It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Iran Unveils Flying Saucer" : Zohal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
In the last few hours, a few websites have published stories with headlines such as "Iran Unveils Flying Saucer".

For example, the Fars News Agency has published:

english.farsnews.com...

Iran Unveils Flying Saucer

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran unveiled a home-made unmanned flying saucer as well as a light sports aircraft in an exhibition of strategic technologies.

The unmanned flying saucer, named "Zohal", was unveiled in a ceremony attended by Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei.

Zohal, designed and developed jointly by Farnas Aerospace Company and Iranian Aviation and Space Industries Association (IASIA), can be used for various missions, specially for aerial imaging.

I'm fairly sure the photo that accompanies the above article is merely a stock photo of a UFO used to illustrate their article. However, I'm not sure if the photo used to accompany a similar article on the ISNA website shows the real thing or not. An enlargement of that photo can be seen here:
www.isna.ir...

The article on the ISNA website includes the following:
www.isna.ir...

TEHRAN (ISNA)-Iranian aerospace scientists have built an unmanned flying saucer.

The flying saucer (cuadrotour) called "Saturn" (Zohal in Persian) was unveiled in the exhibition of strategic technologies with the presence of Islamic Revolution Commander-in-Chief Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei.

The device belonging to the new generation of vertical flyers is designed for aerial photography.

The reference in the article on the ISNA website to a "flying saucer (cuadrotour)" (and the photo that illustrates that article) suggests that the relevant "flying saucer" is a probably just a quadrotor drone, along the lines of the German one shown in the video below:

While looking into quadrotor drones, I came across a related video entitled "Alien Jump Jet the coolest new aircraft" which I thought some of you might enjoy. It is embedded below.

I think quadrotors probably need to be added to the (already very long) list of mundane objects which can cause UFO reports (or be used when hoaxing UFO videos).

By the way, Irans seem to do a very good job of getting publicity for its unmanned aircraft and drones. Last year there was news coverage of the unveiling of an unmanned bomber when it was dubbed the "Ambassador Of Death" by Ahmadinejad:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 16-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
they already sell the ar drone that can be controlled by an iphone ;-)
www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by welshbeliever because: add link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshbeliever
they already sell the ar drone that can be controlled by an iphone ;-)
www.youtube.com...

THanks for the link.

I'll embed the video below:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Skynet anyone?

Is it just me or does the flying saucer not look so flying saucerish?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's an RC helicopter. A high end one yes, but it's just a radio controlled chopper. I actually have 2 myself, tiny indoors ones though, fun to fly but they break instantly. right around the time you learn to adjust the spin is when your rotor breaks.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
We wouldn't be able to hoax UFO sightings with these because we'd know where this craft came from... Everybody will remember that the craft in the hoaxed video is the craft that Iran made, therefore it's not Unidentified. Epic fail, OP, sorry lol

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
We wouldn't be able to hoax UFO sightings with these because we'd know where this craft came from... Everybody will remember that the craft in the hoaxed video is the craft that Iran made, therefore it's not Unidentified. Epic fail, OP, sorry lol

Seeing as how lots of people here on ATS keep posting the same videos over and over even after it has been found it was a hoax, i can see how we may end up in that same situation with this new crafts. Just look at the last couple weeks and you will see plenty or reposts of the same video, every time with the usual initial sentences "i didn't find it after a search, so here it is" and so on..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
We wouldn't be able to hoax UFO sightings with these because we'd know where this craft came from...

I think you are being unrealistically optimistic.

Heck, some hoaxed "UFO" videos have simply used a remote control ITSELF (not a remote controlled plane/helicopter).

Not only are common types of hoax not recognised, even ones that have been repeatedly shown to be a lot of bunk are still posted here repeatedly.

In one recent case, a video was posted in about 10 new threads in the space of two weeks - with few people seeming to remember that it had been posted already (and fewer still able to find the earlier threads)...

edit on 16-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Who says the Iranians don't have a sense of humor?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24b32882e96c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Who says the Iranians don't have a sense of humor?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/24b32882e96c.jpg[/atsimg]

Slayer, you're killing me.

Genius -- you get the "well played, sir" award!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Although I have no idea as to how real or un-real the article is. I do believe that assuming exotic means of travel are limited only to the domain of a few nations to be quite limiting in ones approach to the who, why and where when hunting down secret projects.

All it takes is one brilliant idea and some resources which funnily enough...A lot of Nations have brilliant thinkers and resources.

Just my 2c, and in no way whatsoever meant as a pot stirring comment. We gotta keep our feelers looking out all around the marble for clues

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Apparently,you have to wear special "They Live" glasses to be able to see the ufos,as they are sooo high tech:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
I'm fairly sure the photo that accompanies the above article is merely a stock photo of a UFO used to illustrate their article. However, I'm not sure if the photo used to accompany a similar article on the ISNA website shows the real thing or not. An enlargement of that photo can be seen here:
www.isna.ir...

While a few websites/blogs have assumed that the photo accompanying the article on the ISNA website (i.e. the photo at the link in the quote above) shows the new Iranian Zohal "Flying Saucer", the SUAS News website identifies that photo as being of a Canadian DraganFlyer X6 :
www.suasnews.com...

It's been assuming to see how many people have assumed that images accompanying the various articles show the real thing.

The DraganFlyer's official website is at:
www.draganfly.com...

So, it remains unclear to me whether anyone has made available on the Internet any images of the new Iranian Zohal "Flying Saucer".

edit on 17-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The Daily Mail newspaper in England has now picked up on this story:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

We've built a flying saucer, boasts Iran (even if it does look like it belongs in a 1950s B-movie)

Iran today boasted that it has built the world’s first flying saucer
Called the Zohal - or Saturn in English - it said the unmanned spaceship is designed for 'aerial imaging' but added it can be used for 'various missions'.

It was unveiled by the country's offically sanctioned media on the same day it claimed to have launched a rocket into orbit with a test capsule capable of carrying a monkey into space.

The hardline Fars news agency illustrated its story with a photo of a flying saucer, akin to one appearing in a 1950s Hollywood B-movie, hovering over an unidentified wooded landscape

The reports gave no indication of the spaceship’s size. But they indicated it was small by claiming, somewhat bizarrely, that it can also fly indoors.

It's fun to watch the distortions of reality increase with each repetition of the story...

The Zohal has now become a "spaceship"!
edit on 17-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Hi Isaac, I started a thread on this today but the search feature never pointed me to your thread.

I have linked to it now so members can join this discussion.

Cheers.

ps...not very "saucer" shaped is it?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Hi Isaac

I believe the pic that farsnews and dailymail.co.uk are using is a slightly stretched version of this: www.allvoices.com...
It says it was posted 11 months ago, and there's about 8 pages of results on Tin Eye for it, no clue which is the original though.

edit on 17-3-2011 by freelance_zenarchist because: ♥ ♥ ♥

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
I believe the pic that farsnews and dailymail.co.uk are using is a slightly stretched version of this: www.allvoices.com...
It says it was posted 11 months ago, and there's about 8 pages of results on Tin Eye for it, no clue which is the original though.

Thanks freelance_zenarchist.

My TinEye plugin for Firefox hasn't worked in the last few days, since I updated Firefox and changed a few options. I really need to get it working again. Since coming across TinEye recently, I've found it a great tool for this sort of thing.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Apparently,you have to wear special "They Live" glasses to be able to see the ufos,as they are sooo high tech:

What, you can't see it?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
A flying saucer is a disc shaped craft that uses electromagnetic levitation and propulsion to fly.
It is highly doubtful this is what this article refers to, probably more hype about a remote controlled mini helicopter.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Tin Eye is great. I didn't get any results when I searched for the Fars News pic (the streched version), but I got 8 pages of results for the original version. I wonder if that's because of a limitation of the software or if it's just because Tin Eye hadn't gotten around to collecting that image in it's search yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join