It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US closer to recognising gay marriage after White House announcement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

US closer to recognising gay marriage after White House announcement

www.guardian.co.uk

Gay rights activists are celebrating another step forward after the Obama administration announced it would no longer defend legislation that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

The decision opens the way for the federal government to recognise same-sex marriages. It comes only three months after the White House said it would end legislation discriminating against gay men and lesbians in the military.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I have no problem with this. Despite what many of the "anti's" have expressed about this sort of legislation eroding the institution of marriage I do not feel my own marriage in the least bit of jeopardy.

I know of older retired heterosexual folks that have out-lived their marriages and now reside with life-long friends with only themselves to look after each other. If it would benefit them to have a "marriage" in order to have familial rights in the hospitals or to carry out each others final wishes then so be it. I believe two people regardless of gender should have the opportunity to "tie the knot" if it earns them rights or privileges,

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-2-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What will he do next? Make it legal to have sex and marry a animal, probably so...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm glad his schedule is too busy to speak on Libya, but he has time for this nonsense.....
Priorities seem a little off to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Let the Gays have their marriage after all they too are entitled to rights. We are all humans so there's really nothing wrong with gay marriage

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
What will he do next? Make it legal to have sex and marry a animal, probably so...

I might be inclined to agree that marriage is an institution between two persons - human, that is - but if some old lady can leave her estate to her cat then who am I to determine what a person should do? I have always spoken in favor of liberty, for people to do as they please if it doesn't cause harm to others.

You suggest bestiality, OK then, if that be their desire and there is no animal cruelty involved then why not? Perhaps because the animal could not defend itself in court if there were problems, Animals have rights too.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

This is great news, it is time we live in this century, I also would like to see marriage between two women or two men legalized, it could include friends who are straight and decide to live together for whatever reason, it would also give them rights that they don't have.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I'm glad his schedule is too busy to speak on Libya, but he has time for this nonsense.....
Priorities seem a little off to me.

I could be off here... but this may be in response to recent (well, not so recent) criticisms of the United States track record on human rights and how homosexuals in America are often treated as second class citizens when it comes to their rights versus what I myself take for granted as a heterosexual living in this country. This doesn't/shouldn't take away or shadow what is happening in Libya (which seems to be your point). Rather I see it as concurring stories. Obama may be afraid to make a definitive statement at this point in time. Obviously he will step on so many different toes regardless of how he answers.

Or it could be that Obama promised in his campaign that he would work on solving some of the inadequacies homosexuals in the country face.

I understand where you are coming from here, just trying to throw out some other possible ideas.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Bout time **Obama** grew some stones. Of course this is only a rampup for his re-election campaign.
edit on Wed Feb 23 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD EDIT: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join