It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Candidate Herman Cain Turns His Back on the African-American Community

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
The last time I did my taxes, anyone who makes above $8,500 per year (the standard deduction) pays taxes. I'm poor and I have to pay taxes; I understand the Republicans want to raise more taxes on me.

If 47% of the population pays no taxes, as you say, we are a damn poor country.

It's a wonder there hasn't been a revolution.

I am guessing this was more directed at me. As I was the one that stated that 47% essentially don't pay taxes. Since comprehension is lacking for many (and no, I am not directing at anyone person and especially not you Sestias) I will explain what is meant by such.

That 47% do fall under a tax bracket and have money withheld from their paychecks. SSI, Medicare, FICA...the whole 9-yards. They pay into the system accordingly.

Where they essentially pay no taxes is in the form of tax-breaks, credits, etc. That 47% of people in the lowest tax bracket are actually a negative return on federal taxes received. The Federal Government pays those 47% more than they put in. So they are essentially not paying taxes. Sure the money goes out, but the mindset is always "I am getting money back from the government".

So in truth it is surprising their is not rioting or revolution of some sorts. When the government subsidies the bottom 47% to the point of where they would have to make a large leap in annual income to even hope to make out as they did with a lower paying job it is wrong. Just as it is wrong for the government to subsidies the upper 1% income bracket.

But this is the intended consequence of a progressive income tax system. It allows the government to pick and choose the winners and losers. It hands all the power into the hands of the federal government and we are none the wiser.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Actually, my last post was directed at a person who asked why I dwell on color.

But to address your last post:

47% is almost half the country. If half the country is so poor they get federal assistance that says something about our society, doesn't it?

I think it says that the middle class is disappearing and people are now either very, very rich or very poor.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

My apologies and I see your line now. I was seeing the 47% as my response to the other poster.

It does, but where is it stemming from? We essentially have two camps in regard to the situation. Some believe and I am with them that the collusion of governments meddling in a free market based economy; where winners and loser are chosen by powers other than the free choices of individuals creates such conditions.

The government should only be there to ensure a level playing field and not to create and manipulate that playing field so their friends or their political careers are furthered. This is what is in play today. We have bills that favor larger multinational corporations that make it nearly cost prohibitive for newer, better competition to enter the market. We have 'credits' in our tax code that encourage and prolong the lower percentile of income earners to not strive for more.

This is why I could never argue that we have a free market, because it hardly is except on the smallest levels in which we operate.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join