It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd driver attacked on San Diego freeway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Source

SAN DIEGO — The California Highway Patrol says a second car was hit by gunfire on the same San Diego freeway where a college coed was wounded. The 21-year-old University of San Diego student is recovering after she was hit in the rib cage while driving to school Tuesday morning on state Route 163. The CHP says a 42-year-old Rancho Bernardo man heard about the shooting and contacted authorities to say someone shot at his car in the same freeway area at about the same time. Officials say a bullet struck the rear window pillar of his car but he wasn't hurt. The CHP says the shootings appear to be related but there's no word on a motive and no arrests have been made.

I wonder if its just random thugs, or the cartels trying to incite scare tactics.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I think we have another sniper on our hands.
either that or thugs playing around.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Sounds like the Jacksonville ,Fl sniper...how long did it take to find him,or did they...I can't remember...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Its probably some nut job trying to become the next Beltway sniper. Is it just me or does this stuff happen far to often in this country specifically?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I think this is interesting.

We're supposed to treat all firearms the same. Whether it's a 22 a big 50 or even a pellet gun. All the same safe handling rules apply.

Yet when some kids in the bushes shoot at cars on the freeway with pellet guns it's vandalism and wreckless behavior. When somebody fires a "real" gun it's the next wannabe sniper.

Could just as easilly be some idiot who thinks it's funny.

But I guess anticipating some especially sadistic string of crimes for the foreseeable future is the sexier alternative.

I like how a pellet gun is either a deadly weapon in one context or a toy in another while a "real" gun is never a toy even if the context would qualify the use and motive as one of a "toy."

Just thought it was interesting, that's all.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Even if someone is doing it to try to be "funny" they would still know they are using a deadly weapon which has the potential to kill anyone they shoot at with it.

I don't think anyone would think going out and shooting at cars with a rifle as oppose to a pellet gun would cause no harm and is all in good fun.
edit on 7-4-2011 by Openeye because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

The term "deadly weapon" isnt constant. It changes all the time.

You'd be surprised how many yahoos would think shooting at moving cars with a real firearm is fun or funny. The world is absolutely filled to the brim with mindless lunatics with no grasp on consequences.

Just as there are no doubt kids shooting at cars with pellet guns whos intent is to cause harm either by instigating an accident or shattering glass in the drivers face or whatever.

Is the crime weighed on the action or the intent of the action?

Which is worse: a drunken idiot who thinks shooting at cars with his 22 is fun or the 15 year old hell bent on causing death and destruction firing with a pellet gun?

I did a little looking and found some things.

This is two men shooting at cars with pellet guns.

Shawn Philip Wagner of Mariposa and Rojelio Samuel Gomez of Fremont were each charged with 42 counts of assault with a deadly weapon and 43 counts of vandalism in connection with the shootings over the past several months.

Wagner and Gomez each pleaded guilty to two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one felony count of vandalism, authorities said. Each will be sentenced to three years and eight months in state prison.

Now these two comitted the same crime but got a much lighter punishment:

The Cape Cod Times reports that 20-year-old Shawn Ackerman and 18-year-old John Duarte II each received three years of probation and 300 hours of community service after admitting to assault and battery with a dangerous weapon at a hearing Tuesday in Brockton Superior Court.

Read more: www.patriotledger.com...

edit on 7-4-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dang, that's the freeway I go on to visit my friend

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Openeye

The term "deadly weapon" isnt constant. It changes all the time.

Is the crime weighed on the action or the intent of the action?

No I completely agree. IMO anything can be a deadly weapon. A crime is weighed both by the actions and the intent. If a kid goes out on the free way to shoot at cars with his pellet gun but honestly has no intention of hurting people, it is still wrong and some punishment is logical. If the kid accidentally kills someone with that pellet gun on the freeway it is even worse, however is this kid a murdering sociopath? No. Stupid maybe but not a murderer.

But when it comes to someone with an actual firearm. I cant think of any time (doesn't mean it hasn't happened I just can not think of an instance) where someone has gone out and shot at innocent people in vehicles just for fun not intending to cause harm to anyone.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
But when it comes to someone with an actual firearm. I cant think of any time (doesn't mean it hasn't happened I just can not think of an instance) where someone has gone out and shot at innocent people in vehicles just for fun not intending to cause harm to anyone.

Yeah, Ive been looking for an example.

I found this guy:

Hausmann faces 36 counts of felonious assault, shooting into a building, shooting on or near prohibited areas, improperly handling a firearm in a motor vehicle, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of criminal tools. Source

He's a 66 year old on meds who apparently was driving around shooting at cars for sport.

Same assault charges as the kids with the pellet guns with several firearm specific charges tacked on.
I want to know if one of the pellet gun cases could have been hit with a "concealed weapon" charge. In one case the pellet gun was charged as a "deadly weapon" so then I guess it could also carry a "concealed weapon" charge if it were a pellet handgun.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Back in my hometown of Memphis, TN there was a couple of kids going around shooting pellet guns at people and at cars. The cops caught them and one of them had a hand held pellet gun which apparently had the same fire power as a 22. They charged him with a concealed weapon charge. I cant find an article to confirm it but I remeber hearing it on the radio there a few years ago.

In regards to your post about the 66 year old it says...

"Hausmann has been in treatment since July for what his attorney described as "severe mental illness with psychotic features."

I think mental illness is actually a big cause of random shootings. And most of these types of cases have to do with pharmaceutical anti psychotics. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on anti psychotic drugs causing psychoctic behavior or suicidal tendencies. Irony...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Except that we don't know who's firing the shots.

I would argue that we have too much freedom when it comes to guns because just about any mental defect can somehow get their hands on a gun and pull off such crap.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
well..
This is america...

and in america...

you can be arrested for firing a gun at cars...

also in america...

you can be arrested for firing guns at cars..

and still become a judge , later in life.

My dickhead father was arrested when he was in his late 20's-early 30's..
for exactly this. Firing a gun (pellet/bb gun) at passing cars from a 3rd story window.

Now he is a judge who gets to say who gets locked up for what, and for how long.

Only in amerika!

I hope whoever is doing this on this freeway...
gets a nice surprise by backfire and blows their own face off.
Scumbags.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Do you really want to turn this into another 2nd A thread? Dont we have enough of those?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
I think mental illness is actually a big cause of random shootings. And most of these types of cases have to do with pharmaceutical anti psychotics. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on anti psychotic drugs causing psychoctic behavior or suicidal tendencies. Irony...

I'm watching this all the time.

I'm willing to bet that 10 or 20 years from now we're going to see all sorts of issues crop up from the over prescribing of these meds now. With all the kids on meds and all the waste just building up in the water not breaking down it's going to get nuts out there. Literally.

Hell, a common side effect of many of these things is rage and thoughts of suicide. I mean, c'mon!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Except that we don't know who's firing the shots.

I would argue that we have too much freedom when it comes to guns because just about any mental defect can somehow get their hands on a gun and pull off such crap.

I agree. While it is our right to bear arms we have to realize that as the world is ever changing. Handguns for example are incredibly dangerous and are mainly made to appeal to criminals. The US has the highest number of handgun deaths in the world.

I contend that handguns should be labeled as "special weapons" and not be able to be acquired for civilian use. This would not stop gun deaths from rifles and shot guns, but I am sure it would come them down drastically. Rifles and shotguns can be used as tools for hunting and home defense. Handguns are made to be portable and conceable.

top topics

join