It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus Scanner!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi, I have had this 'false alert' twice now, the first time was over the weekend, and I just shrugged it off. I have just logged on to ATS and clicked on Recent posts, and it popped up again!!

It looks like one of them Anti virus 2009/2010 scams I had to deal with a while ago.I thought I would take a few grabs of this little pest.

I clicked close, and it went to this..

I opened Task Manager to see if it was running and found it was not listed.

I was going to post this thread last night, but it was late and I went to bed. Tonight I was on Zorgons Tibet Caves Thread and when I clicked back, it popped up again.

I have scanned with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and nothing shows up.

I have blocked the URL in Windows Firewall and Internet Options.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this fake Virus scanner while on ATS ??

edit on 22/3/2011 by lewtra because: Fix Pic

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have had this twice now, both times on ATS immediately after clicking to read the next page of the threads I was reading. I have full anti virus software up to date on my pc and it didn't pick it up at all, I ran a scan after it happened and still nothing showed up.
This has not happened on any other site i have visited.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by matrixdally

Same here, I have only had it on ATS. When I had the Anti Virus 2009/10 it actually downloaded onto my Hard Drive and I had to kill the process in Task manager, before I could deal with it..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
When these pop up, do not click "cancel" or "close". Instead, close the window by clicking the "x". These browse-by scare ware adds will open another window if you click their "close" or "cancel" buttons. The advice I give my clients is to force restart if all else fails.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Just shutdown your computer when the fake website comes up. Or you could just unplug your computer (not recommend).

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

i wouldnt even do that, i would press alt+f4 wich will close the active window.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I had this latch itself onto my computer last week ... even posted about it on another ATS thread. It actually installed itself on my computer (complete with desktop icon) and blocked my real antivirus software.

It eventually prevented me from accessing the internet ... so being pretty much computer illiterate I decided to try out a few different things using the 'trial and error' method of computer repair and eventually managed to get rid of it by resetting to 'default' followed by 'systems restore' ... and that finally got rid of it off my computer and it seems to have been running well since then.

Woody

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

It is not a problem getting rid of it, I have had a lot of practice. The problem is, it only pops up when on ATS, that is why I thought I would bring it to the attention of this site. Thanks for the tips, they could be useful to other members who might not know how to deal with it.

I hope a Mod could give us an explanation..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I just responded on a thread and the entire page jumped off the screen alerting me of a potential threat; my guess it is my McAfee detected something and blocked it. I hit page-back and returned to where I was, however, it does not mean there is not some sort of Malware/Ad placement going on. Shame shame shame! Like we have enough in this world to worry about!

I also noticed the overall "Look" to the site changed yesterday; a bit bigger/wider line spaces and fatter icons. It was more obvious yesterday.

Maybe this is the "other" ATS, the one we are not suppose to be in! LOL

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewtra
I hope a Mod could give us an explanation..

Yesterday I ran through every possible ad, from every ad network appearing on ATS, via an unprotected Windows laptop (seriously) and never encountered any problems.

We've had a few complaints of items like this, but don't have any data to try and track them down.

If you encounter something you think may help, a faster path to resolution is to create a complaint or send me a private message directly. Do not rely on us seeing threads like this... we may not.

(closing)

top topics

join