It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I'd kill myself first!' John Edwards 'suicidal' over facing jail, claim pals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Disgraced politician John Edwards is said to be deeply depressed - to the point of being suicidal - over the prospect of a criminal trial that could end with him being jailed if found guilty. The 57-year-old former Presidential candidate reportedly told a close friend: 'I won't go to jail. I'd kill myself first!' He has lost 20lb in the last year and is a 'broken spirit,' reports the National Enquirer.

According to the Enquirer, a close source said: 'I think John is suicidal. He knows that if he's indicted, prosecutors will try to get him to serve jail time and make an example of him. 'He's absoluetly despondent over the fear of prison. 'Over the last year, he's lost about 20lb and friends are concerned that he's escaping reality with booze.

'In early March, his legal team told him there was a strong chance he could be indicted, and John completely lost it. 'He cried his eyes out and said, "I won't go to jail. I'd kill myself first!"' The Enquirer first broke the story of Edwards's affair with blonde divorcee Rielle Hunter

A series of exclusives charted his sordid double life and his efforts to cover up the birth of his love child, daughter Frances Quinn, who is now three. The former North Carolina senator has been under federal grand jury investigation since April 2009 for alleged payments to take care of Miss Hunter in violation of campaign rules.

Probes have been carried out by both the IRS and the FBI. Complicating matters for Mr Edwards is the actions of Andrew Young, the former aide who helped cover up the affair by claiming he was Frances Quinn's father. Mr Young, who later admitted he lied to protect Mr Edwards, wrote a book about his role in the cover-up.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

And it would seem the oh so loved Presidential candidate aint what he was cracked up to be!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Heh, the National Enquirer is not exactly a credible source. They tend to make up stories and have been referred to in the past as a satire new organization on par with The Onion.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I can think of 100 politicians who have done worse and were not even blinked at. Sure, what he did was illegal, but is it worth 3 years in jail? Absolutely not.

If they make an example out of him, then they have to make an example out of EVERYBODY. Famous or not.

Hopefully he does not take the cowards way out. Perhaps this is a way for him to weasle out of it. Act like you are suicidal and get an "Unfit to stand trial" Who knows.

He put himself into this situation, so he should be a man about it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Heh, the National Enquirer is not exactly a credible source. They tend to make up stories and have been referred to in the past as a satire new organization on par with The Onion.

.....add Fox News to that list. It's legally considered Entertainment.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Originally posted by rogerstigers

.....add Fox News to that list. It's legally considered Entertainment.

and CNN, MSNBC, CSPAN, CBS, etc etc etc

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Don't know much about Daily Mail but they're covering it also. In my opinion he deserves jail time for publicly embarrising his former wife in her last few months on Earth. This scumbag could have been President.
edit on 6-4-2011 by JMech because: to add an L

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JMech
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Don't know much about Daily Mail but they're covering it also. In my opinion he deserves jail time for publicly embarrising his former wife in her last few months on Earth. This scumbag could have been President.
edit on 6-4-2011 by JMech because: to add an L

Had the above posters paid closer attention, they would have seen the very same source you posted had already been implemented at the time I created this thread. Through Drudge, cross referenced to the article on the dailymail site.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Yup, thats where I found it also

Edit: I think I missed your link also, just saw the reference to the Fox and posted,sorry.
edit on 6-4-2011 by JMech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
If he's serious, I'll loan him a pistol - long as I get it back.

Oh yeah. He needs to do it on the carpet.

Don't want my pistol scratched or scuffed as it hits the floor.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well, that sounds like a reasonable choice, I guess. He probably would go to one of the nicer jails though, and if there's one thing America loves it's a reformed sinner. So he would probably be okay once he got out, wrote a book, and all that other stuff. Still, if he thinks he wouldn't be able to hack it in jail, I guess killing himself is a reasonable option.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Maybe he should have thought about that when he was breaking the law. Ugh! this guy is SUCH a CREEP!
AND a crybaby.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
If he's serious, I'll loan him a pistol - long as I get it back.

Oh yeah. He needs to do it on the carpet.

Don't want my pistol scratched or scuffed as it hits the floor.

LOL! That was classic and so true!

top topics

join