It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is British Culture?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by syntheticbutterfly

Yes but you are referring to a certain class of British people - believe me we are not all like that!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Britain was a proud country, with a belief to help others in need, with great men like Isambard kingdom Brunnel, Churchill, Stephenson, Drake, Shakespear, Elgar, McCartney & Lennon, Cromwell, Darwen.

Now we have slightly lost are way abit and seem more happy sitting by doing nothing maybe drinking earl gray, living off the government, while the country falls apart around us.

We Were Once Great Britain,

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Well, what class is that? The people who live in Spain class?
As I say I know not everyone is like that, but enough to make it shameful and disgusting to be considered British. I have to use my bloody British passport as ID every time I pay for something by debit card and it's so embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

What is British Culture?

An oxymoron.

Off-limits to common folk.

Iconic among Natives, laughable among the (former) colonies.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

We term them as chavs here... the minority of British people who go abroad and shame the rest of us

Even wikipedia has an entry for them:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

PS why do you need to show your passport everytime you need to pay for something - ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

My Parents live most of the year in Spain and dont really speak Spanish. They are a bit old and stuck in their ways and are probably cocooned in their little culture they have out there. In their defense they both worked extremely hard all their lives and were very prudent with their money (must have skipped a generation with me and my bro) and my dad needs the sunlight for his mental health, they also provide a lot of income for the spanish economy. The place my parents live used to be known as the armpit of Spain, now their are a load of british pensioners with nice pensions to spend in the shops and on their houses. They also hold a lot of charity events for the local church and hospices so they try in some ways, but not in others.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

But aprt from the drinking culture(which I do see middle aged people getting into here) much of the stuff that offends me about the Brits is done by "nice" "middle class" people. Its just this whole culture of "if you can get away with it". For example - I know of a couple in their 50s who run illegal taxi services, while he claims sickness benefits from the UK. They are not unique in any way.

I have to show my passport because I haven't got any other photo ID!! For some reason the Spanish residents certificate doesn't have a photo.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by DisbeIief
Moaning and queuing pretty much sums us up. That and our dislike of everybody else.

i think the moaning and dislike of everyone is a bit of a scouse thing.. brits in general are very accepting of other people and cultures..
i think its a shame though we have lost alot of our culture in the last 10 years or so, with multiculturalism and political correctness.. we cant even fly our own flag in england anymore,

the 90's though that was different, thats when we were proud to be british!!

You're right in what you say... I dont feel English and I'm not sure what being British truly means. However, I am scouse. I have an identity and a feeling of self worth that stops at the Liverpool city limits. When I see the Liver Bird and feel the cool breeze sweeping in off the Mersey I know I'm home and feel like I belong. As far as I'm concerned there is no where else in Britain that has their own identity quite in the way that we do. It may be the Irish influence, the fact that for years the rest of so called Britain looked down on us and saw us as second class citizens, or maybe it's because us scousers are returning the favour that the rest of the UK dealt out to us for the best part of fifty years and are turning our collective backs on you... Which ever it is, I don't consider myself English or British. I'm scouse and proud of it... Sorry if that upsets any little Englanders or overly patriotic Brits out there.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I am sure if HMRC catch up with them they will get their comuppance (sp?), however with the incompetencies of this government these people will probably continue to get away with things like that

But I do know what you mean there seems to be another set of people that do not want to pay their way, and seem to think it is some sort of game to con the HMRC out of some money

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I am proud to be English! but our country is going down the sh**ter with all the health and safety maddness. In my hometown when it rains we have what we call a wet day race were everyone in the community runs threw the streets it sounds quite silly but it is actually really fun. But the council sent a health inspector to inspect the roads and called it of because it was too wet ITS A F**KIN WET DAY RACE and also had the hanging baskets removed from the streetlights incase someone banged their heads!!

And no i think that the traditional British culture has gone and has been replace with Knife weilding pot heads who have nothing better to do than rob petrol stations, murder each other and put cats in bins.

news.bbcimg.co.uk...
edit on 17-3-2011 by icedancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well as I'm feeling belligerent today

I notice a few of the negative comments coming from Americans. a country so lacking in culture of any kind that they wouldn't recognise it if it sat on their plastic lawn chair wearing a pair of $5 wallmart fake leather boots eating a McDonalds and singing Yanky doodle dandy

Lets see a few things that British culture is good for.
Fashion
Some of the worlds most famous fashion designers are from the UK and far from being from the elite they are from the working classes, Alexander McQueen being the son of a taxi driver
Alexander McQueen
Paul Smith
John Galliano
Christopher Bailey
Julien Macdonald
Vivienne Westwood

Music
A lot of the worlds most famous bands hail from this tiny damp island including
Beatles
Stones
PinkFloyyd
Muse
Sex Pistols
Cold Play
Artic Monkeys
RadioHead
Stereophonics
Oasis......
I couldn't complete this list if I had 100 years and a whole forums worth of space

Art...
Some of the worlds most respected modern artists are also British and again not from the rich upper classes
people like
Tracy Emin
Damien Hirst
Banksy

I could go on to include. Actors, Writers, Directors and more or less every single creative field in the whole of the universe which is more or less infested with brits.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Britain is a now a Isle full of gelded lions ruled over by sheep with delusions of grandeur.

<< 1   >>

join