It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama resumes Military Tribunals at GITMO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama approved Monday the resumption of military trials for detainees at the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, ending a two-year ban.

It was the latest acknowledgment that the detention facility Obama had vowed to shut down within a year of taking office will remain open for some time to come.

“I strongly believe that the American system of justice is a key part of our arsenal in the war against al-Qaida and its affiliates, and we will continue to draw on all aspects of our justice system — including Article III courts — to ensure that our security and our values are strengthened,” the president said in a statement. Article III courts are military commissions.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Two years after the President declared closing the detention center at Guantanamo Bay one of his highest priorities, he changed direction and decided it was in the nations best interest to ensure it keeps operating. This is just the latest in a long line of bad policy decisions and broken promises by the man who promised the nation “Change”. Maybe he should bring back the color coded fear-o-meter (terror alerts) while he’s at it.

I hope that now, it is understood by all Progressives, Liberals, and others who were duped into voting for this fraud that the only thing that changed was the name of the person holding the highest office, nothing more. Barack Obama is every bit as destructive as George W. Bush ever was, perhaps even more so. At least G.W. never lied to us about his tyrannical policy decisions.

The fact that the President believes that the Military Commissions Act is an integral part of our justice system is an insult. Apparently the president feels that Habeas Corpus is an age old relic that no longer applies to current circumstances. How on earth can our “values” be strengthened when they are continuously compromised by the direction of our President?

I suppose he knows whats best for all of us. Reminds me of a guy that makes his home in Crawford, Texas.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

He's an empty suit. Always has, always will be!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
He obviously considers his campaign promises to be quite sacred.

You are right on the money as far as Obama and Bush go. I am waiting for Obama to pull off a latex mask, a'la Mission Impossible, and we have GW Bush standing there!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It was funny last night my kids was watching megamind and there were parts that had a obama poster that said no we cant lol

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Originally posted by butcherguy
He obviously considers his campaign promises to be quite sacred.

You are right on the money as far as Obama and Bush go. I am waiting for Obama to pull off a latex mask, a'la Mission Impossible, and we have GW Bush standing there!

I know, it's disgusting...

Here's the 60 minutes clip of him saying he's gonna close GITMO

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Finally some good news!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Maybe it comes down to budget cuts? Maybe this is something more up his alley?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Lmfao I love that. One hell of a charlies angel squad right there!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think it was a attempted selling point for Obama, at the time of his inauguration. By " selling " the people on the idea that he was a humanitarian, would " clinch " the favor of the people. But he knew, from the very get go, that he was never going to do any such thing. Typical politician.

Thank goodness, he's a one termer! 2012 can't get her soon enough!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Face it you noobs bought his whole "change" explanation, wanting to win votes by saying, he will close gitmo, bring our troops back, pay for your house. Hes a politician, face it. You fell for this loser bigtime.

top topics

join