It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Proposes Ban on 1000's of Plants Including National Flower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

foodfreedom.wordpress.com

Legislation being proposed in Australia would criminalize most permaculturists, farmers, gardeners, nurseries and bush regenerators by banning any plant that contains '___' – a naturally-occurring hallucinogen. Five plants are currently criminalized, but the new list will include hundreds (possibly thousands) of other species that are common garden plants and include a significant number of common native plants including the national flower, the wattle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gardenfreedom.com

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
We need to act now to stop this idiotic piece of legislation.
People need to know this can never be enforced and will only be selectively enforced by the authorities. Leaving an open door for criminal charges if you happen to have any and you may not even know.

Acacias pretty much line the east coast of Australia, vast fields of phalaris are normal used for pasture regeneration.
Several acacias species are actually endangered some of which I personally cultivate, not for '___' but because they are endangered.

I'd say 99% of the hundreds of thousands of people who will be affected by this are not even drug users! And these drugs '___', mescaline etc.. are not even prominent on the black market. Only a small number of plants included in the ephedra species are viable for extraction, but most criminal speed cookers don't grow plants, they get over the counter pharmacueticals! They won't ban those though.

Mad as hell, follow the GardenFreedom link above for more informaton and a way to have your say.

edit on 28-2-2011 by squiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
OMG! What idiots these people are! It's found in our systems, for crying out loud! Like cannabanoids.

If I was in Australia, I'd be right behind you in opposing this insane legislation. (And pounding on the doors of the government to eliminate the ban on even ONE such plant.

What are they thinking, anyway!?!
edit on 2/28/2011 by Amaterasu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Just wanted to add, please regard the T&C of ATS on this subject. While the subject pertains to illicit drugs this law will affect hundreds of thousands of people including farmers, nurseries, city councils, herbal and traditional cultural practises as well as simple gardeners and collectors. It also hinders potentially important reseach in the medicinal qualities of these plants.
Please, this thread is not about drug use or extractions.

But yes ban the brain indeed.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Absolute insanity... If they had their way the countries in the west will end up nothing more than soulless conglomerations of glass and steel... Plants are a vital and necessary part of the environment... Bit shocked its oz proposing such idiocy rather than america..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
This has already been posted here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Existing thread (with exactly the same thread title too) here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by squiz

Legislation being proposed in Australia would criminalize most permaculturists, farmers, gardeners, nurseries and bush regenerators by banning any plant that contains '___' – a naturally-occurring hallucinogen. Five plants are currently criminalized, but the new list will include hundreds (possibly thousands) of other species that are common garden plants and include a significant number of common native plants including the national flower, the wattle.

Related News Links:
www.gardenfreedom.com

Awesome, more silly bans against plants that have a history in the worlds culture, which possibly could have medical applications, and which are sometimes just downright fun.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
So what are they going to do, go around spraying the whole country with roundup? So many of the listed plants grow naturally everywhere.

Stupidest most ludicrous legislation I've ever seen.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Thanks for the heads up, was a little hasty in my rage and missed your thread.

It is in a different forum though, the more exposure the better.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ok so before we jump up and down making a mountain out of a mole hill let's step back and look at this without the conspiracy hat on.

This proposal is at the public consultation phase, nothing has passed legislation yet and if it does, well I will be at the front line protesting as loud as anybody else.

Being a landscaper this could ruin my business.

Just a note too, it' not known if the Acacia pycnantha (Australia's floral emblem) has any psychoactive properties or not, which is similar to a lot of the proposed plants so far as I can tell.

For example, we're talking 0.2% '___' in the leaves, how much of that would you need to make any kind of usable drug?

Then there is the fact that this proposed legislation is meant to target drug dealers.

Look out large wholesale nurseries!

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
absolutely pathetic! the most likely want to ban them so some company can buy the rights to the chemicals in the plants and then control and regulate them to the population !

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
reply to post by Mythkiller

Thanks for the heads up, was a little hasty in my rage and missed your thread.

It is in a different forum though, the more exposure the better.

I agree, just send the flags my way

edit on 28-2-2011 by Mythkiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
lol what dumb asses if they are trying to get rid of human access to '___' they need to BAN the human BRAIN!!!(which is to believed to release '___' while in REM sleep which causes dreaming to occur)

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by squiz

I'm amazed this is in Australia and not America. Such stupidity doesn't surprise me over here.

Australia is usually for protecting flora and fauna... not destroying it. Surely this wont pass. I hope not anyway, and I don't even live there.

I'd like to know how they expect to get rid of everything anyway. If many of these plants grow wild, about the only thing they could do would be to release a plant disease or non-native insect that is known to kill the plants and that is very un-Australian.

And to think that someone could get in trouble for having a fricken weed growing on his/her property and not even knowing it. What the hell is this world coming to? Can't this people spend their time coming up with helpful legislation that actually helps the people??? Instead they just make themselves look like complete idiots.

Wouldn't outlawing their own national flower make them the laughing stock of the world? I think so.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
:massive facepalm:

Good luck. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
hmmm like its been said before, this exact subject is on another thread with the EXACT SAME TITLE! Hey OP, you should u2u the OP of the original thread. Obviously your minds think alike!

I have posted some information on the other thread, heres a piece of information I just found concerning '___' producing plants on Wikipedia. ( great another wikipedia expert
)
en.wikipedia.org...

International Law
'___' is classified as a Schedule I drug under the UN 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, meaning that use of '___' is supposed to be restricted to scientific research and medical use and international trade in '___' is supposed to be closely monitored. Natural materials containing '___', including ayahuasca, are explicitly not regulated under the 1971 Psychotropic Convention.[100]

Scientific research, medical use and international trade...... What about for helping your people experience life the way it was intended?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Everyone Chill.

This is not going to happen. It would never be legislated upon. Completely ridiculous! Add to that, a policeman would have to be have a PHD in botany to recognise majority of the plants in the first place.. lol!

IRM

top topics

join