It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian satellite pictures Earth in highest resolution ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

rt.com

Images transmitted by a newly-launched Russian satellite have revealed our planet as it has never been seen before.
­The images from weather-satellite Elektro-L were leaked to the press.

The satellite was launched in January with a Zenit rocket and is currently stationed 36,000 kilometers above the equator.
It sends images to ground control every 30 minutes.

The resolution of the pictures it is transmitting is higher than anything seen before.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gizmodo.com.au

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
These are truly stunning photos. It mesmerises me and allows me to apreciate the true beauty of this planet.
I completed a quick google search asking why the images appear to be so different and I managed to find this.

Elektro-L is a Russian Satellite similar to GOES (the satellites that provide the cloud image loops shown on the news every night). The images posted by Gizmodo are a combination of visible and near-infrared wavelengths, so they show the Earth in a way not visible to human eyes (vegetation looks red, for example). They’re not any better or worse than NASA images, but they show different things.

Click the links to both articles for more images.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-4-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Can't see the pictures where are they? If this is a public satellite, imagine what it is when classified. Pics or it didn't happen plz

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You didn't see the pictures?
Why?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

In the case of Elektro-L, the payload is a 1km-per-pixel resolution camera for the visible spectrum and a 4km-per-pixel one for infrared.

Got google Earth?
Go to Krefeld, Germany, zoom in.
Got the point?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

All it was was a picture of the earth from far, no high resolution pictures. Gimme picz. Picz pix pls

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I clicked on the image and it made it like 5 times larger, and it was very high res, but that's about it, nothing special same old earth.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Than please change the title, you have to change it anyway, because the breaking news section permits only the original title.
--------------
Regenstorm clicked the wrong link...

edit on 1-4-2011 by Regenstorm because: as above

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yes. Please give link to the pictures?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hande

Ummm. I have, click the news link as well. There is a video containing the images. Also, that is the original title from the news article.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Ups, I clicked the second link "Why Do Russian Images of Earth Look So Different from NASA’s?"
Still a very misleading title. 1 pixel per square kilometer...
If you go to Krefeld, Germany (as I said before) on Google Earth or Maps and zoom in, you can recognize the make of the car and you see clearly people walking. These are satellite pictures too. And my old man told me always that the Russians had spy-satellites that were able to zoom in so close that they could "read" the headlines of a newspaper. Don't know if that's true, but seen the pictures of Krefeld, I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see when the satellite photograph linked below was taken:
cache.gawkerassets.com...
Look at California. Bombing clouds ala China Olympics to avoid rain with radiation? Likely not... Just an interesting photograph either way. Nice desktop background too.

new topics

top topics

join