It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North A. West Coast lifestyle once the Radiation comes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm not and expert.
I'm not someone who's going read things i don't understand.

Radiation is something that mutates cells, and can cause cancers, and basically ruin a healthy person just by being in proximity.

My father is Russian and tells me how the people in Chernobyl lasted.
Russia kept quiet for 10 days or so, and Japan is downsizing this event.

The truth is, i'm young and i have a lifetime to live. I don't want to take a chance like this, because the world has not seen many nuclear meltdowns, but we've seen what they've done. And it's certinally not gone away or anything...

I have some questions for people. You might not be experts, but perhaps you've read something i have not.

Will the radiation be absorbed into certian things, if it comes, and how radioactive will those things be?

If i live on the West Coast, what kind of imported food could i get that would be generally organic, and has not been affected by the radiation? (I've thought lobsters, since

If the radiation isn't absorbed by anything, when will it be gone? - Or at general not worry levels lol.

I asked around and couldn't find thread of this nature yet.
I'm all for support in japan but i'm here on the west coast and it does affect me so support here too

Thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Keep at least a half-tank of gas in your car at all times. When people start getting nosebleeds, drive East. Or south. Maybe I should be telling everyone to go East, so I can go South. Hmm. I'll get back to you on the last part once I become an expert at jet streams.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

South like.. Mexico? =o

I've always wanted to live there, could be an excuse

But do you think that Gas will be an issue or will be harder to obtain if radiation comes?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
are people really worrying about radiation in America (from Japan)? Your more likely to get it from your cellphone.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
im in BC and i was thinking of going north.. yukon.. the summer up there will be beautiful.
packing my bags today.. still don't have a vehicle.. anyone out there driving north want company?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Agreed, except for one thing. If you can keep half a tank, why not a full one? And maybe a 5 gal jug or 2 in the trunk?

Just never know how far ya gotta go and if everyone else is thinking the same thing... no gas at the pumps.

Just sayin...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Yes, radiation products like Caesium & Strontium products can (and will) get into our food chain. Hopefully, the release of radioactive elements will be limited.

To a certain extent, radiation products have always been in our foods (in small amounts), even before we figured out how to split the atom, so our bodies have some resistance to low dose radiation.

Normally, we would only be afraid of Gamma radiation in the environment due to its high penetrating power and its level of energy, however in foods, lower power and less energetic radiation like Beta and Alpha radiation become a problem.

As far as consumption of affected products, the food chain tends to concentrate radioactive isotopes the further up the chain you go, so you could reduce your dose by assuming a vegetarian diet.

Also, Iodine in the diet can help defend your body from some of the problems caused by radiation. You could get iodine tablets from your pharmacist. Iodine is also added to some foods (like salt) and so you could buy "Iodised Salt" but I am unsure if this would provide enough Iodine to be effective.
edit on 13/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Eat lots of iodized salt, it will protect you from the radiation that is coming. However, it won't protect you from high blood pressure or heart attack.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here's the thing...

No need to worry UNTIL there is an actual meltdown that allows for contamination to reach the jet stream. If this doesn't happen, the west coast will never see any side effects.

Here is a reliable way to track radiation levels of the west coast. It is updated every 3 minutes. (Just in case)

www.radiationnetwork.com...

Also, just for your information, from our current jet streams, it would take roughly 40-80 hours for contamination to reach the U.S from Japan.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

well Seattle here...
iodide is a word.. look it up.. nuff said-- without panic -

i have 2 kids... food seed - animals ..

don't panic....
first law..
enough people will "freak out" around the cities ,, keep YOUR head..

fear is the mind killer----- i heard once... "Dune?" i think?

become friends with farmers,, today.... or
join a "GRANGE" nearby..

dont just get into a car and drive........... you will cause more harm unless you have a plan and a destination..
and supplies to get yourself there,,

make a "jump bag" with food water first aid flashlights blankets change of socks for however many people you care to supply, and then read about what to do next... nothing will happen THIS week (oh god i hope)

but to be prepared in goods and things,, is only as important as it is.. you just CAN"T carry enough with you..

YOUR mind is the MOST important item to bring with you... keep it light....(from fear and stress)
go to the library,, and get books...
ask others about what they have in their jump-bags..
on ATS there is plenty of resources

www.abovetopsecret.com...

baconreport.blogspot.com...

and DON"T PANIC

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Here's the thing...

No need to worry UNTIL there is an actual meltdown that allows for contamination to reach the jet stream. If this doesn't happen, the west coast will never see any side effects.

Here is a reliable way to track radiation levels of the west coast. It is updated every 3 minutes. (Just in case)

www.radiationnetwork.com...

Also, just for your information, from our current jet streams, it would take roughly 40-80 hours for contamination to reach the U.S from Japan.

I appreciate this very much.

---
Also yes fear is indeed a KILLER, but i'd rather be safe then sorry for this =o

Originally posted by chr0naut
Yes, radiation products like Caesium & Strontium products can (and will) get into our food chain. Hopefully, the release of radioactive elements will be limited.

To a certain extent, radiation products have always been in our foods (in small amounts), even before we figured out how to split the atom, so our bodies have some resistance to low dose radiation.

Normally, we would only be afraid of Gamma radiation in the environment due to its high penetrating power and its level of energy, however in foods, lower power and less energetic radiation like Beta and Alpha radiation become a problem.

As far as consumption of affected products, the food chain tends to concentrate radioactive isotopes the further up the chain you go, so you could reduce your dose by assuming a vegetarian diet.

Also, Iodine in the diet can help defend your body from some of the problems caused by radiation. You could get iodine tablets from your pharmacist. Iodine is also added to some foods (like salt) and so you could buy "Iodised Salt" but I am unsure if this would provide enough Iodine to be effective.
edit on 13/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

This was very helpful. I know little about radiation, and this was a mini lesson

edit on 13-3-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The past two days my girlfriends son has been sick and has pouring blood nose bleeds, now I do know using common sense that within 24 hours of the Japan earthquake that this couldn't have happened to him because of it taking at the least a 24 hour period affecting him now as far as it affecting us is a different story no matter what a scientists will say because they are made to let loose info when need be (for those of you scientists around the world) NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!! I feel that the children around me are showing sickness, insubordination to there parents (of course we accept a major part of it) :directed towards single teen moms of america,,, It is worse than ever never seen american kids so bad like now, I mean dang i thought i was bad but....Just to say that this reply will lead to further replies and will lead into discussions about life in general if anyone wants to debate talk or argue about things as i see them,,, I would love private messages and threads thrown in my direction,,, Want to know more?, message me I have a lot to add to this site!!!!!!! NO JOKE!!!!!!! Has Far as I'am concerned I am an alien riding the tsunami's of the world on my cloud board!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Also, rest assured that you don't have to be the only one monitoring radiation levels. The Health Department of Washington State has also stated that they are monitoring it as well.

amerpundit.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Chill guys the rads wont be all that bad, havent ya ever played fallout? Worst case you'll turn into a super mutant with hellish strength.....or a mindless raving ghoul
. Either way yall be fine life goes on.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned bentonite clay as a way to help
combat radiation poisoning. I keep a bottle of liquid bentonite clay in
my frig that I use for cleansing. Betonite Clay is made from a special
kind of volcanic ash. It carries a negative charge. Most toxins, poisons,
bacteria, viruses and heavy metals carry a positive charge.
Consequently it attracts those things and flushes them out via the
colon. I've been using bentonite clay for cleansing purposes the last
couple of years and wondered if it would help with radiation poisoning.
Sure enough I found plenty. I've only drunk the liquid kind myself but
bentonite clay has all kinds of healing properties with all sorts of ways
to apply it:

Russian scientists use Bentonite to protect their bodies from radiation when working with nuclear material, by coating their hands and bodies with a hydrated Bentonite “mama” before putting on the radiation suits. It absorbs radiation so well, that it was the choice material used to dump into Chernobyl after the nuclear meltdown in the former Soviet Union.

Source

join