It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the tsunami came, everyone ran to the hills. Sugawara ran to his boat

page: 1

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
... and because he did that, he became a local hero, a lifeline, the only one left with the means to connect the tiny island and its people, to mainland Japan.

Sugawara said "goodbye" to his other boats as he ran by, sorry that he could not save them all. He then took the 'Sunflower' out to sea and rode 4-5 tsunami waves, possibly 20meters high to come out safely on the other side.

Then the first wave came. Sugawara says he is used to seeing waves up to 5 meters high but this was four-times that size.

"My feeling at this moment is indescribable," he says with glistening eyes. "I talked to my boat and said you've been with me 42 years. If we live or die, then we'll be together, then I pushed on full throttle."

"Here was my boat and here was the wave," he says, holding one hand low and the other stretched high above his head. "I climbed the wave like a mountain. When I thought I had got to the top, the wave got even bigger." (1)

He is working with the local grocer, who after giving all the food in the store away for free, joined Sugawara to assist with the hourly shuttle trips to the mainland. The two men and the 'Sunflower' still the only lifeline the people on the island of Oshima, have.

Heros, who are a bit embarrassed by the attention they are receiving, no doubt.

edit on 3-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Amazing story.

Thank you. S&F&

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What a cool story. So did he ride directly into the wave?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I already did a thread about it. Thread

Still gave you a flag and star for good intentions though.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

That is what he says, he pushed full throttle into the waves and rode 4 or 5, he can't remember. The article also talks about many others who are missing, some of whom are thought to have tried to do the same, but didn't make it.

ETA:

Locals say 35 of them are confirmed dead and some are still missing, though they don't know how many. Others are believed to have taken their boats out to sea and tried to ride the tsunami like Sugawara but didn't make it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Ah. apologies. I did search key words.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's nothing. If I could ask mods not to close this thread it would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the awesome post, it is nice to read about a person placing others before himself, the thought of selflessness saved him for the greater good, how terrific is that!! I'm sure he didn't think twice about it, he knew in his heart that was the right thing to do, or at least die trying. I admire his determination and compassion towards his fellow beings, and his boat too, LOL! Great story!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TM62

You know what's interesting - Sasahara (the grocer) has said that everyone on the island used to only look out for themselves (something I thought would not be the case in a small island community) but since the tsunami, they are all working together, taking care of each other and trying to move forward.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by TM62

You know what's interesting - Sasahara (the grocer) has said that everyone on the island used to only look out for themselves (something I thought would not be the case in a small island community) but since the tsunami, they are all working together, taking care of each other and trying to move forward.

its nice to see when things go peeps pulling together and helping each other..

kx

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It takes a powerful boat to take on a tsunami.

When the boat hits the face of the wave it has to have the power to climb the wave and still be going straight forward.

If it can not climb the wave it will stall and fall off to one side and then the wave will flip the boat

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

edit on 3-4-2011 by ANNED because: doabryty

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Thats an amazing tale of survival those waves must have been unreal. This is some of the worst weather I had been in it was in the Sea of Japan.
It must have been one hell of an experience scaling a mountain of water in a small boat. I'm adding this video as well since those Tsunami waves were around 65 feet I'll add this video. The flight deck of the Kitty Hawk is over 60 feet above the water to give size reference to the wave.

edit on 3-4-2011 by Silverado292 because: TS SCI req

edit on 3-4-2011 by Silverado292 because: Embedding fail

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
It takes a powerful boat to take on a tsunami.

When the boat hits the face of the wave it has to have the power to climb the wave and still be going straight forward.

If it can not climb the wave it will stall and fall off to one side and then the wave will flip the boat

No it doesn't, you're thinking of a storm wave/rough wave... and the movie "Storm Of The Century"

The Tsunami wave is hardly noticeable out at see sometimes you will miss it altogether if your out far enough, the wave is no bother to any boat until it rises up the seabed close inland, you could sail over it and never notice, no boat will ever climb a Tsunami wave they just crash into it

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

have a look at this...

these tsunami waves are very big and very scary even out to sea a bit

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Thank you for this post!.... Yet again another heroic episode from Japan, Alot of these people seem to avoid the mercury craze prevelant in most of the world's consumption habits... they really got thier heads in the right place.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I think he was a very brave man for doing what he had done to help out. In my mind he is a hero to all those people he did it out of fear and kindness and to that I prayes him in my opinon he is my hero. If that ever happend here i would help save peoples lives like he did he will always be in the hearts and souls of the people he helped save over there. He's a true hero and for that i give thaks to him It's very scary to see that happen to them.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now that is a good story. He is a real hero, we could use more people like that in this world

S&F for you

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

I wonder how big that wave was? No trough on the back-side, interesting.
I'm trying to imagine getting through waves like that in a fishing boat! Scary
edit on 4-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I think there is no real trough behind the wave because its filled with water ! It kind looks like a step ladder going up to each wave.

That's a lot of ocean moving ! very scary...

new topics

top topics

join