It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan admits game over for 4 reactors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Japan finally conceded defeat in the battle to contain radiation at four of Fukushima's crippled reactors. They will now be shut down. Details of how this will be done are yet to be revealed, but officials said it would mean switching off all power and abandoning attempts to keep the nuclear fuel rods cool. The final move would involve pouring tonnes of concrete on the reactors to seal them in tombs and ensure radiation does not leak out.

Daily mail

Wow, I really hope that they can at least contain most of the radiation.

What on earth are they going to do about the sea water being irradiated, when they don't even know where its coming from.

Sad Sad times.

Prayers to all those affected.

Edit to add: just seen an earlier post, mods please delete
edit on 31-3-2011 by Red_xi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Red_xi

Yea, it's pretty bad. This has already been posted here,

abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Red_xi

It's really ashame that those fifty workers who basically knowingly tried to contain the plants will most likely die as a result of radiation exposure..heroes for sure and I wonder if many of them lost all of their families in the tsunami or the earthquake.

It will be ineresting to see how many reactors they take off line as a result of it obviously it can't happen overnight but what will they go to? Fossil fuels or can they lead the way to newer green technologies? Whatever ever happens the country will now have dead zones that are unfathomable at this point..I feel horrible for those people..

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why did they not do this before???

Because they valued the monetary value of their reactors more than they valued all the lives that will be lost from radiation poisoning.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Game over?? Can we turn the power off and on and restart by any chance?? How many continues are left?? I wish I could agree with this, but I kind of don't feel like this is a game. A little more serious than that to me, but I could be wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Could have been much worse. Just look at Deepwater, for a recent example. People did die (as opposed to might die), more people were affected over a vastly bigger area and as for the marine deaths ......

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We've also got to take into consideration, how many people will be without access to electricity because of this.

And for how long ???

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Tragic indeed. But let this be another lesson in working with dangerous materials. We can only anticipate and prepare for emergencies to a certain point, then the rest is left to chance. If things go bad and we knowingly went into something knowing the consequences, then when the day comes we must be prepared to accept those consequences whether we like it or not, we made our decision.

It is history now, there is nothing anything or anyone can do about it, clean up the mess as best as possible and take what has been learned to this point and apply that knowledge so that it does not happen again.

link   
They should have buried the entire plant under 1000s of tons of concrete last week. The area is done, call it a loss and move the population. Sucks to do but if they want to save lives, that's what needs to be done. Containment in any way possible should be done immediately... but like BP oil dump and Katrina and everything else, they will drag ass and profit off of the results.

link   
It's sad that those engineers will die, but they will definitely go down as heroes during history

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The Battle of Chernobyl. See how bad we are and have been lied to. This was one reactor not 4. Pay careful attention to how many died, how they avoided the largest nuclear explosion in the history of mankind. Something that I have yet seen Japan avoid.

They are risking the whole Island and the worlds health if that uranium makes it to the fresh pools of water they now made with all their cooling efforts. The Russians used lead and it worked to seal the top and help cool the molten Uranium.

If the meltdown hits a pool of water then its all over. The whole Island will be blown in half from a nuclear explosion 100 times the size of the Tsar bomb.

Watch if you don't believe.

topdocumentaryfilms.com...
edit on 31-3-2011 by Sky watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by Red_xi

It's really ashame that those fifty workers who basically knowingly tried to contain the plants will most likely die as a result of radiation exposure..heroes for sure and I wonder if many of them lost all of their families in the tsunami or the earthquake.

It will be ineresting to see how many reactors they take off line as a result of it obviously it can't happen overnight but what will they go to? Fossil fuels or can they lead the way to newer green technologies? Whatever ever happens the country will now have dead zones that are unfathomable at this point..I feel horrible for those people..

This is 50 workers rotated every 3 hrs. with 50 others so you have 400 workers that have a soon to be carried out death sentence because of lies and deception.....Like I have said before, these can't be human beings running this planet...These , what ever they are, have no Conscience...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Leemo

Depends on how you look at it. And I am not sure as to what my stance is either. I struggle between two stances.

On one hand, if they had been honest about the status as things progressed other people could have been called into help. If Tepco had told the Japanese government the truth, then they could have taken other actions, such as increasing the evacuation distance and calling in other nuclear engineers to assist before things got really out of hand. But, pride and ego stood in the way.

On the other hand, they truly did the best they could and no one else could or would have done anything differently and the reactors were doomed from the beginning and all their attempts resulted in prolonging the inevitable.

I do not know, I am torn on this.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Red_xi

These idiots better pour in lead bricks first, Concrete creates heat when it cures. The lead bars will melt dissipating the heat and seal the reactors at the top. The bottom is the big worry. If it gets down to a fresh pool of water then BOOM. No amount of concrete will stop the massive explosion.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
No-one has died as a result of this accident.

Unlike Deepwater.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I hope to god that doesn't happen

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We didn't have to Nuke Japan. All we had to do was wait 50 years and watch Japan nuke itself by their inaction. If one life is stopped because the Gov did things wrong they should be held accountable as murderers. The whole world has been screaming at them for weeks to do the right thing and be more forthcoming about what is happening. They should have listened.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Four reactors are gone...meltdown. Soon all the reactors will be gone. Tons of plutonium spewing radiation up into the atmosphere and into the jet steam...where it traveled around the whole world.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Four reactors are gone...meltdown. Soon all the reactors will be gone. Tons of plutonium spewing radiation up into the atmosphere and into the jet steam...where it traveled around the whole world.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeNF
reply to post by Red_xi

Yea, it's pretty bad. This has already been posted here,

abovetopsecret.com...

As there is an earlier thread about this topic, this thread is now

Closed.

top topics

join