It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child welfare workers second-guess stressful jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Child welfare workers second-guess stressful jobs

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – When child welfare worker Kelly Mares investigates an abuse case, she doesn't know what's going to greet her on the other side of the door. A ferocious dog. Or a gun. Or a meth lab, or angry parents who lash out violently.

She takes those risks willingly, she says, because she believes in protecting the city's most vulnerable. But she's not willing to risk going to jail. After two of her co-workers were charged with criminally negligent homicide in the death of a 4-year-old Brooklyn girl under their care, she's rethinking her career.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Apparently the cops arrested a CPS caseworker or two...

for get this not doing there jobs!!

their negligence resulted in the death of a child...

wow!!!!

the story is slanted to make it appear that a poor CPS caseworker is quitting because it is a tough job... Fears abound the arrest may chase away potential kidna... I mean candidates..

I can say this article did point to one thing that encouraged me...

The Police did there job...

And the prosecutors are going after them...

me 'ats off to them

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-4-2011 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

go nypd...

I want those here on ATS that have something bad to say about cops... can point to this thread and article...

These are the real heroes here... they stood up for the victim as the liberal caseworkers are still trying to figure out and play the blame game..

The police in this case did their job and did it well... CPS is not above the law...

I wonder how much it cost to get into that jury...

A child died because they where not doing there job...

I am going to look for video of the arrest if any where made

GO nypd....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Workers make $28,000 and up. In New York, investigators are paid between $42,000 and $72,000. In Miami, it's $34,000.

news.yahoo.com...

Seemingly substantial imbalance in salaries, huh ?

I can believe though, that welfare-workers are forced by the demands of their work, to neglect their own families, their own health. And it's a very stressful job. We shouldn't be surprised by the burn-out rate or neglect of duty. It's a similar situation with care-workers for the elderly, incapacitated and bed-ridden. Workers in these industries aren't saints, any more than people working McDonald's counters are saints. Every day is a repetition of the horrors of all the days before. To remain sane, child-welfare and similar workers have to detach to a degree. And just as clerks and accountants and solicitors neglect their paper-work, so do welfare and similar workers

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I cant give it to them...

Not when I have sat through a court case with a friend and heard 180's and outright lies... no they want the respect and power they need to earn it and be 100% on game anything less is unacceptable...

I feel no people who get bonuses for the more babies they sell... look on youtube for kentucky....

if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hm. Well, I can certainly understand the woman's position. High stress, low pay, overwhelming case loads, etc.

If they do a bad job, why not do things the old fashioned way: FIRE them. Let's not jam up the courts and prisons with more non violent criminals.

But more than anything, this kind of scares me in a way. I hope it doesn't create a whole army of paranoid, over zealous child welfare workers who are going to target good parents and put innocent families through hell just so the social worker can say they did their job and don't end up in jail.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Unfortunately that has already happened. Its been a huge problem for a while now. While the children who are truly in need get forgotten about.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

God, I feel like I'm in some alternate reality that resembles "Idiocracy".

Liberal bashing?
A Beastie Boys video?
Cheerleading for the NYPD?

Wake me up. Is this some kind of nightmare?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol

go nypd...

I want those here on ATS that have something bad to say about cops... can point to this thread and article...

These are the real heroes here... they stood up for the victim as the liberal caseworkers are still trying to figure out and play the blame game..

The police in this case did their job and did it well... CPS is not above the law...

I wonder how much it cost to get into that jury...

A child died because they where not doing there job...

I am going to look for video of the arrest if any where made

GO nypd....

Not all cop's are bad. Part of the problem is bad training and legislation. Then their is the "blue shield" or "blue wall" phenomenon where good cops go out of their way to protect bad cops.

That is the problem with cops.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I am not liberal bashing...

That is crime called assault... Although you suggestion will be taken under advisement...

What is with the beastie boy hate...

I can say that it appears on the cop issue... I now understand a little better what some of the cops here where saying... They did ***gasp*** there job...

I applause them for it and poof... hate... thats right the cops may not be on TPTB side after all... or maybe their is a subtle line that has developed and the Cops have had enough themselves....

As for cheerleading...

GO NYPD !!!!!!
edit on 12-4-2011 by ripcontrol because: forgot to cheer originally

top topics

join