It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Just coming in over NHK... will provide source links when available...

Low-Enriched Uranium Fuel in this one.

Report delayed for two hours...
edit on 14-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

edit on 15-3-2011 by Gazrok because: adding update

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Reuters Tweeted this 6 minutes ago:

Reuters Reuters Top News
FLASH: Explosion heard at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi No.2 reactor: Jiji News Agency

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That's not good,.. Things seem to be going downhill fast over there. I see BBC now reporting a meltdown alert. Quote ' International nuclear watchdogs said there was no sign of a meltdown but one minister said a melting of rods was 'highly likely' to be happening' It's getting very worrying now!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Kyodo News also has it on its live feed

BREAKING NEWS: Blast heard at 6:10 a.m. at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't
source

God how completely depressing this whole affair has been

edit on 14/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Just when you thought the SHTF. Then you pondered some more on S hitting the fan. Then finally again, TSHTF. This situation gets worse day by day and I hope nothing more serious comes out of this

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
3rd one is the charm

or is it 3 strikes and were out

let's say that there is a bigger problem, if the government of Japan or USA says that there is a big threat with radiation, it would cause a mass hysteria, right?

link   
It's called MOX fuel contains Plutonium,, came from France a little while back,, remember the protests,, but hey money and force and all the rest,, kind of ironic isn't it
Ohhh and its been blowing around for days now,, plutonium from ALL those nuclear warheads, they dismantled,well a guys got too make abuck somehow,, lol they cut their own throats,

link   
this just gets worse and worse. please let that be the end of all the earthquakes and nuclear meltdowns!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thanks for source links, ATS'ers...

This Reactor is similar in design to Fukushima One reactor, the first to explode- let's watch for a video/photo link so we can get an idea of the damage.

Three down- and how many more to go?
edit on 14-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
BBC news channel ticker reports of explosion at reactor number 2!

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 14-3-2011 by scobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
It's called MOX fuel contains Plutonium,, came from France a little while back,, remember the protests,, but hey money and force and all the rest,, kind of ironic isn't it
Ohhh and its been blowing around for days now,, plutonium from ALL those nuclear warheads, they dismantled,well a guys got too make abuck somehow,, lol they cut their own throats,

I thought the MOX fuel was in No3 reactor?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The emergency cooling efforts with sea water are failing. This is going to get real bad, real quick. God be with them.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Skynews

Japan asking for US help, since the containment around the reactor is damaged. The front page said Japan was asking for US help to prevent a US designed reactor from melting down.

The plea comes after water levels were restored in the ailing reactor, but the fuel rods remained partially exposed and at risk of overheating. The appeal for help comes as the the Japanese government confirmed that part of the container housing the troubled nuclear reactor appears to be damaged.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

Originally posted by BobAthome

I thought the MOX fuel was in No3 reactor?

You are correct. MOX in reactor 3, uranium fuel in reactors 1 and 2.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
# BREAKING NEWS: Some workers begin to evacuate No. 2 reactor: TEPCO (08:25)

# BREAKING NEWS: Radiation tops legal limit after blast heard at Fukushima nuke plant (08:16)

# BREAKING NEWS: Suppression pool may have been damaged at No. 2 reactor: gov't agency (08:07)

Kyodo News
edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My Japanese family lives south of the reactors, and wishes me to extend thanks for getting the story out.

While we wait for video/pics, I am going to research more on the status of the expended fuel cooling pools which were designed by GE-USA to sit ON TOP of the reactors...

NHK Live

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
prayers goin' out to japan right now.

would also like to add whoever decided to flood the reactors with seawater is an ejit, as shown in many a chernoby documentary, the nuclear fuel would cause an explosion if it reacted with water, which is why they sent in a team to concrete off the reactor at any cost, literally.

ed: watching CNN, evacuation area is increased to 20km
edit on 14-3-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
My Japanese family lives south of the reactors, and wishes me to extend thanks for getting the story out.

While we wait for video/pics, I am going to research more on the status of the expended fuel cooling pools which were designed by GE-USA to sit ON TOP of the reactors...

NHK Live

I'm going to say a prayer for them, and all of the people of Japan right now.

TEOTWAWKI indeed.

ETA: I found this live Tokyo Geiger Counter at Ustream. It's a pretty cool tool to have IMO:
www.ustream.tv...
edit on 3/14/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It might take a while to get images for this one-- I'm a helicopter pilot, and I know I wouldn't go near it for an evening news shot.

We might get satellite views first...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is what CNN is reporting on their website. No link to the story yet though.

An "explosive impact" occurred at the No. 2 reactor at a quake-damaged nuclear power plant in Japan, plant's owner says.

Exactly what is an "explosive impact"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join