It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Earth a giant Geode with a solid crystal core

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I stumbled across this web page today while doing a search for magnetic properties of crystal.
www.psc.edu...

According to this document, and after skimming through it saw the final statement which is below.

Could an iron ball 1,500 miles across be a single crystal? Unheard of until this work, the idea has prompted realization that the temperature-pressure extremes of the inner core offer ideal conditions for crystal growth. Several high-pressure laboratories have experiments planned to test these results. A strongly oriented inner core could also explain anomalies of Earth's magnetic field, such as tilted field lines near the equator. "To do these esoteric quantum calculations," says Stixrude, "solutions which you can get only with a supercomputer, and get results you can compare directly with messy observations of nature and help explain them -- this has been very exciting."

I remember going on a tour of a cave here in Texas and while in the gift shop I was looking at the geodes and thinking to myself how big could a geode grow.

Then I remembered watching the growing earth videos a few years back and everything started clicking.
Sure enough Neal Adams talks about geodes in his website. www.nealadams.com...
In his article he talks about iron geodes and how they may form in space. He also talks about how meteorites when cut open have crystalline cores.

What I got from all this is the earth and possibly other planets started off as crystal structures using gases like sodium and chlorine amongst the many others that are present in space at the molecular level and slowly grew larger over billions of years. As gravity increased they of course attracted other similar structures . At the heart of it though these crystal structures continued to grow increasing the outer shells diameter to what we have today.
Further more the crystal have an influence in the magnetic field lines and possibly be the actual source of the earths magnetic field if the prominent crystal structure at the core is actually something like Magnetite. Magnetite is a natural crystal after all and if a dominant growth is indeed Magnetite then that could explain why some planets have magnetic fields and others don't. It may just be luck of the draw as to which crystal structure is more dominant in the initial growth process. We do know that in all volcanic eruptions there are Magnetite deposits being ejected.

I just thought all of this is really interesting.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Anything is possible... check out this old ATS thread.... Awesome !

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Accretion. You're on the right track. The leading theory out lines a process in which matter gathers in ever greater quantities to form everything from tiny meteors to stars themselves. In planetary formation the process produces vast amounts of heat, leaving the forming body viscous and dynamic. Over time this leads heavy elements to move towards the center of gravity within the body. This, we think, is how our solid core developed. Over time the planet cooled enough for these elements to harden at the core. Lighter elements under less pressure remain above their melting point and this is our inner mantle. It is the interaction of these layers that produces our magnetic field, much like an electric motor, in reverse.

new topics

join