It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLS Season Kicks off tonight, does anyone care?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I have a feeling that this thread is going to sink faster than Obamas approval rating but I figured I'd give it a go. I'm a huge soccer fan. Played all through my years growing up until my mid twenties and still to this day watch at least a few games a week from the various leagues worldwide and put some time in on FIFA 11 for my PC.

Well tonight the American league better known as the MLS Kicks off at 9:30pm eastern time when The L.A. Galaxy and the Seattle Sounders kick off in Seattle. Seattle and L.A. are quite possibly the two best teams in the league and this will be a rematch of last years championship game which Seattle won in a Shootout.

Now I know that soccer will never attain the level here in the US that it has worldwide and I'm fine with that, however for those detractors have you ever really given it a proper chance? Maybe my love stems from the fact that I grew up in Pittsburgh and we had the Pittsburgh Spirit in the 80's or maybe its just because I've always gravitated towards the other option, however I implore all of you sports fans out there to give it a go sooner than later and if The NCAA tourney games tonight aren't quenching your thirst tune to the ESPNs and give the world of Football ............ sorry Soccer a chance.

I admit while it can be trying and tedious at times even to a fan like me when played fluidly and technically it truly lives up to its label "The Beautiful game".

Until then feel free to share your love/hate for my most favorite sport. Any input as to why you like/dislike, hate/love or other the worlds most popular game would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody

That is all.

edit on 15/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling as per usual

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Soccer is not up in the American sporting circuit I'd say it is like number 7. However I like soccer and played but There are like i said about seven above soccer for americans.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Nope, don't care!

But I'm that way about any sports... just never caught my attention...

But unlike most people who dont enjoy sports, I can fully support anyone's love for sports... so you will get no hate out of me!!!! to each their own

Hope you enjoy the season!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

I'm not sure what soccer has to do with conspiracies or normal content found on this site, but I'm a HUGE fan and play 3 or 4 times a week myself. After getting into it more and more, I find it more exciting and intriguing then football (American).

Maybe if the NFL continues it's lock out, people will actually get interested in the sport.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by directrKAB

Well don't quote me on this but I believe the sports, entertainment and some other threads not sure which ones 100% are considered "below top secret". I guess the creators of the boards realized the importance of discussing more then just politcal issues, conspiracies etc in order to stop from driving oneself batty. Howeve my guess is speculative as I do not wish to speak for anyone else.

Thanks everyone for your input so far (3 posts and no flaming yet) I am amazed and impressed

GO L.A

That is all.
edit on 15/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling as per usual

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Huge fan, however, I prefer world class football and spend most of my time absorbing the Premiership. With regards to the MLS, I'm looking forward to the Vancouver Whitecaps kicking off their inaugural season, they have a great program there and will thrive at this level of competition. Soccer is the most universal and beautiful game on earth, played everywhere, which is shear beauty in itself. I don't understand how Americans are so into Football..it's just soo slow and full of juiced up gangsters (Baseball is also a very drawn out and slow sport). Probably because there is a whistle every 10 seconds giving the over sized country a chance to dip a chip and not pay that much attention. Soccer is a game of complex and technical intelligence (the Chess of the sports world) combined with athleticism and a flare for the dramatic. I really don't think Americans can really comprehend a sport of this caliber; I remember years ago when they began showing more televised hockey games in the states and the network had to actually highlight the puck because Americans couldn't follow it! That is utterly hilarious! Hockey is the greatest sport on earth; it is the fastest contact sport in the world where warriors battle in an endless medium of creativity and at stunning velocities. Baseball, Basketball, and Football players break a nail or finger and they are out for weeks. A hockey player wouldn't dare bail on his team if this happened, they'd be out the next shift working just as hard. It's understood in the culture of hockey that players take great pride in knowing they are the toughest athletes in the world while maintaining high fitness standards. A guy gets cut in a Baseball game and that's it for his night; in hockey, you get stitched up on the bench or in the locker room and head back out. But I digress...I'll surely be following the MLS this season.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I would watch more if you guys were in a different time zone or even if it was on TV here but it's not and you aint so I don't.

Still....

GO TORONTO FC!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
I would watch more if you guys were in a different time zone or even if it was on TV here but it's not and you aint so I don't.

Still....

GO TORONTO FC!

espn.go.com... ESPN streaming site. (Hope I'm allowed to post this)

That may possibly help with the viewing as I know that it is a free service on many a net provider here in the states and abroad. However it sadly will still do nothing to help with your time zone problem.

Jeez folks are going to start thinking I work for ESPN.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
L.A. thorugh a rather unexpected shot & goal by Brazilian midfiledser Juninho in the 58th minute of play overcame Seattle 1-0 in front of a 36,000 strong crowd at Seattles Qwest field . in the debut game forthe 2011 MLS season. Being as it is the start of the season the game left a little to be desired however it was entertaining for the most part, and chalk-full of action. As I noted earlier Seattle and L.A are two of the leagues best teams and wil meet again later in the 34 game long season. The first full day of action for the league is on Saturday with the rest of the leagues 16 teams kicking off.

Only time will tell but I expect big things from the upcoming MLS season. I was thinking of using this thread as a weekly review/recap page but I don't know if the mods would admire my passion or get mad at me for using up bandwith to talk to myself. only time will tell.

That is all and thanks for reading.

Trowa Barton

top topics

join