It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Picks Up Distress Signal From Doomed Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's a really cool story I just ran across

Recently the UK Ministry of Defence released to the National Archives the 7th batch of UFO Files.

Interestingly, One of those files features an article Published in the Weekly World News, (September 15, 1998 Vol 19 No. 51) with story about how NASA detected and decoded a mathematics based distress Signal from a doomed Planet outside our own Galaxy.

The signal was detected in January of 1998 however took many months to decode the message.

For your convenience the article has been transcribed:

Read the transcript here

the story doesnt go on to say just what was in that message...
right now I'm hunting for this so call translation or at least a copy of the received signal... who knows, maybe somethings there?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You did see "Weekly World News' in there right? You know "Bat Boy", etc...?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Considering that it came from Weekly World News, I wouldn't expect to find much truth in it.
But I guess you never know...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Interesting.

Never heard of this before. Wonder what it said?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Interestingly, One of those files features an article Published in the Weekly World News, (September 15, 1998 Vol 19 No. 51) with story about how NASA detected and decoded a mathematics based distress Signal from a doomed Planet outside our own Galaxy.

You may be interested in one of about half-a-dozen pages I've written about UFO stories in the Weekly World News, which includes some information from someone that used to work of the Weekly World News about how the stories were created...
edit on 22-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Finnaly weekly world news is putting out some truth based stories

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Ok, I'll bite.
I have no reason to believe anything published in the "Weekly World News".
However, I can't see an really good reason (other than as a joke), why somebody would have included that WWN article in an official UFO investigation file? I hope the UK didn't waste time trying to follow-up on every UFO or Alien reference in WWN?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This exact same story was linked in a thread already started last week that was sent to the Hoax bin:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Considering that, I think this thread may end up there, also.

edit on 3/22/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This reminds me of the movie MIB when they check the Hot Cheats (Weekly World News) for new alien activity.

Such credible reporting from them you know.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

So can anyone teach me the real Universal SOS sign

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
I hope the UK didn't waste time trying to follow-up on every UFO or Alien reference in WWN?

No, they didn't.

A considerable portion of the UFO files in England simply consist of material send in by members of the public.

Quite a few recent articles have highlighted the fact that this material is in the Ministry of Defence' files as if that indicates that the Ministry thought the item was credible. It means no such thing. It just means that they filed things that they received.

But you wouldn't get many views if you simply wrote an article entitled something like "Ministry of Defence kept material received from nutters : No action taken"

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Actually, WWN sounds like a fun place to work!
I want in!

link   
Reminds me of the episode of The X Files where Mulder searches through the 'tabloids' of paranormal garbage until he find a particular story that peaks his interest. Scully questions his judgement only to find out later that peticular story contained more truth then had anticipated.

link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
This exact same story was linked in a thread already started last week that was sent to the Hoax bin:

Don't worry about it, what makes ATS's hoax bin the authority on reality?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
What can I say? There source is the Weekly World News... King of Tabloids exaggerations and straight up BS...

This is the same tabloid that brought you bat boy and other such.... "stories"

Take a look at their page just to see how credible they are...

I particularly enjoy the article about Zombie Ants causing a zombie outbreak.... Or better! The one about Bigfoot becoming a business man and making it big in NYC....

weeklyworldnews.com...

This story you link in the OP, is every bit as credible as Bigfoot making it big as a business man....
edit on 22-3-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Remember the good old days of going through the grocery store checkout lines and seeing all those fun stories about Bat Boy and how they found a Chevy truck in orbit with the engine running? Now we have to look at the random celebrities of the month and who had a baby. Its a shame. I missed those old magazines even though they were completely made up.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's too bad that the source for this story was a tabloid newspaper.

It could have been quite an amazing story if it originated directly from the UK Ministry Of Defense.

Also, it would appear that this story was already posted before and has been relegated to the [HOAX] section.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
Remember the good old days of going through the grocery store checkout lines and seeing all those fun stories about Bat Boy and how they found a Chevy truck in orbit with the engine running? Now we have to look at the random celebrities of the month and who had a baby. Its a shame. I missed those old magazines even though they were completely made up.

I liked the ones that read "Aliens give stock tips... really funny stuff... ya know i should have bought that stock too
who knew Intel would become big biz back in the early 80S?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkk

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Don't worry about it, what makes ATS's hoax bin the authority on reality?

Nothing. However the fact that the Weekly World News is the only source for this story makes me 99.9% sure they (or someone else) made it up.

And to answer the question someone asked earlier about "why would the MoD investigate this if it didn't have merit", but is there actual evidence that the MoD actually DID release a document that referenced the 1998 WWN article.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Firstly

The poster of the article starts with a disclaimer:

"We do not claim to confirm nor deny the credibility of the article."

Secondly:

"The Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 Million Light Years from Earth."

They claim the radio message is 80,000 Years Old.

Someone failed maths.

Thirdly:

If this was remotely true there is no way in hell NASA or the MOD would have let us know about it.
edit on 22/3/11 by TristanC because: Spelling Corrections

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join