It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish and SHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The Amish are a facinating people. They are disiplined and intelligent, and in general they are good people. Having members of your group that are Amish would probably be benificial for the group, and I'm sure that they would be willing to exchange work for protection, as they seem to be a practical group.

Amish are the ultimate survivalists.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The amish would fare very well, I believe. I've worked with them a fair bit and they are a hardworking group. So much knowledge among them that just doesn't exist anywhere else anymore.
Where I live now,there are no Amish but there are lots of Hutterites. I think they may fare even better than the Amish,as they live all together in a huge compound like setup. They use modern farming techniques and machinery as well as other modern tech, but they are quite self sufficient. They grow their own food, do their own butchering, often produce thier own power and so on. They are quite frugal and very good at doing these things efficiently. I believe they are also technically pacifists but I doubt you'd want to try raiding their community.

If modern technology were to completely dissapear,which is extremely unlikely, the Amish would probably be best equipped. However, in the at least plausible scenario of depression or social upheaval, I think the Hutterites might be the best place to make friends.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Although they may be pacifist I don't think they would have much to worry about. The livestock can take care of itself and the city boys would learn pretty fast that most livestock is not gentle sweet little lambies and weigh in at several times what a human does.

I suggest learning how to spin wool and knit for yourself rather than trying to feed off the skills and work of others. I also feel the same about public servants but that belongs on another thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I read an article not too long ago that said that something like 90% of the Amish no longer farm anymore and depend on outside jobs to make ends meet.

I am sure there are groups that still live the old way but it said most are integrating into a modern workforce now days.

It's a same but I guess you do what you have to.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Did it mention why amish farming is on the decline?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
s&f for you!
I have always been amazed by the Amish. & would love to live in Lancaster by them!

My mother worked for them when I was younger (around 9 years old) and they were so nice.
We got to go to big family celebration one day. big dinner and fun all day long. went swimming in a pond. ate delicious real food. and ran around a pig farm.

Their way of life is amazing. they are so self sufficient. and always ready to help out another, and so forgiving. I feel a strange connection to them. don't know why. just do.

I had never thought about a survival situation involving the Amish. they probably would take people in.
as far as defending themselves I would believe the men would protect their families. they are very gentle in nature but I am sure if someone were to come after them (in shtf scenario) they would be the same as most people would be in protecting their family.

I also wouldn't recommend everyone going to seek out the Amish either in such a situation. they would probably expect you (if your able) to help out with things. as you should!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
I have respect for the Amish. They life a life of discipline I could not imagine. But not only that, their daily life is amazing.

I have a lot of respect for them too - - but they have a serious problem with incest and teenage rape. Suppression creates its own problems

I do think we might all be better if we lived something similar to the Amish - - minus the religion part.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
reply to post by mwood

Did it mention why amish farming is on the decline?

In my area Mennonite farming is on the decline. They are buying businesses to support themselves. The main reason I've heard is the cost of gas. They use a circular sprinkler system - - the motor runs on gas.

The "costs" of farming makes it non-profitable.

Mennonites are similar to Amish except they use electricity and drive cars.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If I lived in the states I would probably go live with the amish right about now.. or 3 months ago.

Originally posted by Argen

Originally posted by AmaterasuAs for the Amish... I am in mid-state NY, and there are many Amish here

Hi neighbor!

Hello neighbors...

Do y'all realize this is 'god' putting y'all in contact with each other? Think about it..

You all notice this thread.. you all live near each other and you're probably all worried about TSHTF since you're on ATS.
What if this is synchronicity, divine guidance, a sacred coincidence if you will?

Or not.. who knows, I'm just sayin'.. I thought it was a little peculiar.

I had an overwhelming urge to point this out to you for some reason. Maybe things are heating up big time.

2011 is gonna be big..

Good luck if things turn bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join