off oil dependency years ago but it's very likely that 100 years from now we'll still be using oil for vehicles. There is just too much money involved with the oil business. Kinda like the drug market...no way that will end either as the gov't has their hand in that as well.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think some of the posters who are suggesting this will be swept under the rug, may want to reassess the reasoning behind this belief.

I have no doubt this has been standard procedure to buy out, discredit, legally mess with, or outright physically threaten/attack...in the past.

The difficulty these days are two fold:

1. The internet. If someone designs an innovative alternative energy solution, or greatly improves efficiency of current greenhouse sourced engines, they can just give it to the global community, and once that genie's out of the bottle, it's game over.

2. The game nearly is over as is! The elite can only safely stranglehold us peons for so long using their current setups. Cheap peak oil is being realized, and if allowed to play in full, WILL collapse civilization as we know it. I honestly don't think any elite wants the party to end just yet. This means they will start allowing new techs that they can still somewhat control, and get a piece of the pie.

Common sense, guys. Update your assumptions, as the terrain is changing.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
as i sit here today, i just saw oil go up over 110 dollars a barrel. if you think exxon, chevron, bp, and shell, who make billions a month just in profit, are going to let new tech cut into that profit, you must be dreaming.
if i had a brand new invention for a game changing engine design, and one of these companies came to me and said they would give me 500 million for the patent rights....i would take their money in a heartbeat.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Seen something similar before; a camless (still had cams but the cam was the cylinder wall..) engine that used no oil in a balanced setup, a different way of doing exactly the same thing as other combustion motors. Produced over 120hp from around 350cc, the figures for the various prototypes were about 4x as much power as a normal v8 for the same displacement with less vibration and more torque and miles more efficiency, as its a single cylinder and few moving parts. Of course this has been nowhere to be seen. And it ran on about any fuel that burnt. Don't even get me started on the fully working, self spinning up monopole magnet motor I saw too lol... >_< different idea, similar outcome for TPTB and same story for it also.. never seen again.

I can't even think of one hugely technological/efficiency related major advancement in auto technology since it began. They had ridiculously efficient cars in the 60s and highly efficient ones even earlier. They had wheels, engines and steering wheels in the 1900s. Now cars are more electronic, heavier, not much more reliable, more complicated and even harder to fix, and no more efficient in many cases. Kawasaki used carburettors on its motogp bikes until 2004 while injection technology was rampant but had to change after that. Why? Emissions control standards, not efficiency.

Electric cars? Not a solution, hope you enjoy dumping our primitive batteries into the environment every 4-5 years. We are surrounded by and are made of more energy than all the nuclear reactors output on earth in a year, yet we can't figure out how to direct the flow and utilise it for our benefit? I think it is hidden from us without our intervention because most do not have the responsibility that such technology requires.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by budaruskie
More efficiency with fewer parts is fantastic for economy of resources but ultimately will be shot down because it means fewer jobs. Politicians will side with the status quo, for the wrong reasons, as always. Remember, fewer parts = fewer jobs.
edit on 4/7/2011 by budaruskie because: (no reason given)

The car industry reminds me of the Buggy makers that were complaining about the invention of the car.

It's well past time they got off their lazy a's and actually started to 'think', 'invent', 'produce'. And not something that comes packaged & ready for them just to take over and keep on doing the same old thing.

Twenty years ago we could have had airless, 10 year tires . But oh no- that would hurt the existing tire industry. So they whined until finally the police in the US said "If people have airless tires we cannot shoot out the tires of escaping criminals!" And they made them illegal. I can guarantee you that thousands more people have died because of this stupidity than any criminals have killed.

When we allow ourselves to be locked down and frozen in time because an industry is too lazy to re-invent itself- from housing to cars- we are screwed as a people.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This new engine would be great, but here in Oregon they are trying to pass a law that would tax electric powered vehicle a per mile tax. The law makers here say that the electric vehicle are not paying any road tax. This would discourage anyone from buying them.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

That is a rotary configured PISTON engine. Simply a change in configuration vs longitudinal or a V configuration piston engine.
They were used in the early days of aviation and even in the M4 Sherman Tank but due to their size made the fuselage too big eating way too much fuel.
Look up the P-47 Thunderbolt which used this configuration but lost out to the P-51 due to it's inefficiency.

This new engine is different because though rotary in design, it doesn't use Pistons, connecting rods, bearings, valves, cam shafts. and is why it is three times as efficient.
It's using compression to burn the fuel. So no ignition, spark plugs etc either are required ....

It's more efficient due it's lack of internal FRICTION....inherent to any and all engines. Try running an engine without oil and see how long it takes before it seizes.

The fewer mechanical parts interacting with one another, the less friction and resulting parasitic losses incurred making for a more efficient and reliable design.

It is similar to the Wankel but without the friction at the Apex seals which was the Wankel rotary engine's detriment.

He also mentions that it is capable of running using fuels other than gasoline which is good in a couple of ways.

One is that it doesn't pose a direct threat to the Powers That Be and their oil monopoly so this Professor won't be found mysteriously dead in his car or something like that and Two, the engine could be implemented in many designs and transitioned over to run on other Fuels in the future such as bio diesel. Using waste fryolator oil for example.

But the good thing is that looking at the size of the rotor and the fact that it can produce 35 HP isn't bad since a larger rotor analogous to more displacement in a conventional engine could likely produce even more power.

This would be great for the existing hybrids saving weight as well as gas making them even more efficient.

Good Post OP ....Thanks !

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If anything it is the piston engine that should not work, but it is due to man's enginuity and the refining of the technologies that makes it work. The Wankel engine is still being refined and is in full production by Mazda. The idea of producing/saving electrical energy on the move is another step forward, even 'Top Gear' have already done that! There is also the Hydrogen cell system that is also produced on the move, that is very appealing. So nothing wrong with this idea at all. I drive a 3.5 litre V6 and love it, but I'm still open to something radical.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

did you notice,, """""Last week, the prototype was presented to the energy division of the Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is backing the Michigan State University Engine Research Laboratory with $2.5 million in funding.""""""""

ARPA is funding the project,,,, where is the "D" for DARPA?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9

It's not so much the auto industry as it is the government regulations on the auto industry.

Somehow, people got this idea that corporations were inherently criminal and would make a car out of toothpicks and chewing gum. So they decided it would be a good idea to have the government impose all kinds of regulations on that automobile industry. In fact - the automobile industry is the most heavily regulated industry. Hence the lack of progress in the market. Concept-to-market is a decade or longer by time you compound the requirements for government certification on top of the times to secure subcontractors, tool-up for model production, and run up inventory.

Back in 2003 or so, my father was working quality control at a diecasting factory - against his advice, the owner got into an automobile contract. In either case - they were running parts, back in '03, for an '05 model vehicle.

That's why this stuff "disappears" - it's going to be, at a bare minimum, five years before you will ever see it in a vehicle. That's assuming they already have government approval and can simply drop it into a design in the works. By time you add in the trial periods needed for government regulations with the time to work them into a functional design - you're looking at 15 years before this thing will ever appear on a mainstream automobile.

And five years from now, people will be crying that it got swept up under the rug and bought out by big oil.

It won't even occur to them, ten years later, when it hits the big market - that it's been in development ever since.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Funny I thought about posting this yesterday after reading another thread.

I heard they could not get this machine to work efficiently in commercial consumer application because the size of the test mechanisms were smaller then needed to run an automobile. When they scaled the test up to the size needed it failed to produce the same amount of equivalent power, thus the idea was scrapped!

But this was at least 3 years ago!
edit on 4/8/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It makes me think of this. It is a video in French, but the car developped by the Groupe Couture had an auto-charging electrical motor in each wheels... With only two, he could go easily to 80km/h.

It could also make 0 to 100 in 4 seconds, with a BIG car. Once they achieved full functionality, they were told separate, as a team, never work again together, never on a similar prototype... THIS WAS IN 1994!!!

www.dailymotion.com...

What the OP as brought to our attention looks more like a PR stunt designed to "give us hope"... Sorry people...

Also www.radio-canada.ca...

This was the real deal. When I last saw it on television at the end of the 90s, we were told it would never be aired again!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join