It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Car Engine Sends Shock Waves Through Auto Industry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+82 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5bd99a9875bc.jpg[/atsimg]

Despite shifting into higher gear within the consumer's green conscience, hybrid vehicles are still tethered to the gas pump via a fuel-thirsty 100-year-old invention: the internal combustion engine.

However, researchers at Michigan State University have built a prototype gasoline engine that requires no transmission, crankshaft, pistons, valves, fuel compression, cooling systems or fluids. Their so-called Wave Disk Generator could greatly improve the efficiency of gas-electric hybrid automobiles and potentially decrease auto emissions up to 90 percent when compared with conventional combustion engines.

The engine has a rotor that's equipped with wave-like channels that trap and mix oxygen and fuel as the rotor spins. These central inlets are blocked off, building pressure within the chamber, causing a shock wave that ignites the compressed air and fuel to transmit energy.

The Wave Disk Generator uses 60 percent of its fuel for propulsion; standard car engines use just 15 percent. As a result, the generator is 3.5 times more fuel efficient than typical combustion engines.

Well, hopefully this is not bought up by the big oil companies and shoved away somewhere. We need to get off of the oil and start looking towards the future.

We have had basically the same cars for decades and have seen very little improvement out of that industry. Why do we demand so little in ways of improvement from them? We are using tech from before we were on the moon for god's sake.

We should demand more and hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

nice find Predator - thanks, I'll look forward to digging into this technology and hearing input from other members on it.

Bump, s&f

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
More efficiency with fewer parts is fantastic for economy of resources but ultimately will be shot down because it means fewer jobs. Politicians will side with the status quo, for the wrong reasons, as always. Remember, fewer parts = fewer jobs.
edit on 4/7/2011 by budaruskie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Well, hopefully this is not bought up by the big oil companies and shoved away somewhere.

Great invention hope this one doesn't end up like the others.

It really is a shame that the almighty dollar rules all, it's hard to imagine where we would be if new technology like this was welcomed instead of bought out and buried.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Great find mate, although petrol/gas prices would go up 10 fold if this came to serious production

Although it will be years before this technology is even considered by the big guns like Toyota, Honda, Ford, Vauxhall/Opel

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yeah keep dreaming. What he is holding is a toy compared to what it would really take to harness a fuel combustion cycle with enough torque to turn an electric motor well enough. He is basically trying to re-invent the Turbine engine. We will see.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

this thing will be shelved in Oak Ridge, relegated to collect dust along with countless other types of free energy and alternative energy devices "they" don't want "us" to have.

i could disappear over some of the stuff i learned about ornl, but suffice it to say much tech like this is sitting in huge warehouses.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
25 Kw = 33.5255 hp, if you put one of these at all four wheels you would have around 134 hp it would work good with really light vehicles an as they refine it it will get better.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
hmmm, would like to see more of how it worked. How does it burn the fuel? Seems to me like its more a glorified rotary engine to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good find! It's interesting how most other technologies continue to evolve yet the automobile has changed very little since Henry Ford. Then every once in a while I hear a story like this, new engine, new fuel, etc and nothing ever comes of it. Let's hope this doesn't get bought out/shelved/silenced and end up the same.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Thats what I thought of too. It looks very similar to the wankel rotary:

:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think some of you are misunderstanding how this engine would be used inside the vehicle. Mr. Mueller clearly states that this engine would basically be powering a GENERATOR that would supply electricity to electric motors which in turn would be powering the vehicle..... not the new motor itself. Think of how a railroad locomotive/train engine works. It has several electric motors powering the wheels which are powered by large diesel generators.

Chevy Volt is sort of doing this as well..

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm sure nothing will come from this, it'll get swept under the rug just like some of the past inventions that could greatly reduce our dependence on oil. We could be using vegetable oil, solar energy, and whatever many other free energy methods there are out there to power our vehicles, but I don't think we'll ever fully make the switch. While this isn't exactly free energy, I bet it'll be at least another 15-20 years before we start seeing it pop up in cars.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This has actually been around for awhile now, its finally being refined to the point it could see production.

Its a step in the right direction, however the public wont have access to it until gas is $10 a gallon so the only don't have to settle for profitting only millions.

How would they ever feed their familes or buy politicans if they couldnt make $30 billion a quarter?? smh
edit on 7-4-2011 by jstanthrno1 because: eh

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

More efficiency with fewer parts is fantastic for economy of resources but ultimately will be shot down because it means fewer jobs. Politicians will side with the status quo, for the wrong reasons, as always. Remember, fewer parts = fewer jobs.

Did you watch "Who Killed The Electric Car" too? That was exactly one of the points they were making. That and the parts wouldn't wear out so fast so less need for mechanics=fewer jobs too. Great movie for all those who haven't seen it. Also there is a crazy amount of tech that has been buried that would free us from the need for oil and all of the dirty burning energy production we have now, including nuclear power. That's why I'm optimistic that when things do change they are going to change very fast. We don't have to invent all this new tech, it's already been invented.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
didnt watch the video but if it works anything like a rotary which by what i read it does not, it would fall apart faster than a cylinder engine. their seals tend to take a dump sooner than most. and the government has free energy sources already developed and in use. hell i bet they even have a device that can turn light energy into matter using it for food or clothing or anything they wanted really. the reason why they dont switch from oil is because and we all know this, but oil is what controls this world. there going to use all of it up before they switch to alternatives.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HispanicPanic
didnt watch the video but if it works anything like a rotary which by what i read it does not, it would fall apart faster than a cylinder engine. their seals tend to take a dump sooner than most. and the government has free energy sources already developed and in use. hell i bet they even have a device that can turn light energy into matter using it for food or clothing or anything they wanted really. the reason why they dont switch from oil is because and we all know this, but oil is what controls this world. there going to use all of it up before they switch to alternatives.
If they do have such a thing they better start making gold or something with it lol Anyways this is not like a rotary motor, we need to see how it burns the fuel and how the exhaust gas is going to be vented really to know how it's going to work. I say strap three of these to one gearbox for each of the four wheels of a car with a weight of about 3000 lbs and it would beat anything but a Shelby Cobra, ok I made that last part up.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240
hmmm, would like to see more of how it worked. How does it burn the fuel? Seems to me like its more a glorified rotary engine to me.

Funny you should say that! My first thought upon seeing the diagram and video was, "It's a flattened Wankel."

Might be a little premature to be holding our breath.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

cool
a super effecient petrol motor powers a generator
that feeds power to the motors at each wheel
that allows for re-generative braking
xp

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

25 KW hahahahahahaha! Rotary hahahahahaha! My Chev powered Holden car puts out at least 15 times more power than that! Who cares, love my cars, love burning fossil fuels no matter how we acquire the oil hahaha! We will most likely run out of oil before we kill the environment anyway! So rev it up whether your choice is Turbo, V8, V12, Mazda Rotary or Diesel whatever ..... burn it up! This piece of machinery is a dud!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join