It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Large Earthquakes Rock Japan Again - Heighten Nuclear Fears

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce did say Japan would fall into the ocean......

Mybe that faultline south of Japan, or on the southside of Japan is going to pop.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassp83
At what point do they stop calling them 'aftershocks' & start calling them earthquakes again?

VERY good question, imho.

Originally posted by onequestion
Edgar Cayce did say Japan would fall into the ocean......

Mybe that faultline south of Japan, or on the southside of Japan is going to pop.

Unfortunately, I think at least part of Japan "disappearing" is a good possibility. ...Not to mention the nuclear contamination pretty much destroying what's left of the nation.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
There are more quakes, many shallow and near Fukushima - but we're getting some reports.

Japan nuclear crisis: What's in the smoke emerging from Fukushima I?

Meltdown 101: A brief glossary of nuclear terms

National Geographic does the PR:
Pictures: A Rare Look Inside Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant.

Japan nuclear crisis still a serious concern

TOKYO – Tokyo residents were warned not to give babies tap water because of radiation leaking from a nuclear plant…

The U.N. atomic agency said there had been some positive developments at the Fukushima nuclear plant 250 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo but the overall situation remained serious. Some countries have started blocking imports of produce from Japan, fearful of radiation contamination.

...The plant, battered by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami that has left 23,000 people dead or missing, has still not been brought under control, and workers were forced away from the complex when black smoke began rising from one of its six reactors.

"… the overall situation remains of serious concern," Graham Andrew, a senior official of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), told a news conference.

Tokyo authorities said on Wednesday that water at a purification plant for the capital of 13 million people had 210 becquerels of radioactive iodine - more than twice the safety level for infants.

...The Japan disaster has dealt a blow to the nuclear power industry around the world. Italy became the latest nation to re-assess its program, announcing a one-year moratorium on site selection and building of plants.

…There are reports that dozens of survivors, mostly elderly, have died in hospitals and evacuation centers from a lack of proper treatment, or simply because of the cold.

Also see Reuters

www.huffingtonpost.com... " target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Japan Digs Mass Graves As Earthquake Crisis Continues

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Me and a friend of mine, who is a seismologist, have studied various pieces of data concerning the ongoing quakes. He thought that based on the data there could be a another powerful quake very soon followed by an encroaching mass approaching the shore. He showed me all of the data he had used to put 1 and 2 together and I had to agree he was probably right.We knew what would happen very soon and what the Japanese people could expect coming ashore........ Gowdziwah.....!!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I would not be taking too much notice about an article saying that the EU demands to know what the US are doing with HAARP when the eejits have an even bigger one themselves!! (Norway)

That reports smacks of forgery to me.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Apollumi

You are right and you are not right!

Yes there will probably be another big one within a month or so. Probably around an 8. The earthquakes may migrate towards the shore, although I actually doubt that, but if they do then they will be getting deeper and deeper as they will follow the subducting slab.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

There are two possibilities. The normal definition of aftershocks is earthquakes that occur after a big earthquake that are generally up to Magnitude 1.5 lower than the main shock, and that occur in greater frequency than the normal levels of activity for the area.

So, for example if an area normally has a few mag 4 quakes - say 3 a week, then if it has a bigger one - a 7 say, everything after that will be called an aftershock until it settles back to 3 or 4 mag 4 quakes a week. That can take months or even years and very occasionally decades.

Now if after that 7 there was another 7+ say a 7.5 then if it was close to the 7 that would become the main shock and the 7 would become a foreshock. This was the case in Japan which kicked off with a 7.2.

It also may be counted a a separate quake depending on time and distant from the first one,

edit on 23/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Sorry man, was actually doing a poor buildup for a Godzilla joke. Nuclear reactor, quakes at the reactor. Nudge nudge... But I don't mean to be insensitive.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

The March 2 near-miss asteroid was in 2009. It could not have had anything to do with the earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

The March 2 near-miss asteroid was in 2009. It could not have had anything to do with the earthquakes.

I was referring to 2011 EB74 on Mar 16 - small, only 18m but passing at 0.9 LD.

Ed. to ADD - sorry my bad. Seems I grabbed that one on the fly. Must stop posting whilst asleep!

edit on 24/3/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Posturing and credential waving aside, the point of this thread is:

Japan's already-damaged nuclear reactors are taking an ongoing beating. Especially the Fukushima plant. Some of the new quakes' aka aftershocks' epicenters are right there - and they are very shallow!

...so already damaged reactors are being stressed, pelted and battered again and again.

...Don't try and tell me that the cracks and fractures are not getting worse, fast. Or that the radiation leaks aren't compounded.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Another mag 6.5, and several almost right at the Fukushima plant (37N, 140E), 2 very shallow. I don't think those reactors can take much more battering.

6.5 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Magnitude Mw 6.5
Region NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Date time 2011-03-27 22:23:56.0 UTC
Location 38.40 N ; 142.12 E
Depth 6 km

2011-03-27 21:11:49.0 36.97N 140.90E 60 4.8 NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Magnitude mb 4.9
Region NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Date time 2011-03-27 15:17:45.0 UTC
Location 37.76 N ; 141.77 E
Depth 10 km