It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS Withdraw The Star Rating System?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hello dear ATSers,

I know this open question probably won't be well accepted. The purpose of this thread is mostly to discuss how ATS would be without the star rating system. Don't get me wrong, the idea of the star rating system is great and very fun. However, there are some problems associated with this.

The main problem with it, in my opinion, is that it sometimes encourages people to post stupid, off-topic, or arrogant posts, especially when a debunker vs believer war is ongoing. Too many times did I see one-liner arrogant posts, often composed of attacks towards the original poster or the user bringing the controversial claim.

Even though this system may look very useful when one wants to know the credibility of a poster, to my eyes, it isn't so. It does show how much the user participates in the forums life, but it is the only thing it does. I believe the star system has been implemented to give the user an quick overview of the reputation of the posting user, and the idea works really well when the forums are devoid of arrogant posters. Ever noticed how the most aggressive users are alway the ones who have to most stars.

Fact is, an inappropriated post may well be awarded with a lot of stars if it is intended to be an attack to the claimer, usually in a believer vs debunker war. Debunkers rate inappropriated debunkers posts, and believers do the same.

Shouldn't we judge a post by the quality of it, instead of the user's star rating? I'm generalizing here. I'm not saying everyone is doing so. I'm just saying that sometimes, the star rating system encourages displaced posts in order to get more stars. I believe I'm not the only one who has noticed the pattern.

To me, flags are the answer. They are really good at sizing the quality of a thread. Stars are more headed towards the ego.

So I ask you, should ATS withdraw the star rating system in order to enhance the level of discussion in the threads? Do you think it would stop egomaniacal and stop some of the users who come here to troll, create a controverse, and argue for the sake of arguing? I think people don't get the idea of this rating system right. It is supposed to rate the quality of the post, the effort put in it! Not to show how many people are sided with the poster.

Please note this is a purely hypothetical question. It applies more in the situation of a believer vs debunker war, and I know that some use the rating very well, as it is intended!

This is purely my opinion and I wanted to share it with you and get to know your point of view.

Have a nice day!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If its not broke dont fix it, in my opinion this site rocks, just the way it is.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I always supported the star system, but I'd also add a downvote button.
There seems to be some folk who are s/f whores and almost panhandle for them.
With a downvote button there could be some normalization over the life of a thread.
Why should we only be able to thumbs up? I think it would give a voice to everyone equally, not just those who tag their friends' threads.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I like the star system i hope it never goes away..What i don't care for is some of the silly threads were the OP gets 20 stars and the serious well thought out threads get 5 stars that to me is a bit unfair ..but i still support the star and flag system so i say leave it alone! ~~peace

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
I always supported the star system, but I'd also add a downvote button.
With a downvote button there could be some normalization over the life of a thread.
Why should we only be able to thumbs up? I think it would give a voice to everyone equally, not just those who tag their friends' threads.

In my opinion this would just be the same as the stars rating system for example if a debunker comes into a thread with a valid point and he is outnumbered by believers in that thread most likely than note he would get tons of down vote that may lower his credentials just because he is outnumbered in a particular thread although his point is valid.

So for me I guess ATS would be better off without the stars rating or any kind of rating that can be exploited by users to say they agree/disagree with you. The Applause system is much better IMO because the Mods would be unbiased when giving them.

Just my two cents.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
yes they should, take away the flag system as well

new topics

top topics

join