It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your take on Battle of LA Movie?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Bah, it saddens me that this movie is getting bad reviews. I'm REALLY craving a good UFO/ conspiracy movie that makes me at least think... Hey, maybe that could be possible. Most current movies are over produced and poorly made.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
It is what it is. It's not Black Swan or an artsy, intellectual movie that will stay with you for days but you know that going in right? For what it is, I found it entertaining however a little long. I was getting that 'let's wrap it up' feeling 45 minutes before it was over.

If you know what you're going in for, as many have said the almost down right campy dialog - you'll have a good time snickering to yourself throughout the movie. The best line in the movie:

"I think I can help, I'm a veteneraian" I thought I was going to fall out of my chair laughing!!

For those with conspiracy minds (whaaa? around here?
) could there possibly be one of those illuminati-we-must-disclose-to-the-public-our-next-evil-deed moments? The dow down 4k points & an alien invasion? August should be a fun month!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I personally didn't like it, total waste of my time and money.

Some things you could see happening a mile away, most of it was absolutely dull. The only parts I really enjoyed were the streets (with the dog near the start) and when they finally get back to the FOB

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The story is uninspired and predictable. I agree with the shaky cam comment. I hate shaky cams.

The action scenes were ok but in the end it's always too easy for the humans to prevail. That such an advanced race of beings, able to travel billions of miles with advanced tech, should be so vulnerable is too unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
There is a Syfy film titled "Battle of Los Angeles" and the one that came out in theaters is "Battle: Los Angeles" and I am guessing this thread is about the latter. I'm going to assume that anyone that was really interesting in seeing this film has already seen it or doesn't mind reading spoilers.

If you don't wish to read spoilers please disregard this post!

Aaron Eckhart is a fine actor, but the character he plays in this film is terribly cliche. (Pre-Movie) He led a squad of marines into battle where they got killed, he is haunted by their deaths and is reluctant to lead again (but of course he has to). And the brother of one of the new marines happened to be part of that group that lost their lives, so there is obvious animosity between the new marine and Aaron Eckhart's character. I've seen this so many times in movies that I was wanting to throw up.

Michelle Rodriguez is once again the go-to person for the tough, feminist type character. Will she ever play any other role?

The movie starts out introducing us to WAY too many characters. I can't be forced to remember or care about eight different people right off the bat, half of whom get no further character development anyways.

The aliens looked fine, I have no complaints on their design. However, from what we see from them they only really appear to be a century or so more scientifically advanced which seems unreasonable, but I guess we need some chance to win. The aliens didn't appear to have any weapons more devastating than making cars jump in the air.

The movie ends with the main characters destroying the alien control center in LA that causes all the alien drone jets to fall from the sky and the end of the battle of LA. Like most alien invasion movies, it has you asking "And then what!?", we don't know if the cities elsewhere in the world were victorious or not. The aliens could have seen how we won in LA and put up a better defense everywhere else. And then do they have another wave of forces waiting in the ocean or on their way through space? How arrogant were these aliens to attack us with weapons that we can pretty much already make and not have a back-up plan?

If you're into disaster type movies like 2012, you will probably enjoy this film. It has a lot of fun destruction and action scenes, but otherwise has pretty poor writing and is not anything special.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm actually surprised by the negative comments this film has attracted. I really enjoyed it and will happily give it a 2nd viewing on blu-ray.

The water thing actually makes sense, as they mention in the film, the earth is a prime resource for water. If you're an alien race that needs water to survive, but your own planet has become dry then your options are gonna be very limited.

Originally posted by 5thousandfathomsdeep
at the end of the movie, 7 marines single handedly destroyed a HUGE ET "control centre"..im gonna call impossible on this one, obviously one RPG won't take out a ufo thats miles and miles across.
the only credit i will give the movie is that the effects were cool, thats it. nothing else
-tyson

In the movies defense, the marines didn't single handily destroy the control centre, they used a laser to guide a missile onto a key part of the structure that was certainly huge but my no means miles and miles across.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I ment to say this before. A couple of months ago I this and other related videos surfaced
UFO Sighting
It was supposed to be a viral ad campaign for this film, or at least that what I heard, yet I saw no connection to this when I went to see it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I know it's been out for awhile, but I finally saw it last night for six bucks.

My take on it is that it's a lot of fun as a conventional Marines in action, shoot 'em up. Many times during the movie, I thought I was watching a Marines recruitment film.

The other thought that crossed my mind is that this kind of film says to the rest of the world (yes, the world will see it through some foreign theaters as well as international DVD release) like, you know, don't mess with the USA because as you can see, our Marines are bad ass and determined to kill. So like, if there's any conspiratorial propaganda message in this movie, it's telling the rest of the world that the USA can still kick ass so don't get any big ideas about us being weak or anything.

So much of the plot and dialogue are so corny you do feel like laughing, but I enjoyed the heck out of it and would definitely see it again on DVD and it's one of those I'm glad I saw on the big screen. Hey, if you're in the mood for an action flick, go see it on the big screen and have fun. It's very satisfactory on that level.

O.K., so there are some really stupid things about it. As others have said, these aliens appear to have technology that's only about 100 years ahead of ours (truth be told, in real life the secret technology defense wise would probably blow our minds literally and figuratively). So, the fact that they are not very much more advanced makes it a fight, otherwise we would be toast if the "hostiles" were like 1,000 years ahead of us.

The thing about them wanting to take over Earth for the water is really dumb. Any astronomer or cosmologist can tell you the universe is full of water and/or the chemicals to make it. There are many trillions of tons of ice all over the galaxy. So, these aliens can't melt ice?

I've also got this thing about all the aliens in all the movies have to be gooey for some reason I don't understand. What's up with that? Couldn't they just for once not be gooey and sticky and slimy? Just once? I guess not.

The taller ones, the so-called "leaders" of these aliens kind of dance around like puppets on strings, not very convincing.

Aliens would at least have infrared technology, which means no marine could hide from them because of the heat signature of the human body. Cops use this all the time when they search an area by chopper for a criminal on the run. The aliens should at least have the same technology as the Fort Worth Police Department. You would think.

The Staff Sergeant's pep talk to the little boy whose Dad just died --- that's straight out of the John Wayne scene in the old movie THE GREEN BERETS. So that was like basically stolen from an earlier movie.

Look, here's the bottom line --- if hostile aliens invade our planet to colonize, all of the armed forces in the world will be paralyzed and neutralized. We will not be technologically capable of doing anything to stop them. If they want to make slaves out of us, they will, no problem. If they want to populate Earth with ten billion hybrids, they will, no problem. They wouldn't even have to blow up anything or set anything on fire to kill all humans if that's the plan. Real aliens would not be anything we could fight or battle. Our technology is 150 more advanced than the Civil War days. Not very advanced.

Bottom line --- this is a very entertaining movie if you want to see shoot 'em up action. I kind of wish the thing was about America being invaded by Chinese or Russians (like RED DAWN) because it would have been much more believable. Would I recommend it? Yes! It's just plain fun!

Oh yeah, one more thing... the scene where the Sarge proves that he's memorized all the dog tag numbers of all his unit's men who did not make it back from combat in the Middle East ----- that has to be one of the silliest things in the history of cinema. Ask any veteran if he memorized the dog tag numbers of his buddies who died in action and I'll bet he looks at you very puzzled and says "Huh??? What????" Totally ridiculous.
edit on 12-4-2011 by switching yard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sid1314

Have you just given away the end of the movie???

Can't stand that crap.

Edit: Watching it now, and it seems heavily based on the "Resistance" game series. There is even a billboard advertising Resistance 3.

It's an unlicenced game adaptation.
edit on 13-4-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Wouldn't let me edit again.

It's pretty good overall, no conspiracies it didn't even feel like a recruitment film to me.

It's just what a likely scenario if we were attacked by hostile aliens might be like.

I can't believe that guy spoiled the ending though, there are many ways to hide and notify of spoilers. Learn them, use them, dick.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i know i'm jumping into this thread a month late, but yes.... WATER?!!? ummm... are not a million planets out there nearly frozen to their core? wouldn't it be easier for them to not worry about a planet with some idiots running around with god complex's and nuclear weapon trigger fingers... why don't the grey just take their weapons to a planet that is made up of nearly all frozen water, like say saturn? and just use some super heat ray to melt it and WHAM you got your water, much more i'm sure than they could even find on this decaying planet, again, thanks to the idiots running around claiming every piece of dirt and thinking they can own it? don't even get me started with all the logistical errors with "owning" a piece of earth... but yeah, water water water...
excellent cg though no doubt, and although 10 minutes short of 2 hours obviously being no where near epic in length, the battles were quite epic... the cast... dear someone, they could have done so much better by picking a bunch of newbies... you know like twilight, and look at all those unknowns now! anyhoo, if you like alien movies, it is worth seeing... maybe

edit on 21-4-2011 by schitzoandro because: grammatical

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter
So should I drag the family to go see it or wait for Netflix?

Wait for Netflix.
Allthough, as all big scene views. It is better on a big screen.
But in this case, it is not worth it.

(PS. Jurassic Park though, is a big screen film. The T-rex peeking thru the window, does not make anyone scared on a small TV-screen, hihihi..)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
Great for what it was. Loved it.

Agree 100%

I didn't go into it looking for any real life differences or conspiracy/propaganda. I just took it as a sci fi alien invasion movie and really enjoyed it.

If you go to the movie theater looking for truth you'll always be disappointed...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join